Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

650Ginge wrote: »
    I am going to ring about this. Only€935 to tax.
    Is that including haggling?

Seweryn wrote: »
    Is that including haggling?

He said to tax, not to buy :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

He said to tax, not to buy :P
    I know that, but did he try :p ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Too bad for me that this is in Cork:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2691967

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I don't know why the owner decided to remove the centre trim panel on the boot. It just looks silly without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Not really. The new turbo last week would cause some reason for concern.

It would make the car more appealing to me anyway with a new turbo,but I see your point about the rest of the car being possibly ruined.

166man wrote: »
    It would make the car more appealing to me anyway with a new turbo,but I see your point about the rest of the car being possibly ruined.

Turbo gone due to oil starvation is a possibility, I'd want to know why it was changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Turbo gone due to oil starvation is a possibility, I'd want to know why it was changed.

I'd be alot more worried about a proper job being done on replacing the turbo rather then why it failed.

Having said that, the last couple of saab turbo failures I've done have been down to poor maintenance/low oil levels.:eek:

I'd be alot more worried about a proper job being done on replacing the turbo rather then why it failed.

Having said that, the last couple of saab turbo failures I've done have been down to poor maintenance/low oil levels.:eek:

Why would you be more concerned about the job on the turbo? Surely the reason it went in the first place would be of more concern.

Also, @Volvoman, the reason why I posted that Volvo was because it's a black, bog spec 02 S40 (similar to the E200 I posted that you didn't like) for an extra few hundred. I was wondering if you'd thank the post or not, and you did, so it shows your bias :pac::pac::p

• Advertisement

Also, @Volvoman, the reason why I posted that Volvo was because it's a black, bog spec 02 S40 (similar to the E200 I posted that you didn't like) for an extra few hundred. I was wondering if you'd thank the post or not, and you did, so it shows your bias :pac::pac::p

It's not bog spec. It has alloys, spoiler, plush velour interior and the winter pack (heated seats + headlamp wash/wipe). That's genuinely a good find for 1500 euro.

I'd forgotten that I criticised that W210 E-Class. It's strange how you still must hold a grudge.

VolvoMan wrote: »
    It's not bog spec. It has alloys, spoiler, plush velour interior and the winter pack (heated seats + headlamp wash/wipe). That's genuinely a good find for 1500 euro.

I'd forgotten that I criticised that W210 E-Class. It's strange how you still must hold a grudge.

The Merc had alloys, didn't need a spoiler. As for the interior, it's very 90's looking.

I'm only proving a point :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Why would you be more concerned about the job on the turbo? Surely the reason it went in the first place would be of more concern.

Because the reason it went in the first place should have been rectified while fitting the new turbo if its been done properly.

In the majority of cases, the turbo failure is simply a symptom of another problem, and if a new turbo is just bolted on, then its likely to fail again in a very short time.....hence being more concerned with the job being done properly.

Because the reason it went in the first place should have been rectified while fitting the new turbo if its been done properly.

In the majority of cases, the turbo failure is simply a symptom of another problem, and if a new turbo is just bolted on, then its likely to fail again in a very short time.....hence being more concerned with the job being done properly.

Oh sorry, I assumed when you said proper job on replacing the turbo you solely meant just replacing the turbo. We're pretty much saying the same thing in different ways.

The Merc had alloys, didn't need a spoiler. As for the interior, it's very 90's looking.

It had crap aftermarket ones at that.

The reason the interior is very 90's looking is because the car itself is from the 90's.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2669068

They're genuine Merc wheels

They look like ones off a base model R230 SL. Along with the tacky aftermarket chrome, they can't disguise that this is rock bottom of the E-Class range. I don't know what the seller means by "Avant" either, as it is certainly not Avatgarde trim if that's what he's trying to say.

It still hasn't sold yet anyway, so it seems the public must agree with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,013 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Why does he call it Avant?

They look like ones off a base model R230 SL. Along with the tacky aftermarket chrome, they can't disguise that this is rock bottom of the E-Class range. I don't know what the seller means by "Avant" either, as it is certainly not Avatgarde trim if that's what he's trying to say.

It still hasn't sold yet anyway, so it seems the public must agree with me.

All jokes aside would you buy the 1.8 s40 over the E200 Limerick_Man posted up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Quazzie wrote: »
    Why does he call it Avant?
    because he can't spell Avantgarde :D

• Advertisement

RoverJames wrote: »
    All jokes aside would you buy the 1.8 s40 over the E200 Limerick_Man posted up?

I wouldn't buy either.;)

peasant wrote: »
    because he can't spell Avantgarde :D

Or it wouldn't fit in the title ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,612 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@Volvoman, the reason why I posted that Volvo was because it's a black, bog spec 02 S40 (similar to the E200 I posted that you didn't like) for an extra few hundred.

I was genuinely confused why the hell you posted that Carisma :D

unkel wrote: »
    I was genuinely confused why the hell you posted that Carisma :D

There's nothing wrong with a Carisma either if it's priced right.

We're straying away from the original rules of this thread anyway. The initial bangernomics budget of 1k has been doubled with some of the things that have been posted lately. This thread should be about basic motoring with NCT for under 1k rather than Lithuanian gangster 728i's on the minimum.

We're straying away from the original rules of this thread anyway. The initial bangernomics budget of 1k has been doubled with some of the things that have been posted lately. This thread should be about basic motoring with NCT for under 1k rather than Lithuanian gangster 728i's on the minimum.

Not this discussion yet again please...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

There's nothing wrong with a Carisma either if it's priced right.

Carisma? S40? Synonyms.

Agree about the trend away from proper Bangernomics, let's get back to our roots, I need a new car and it has to be better than a Corsa!

To get us back on track for €500:

View2-8622391.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2694875

Confab wrote: »

Could be well worth it, 12 months driving for not much €s.

I'd say 400 would buy it. A lot of car for the money with a years NCT!

@Confab - they're probably reasonable on insurance. Quite the opposite of a boy racer car, I would have thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I just bought a Mazda 323f (Familia Sport-Jap) new model '98 95,000 miles, 1.5VVT DOHC (redlines at 7,800rpm, with 130bhp on Jap fuel :D) with newish timing belt, four decent tyres, ABS, alloys, roof rails, twin airbags, CD player, air con that works, four electric windows, new timing belt and history for E930 (E950 plus E20 'luck money'). I got 39mpg over 160km @about 125km/h mostly motorway miles. It's going well. I think that's bangernomics. The only criticism I have is that the new tyres have been fitted backwards on one side. Easily remedied though.
    I'm goin' on the pull in her tonight. They'll be flockin' :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Just curious, what extra, if any, would be essential on any older car that you're buying for less than a grand.? For me it'd have to be ABS. It's really a great safety feature and is well worth searching for in my opinion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement