Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

My car doesn't have ABS, I think it teaches you how a car reacts better than one with ABS, but that's me. I also think the same about power steering, I personally don't like it, especially on ice, because it's a lot easier to "feel" the road when traction lessens.

Pity most of the non power steering polo's are scrapped now. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

coolbeans wrote: »
    Just curious, what extra, if any, would be essential on any older car that you're buying for less than a grand.? For me it'd have to be ABS. It's really a great safety feature and is well worth searching for in my opinion.
    I agree ABS and at least 2 airbags is well doable on bangernomics budget. You'd wonder how many lives would have been saved with zero (or reduced) VAT and VRT on safety features*. Shocking that it wasn't standard on some of Irelands favourite cars until 02.

*been done before, don't wanna drag this off topic, just saying..
    I suppose they wouldn't have the money for ad campaigns without taxing safety features

Wouldn't be overly bothered about ABS, neither the Celica or the Prelude I had were ABS equipped, no doubt ABS is preferred but it wouldn't be something that would bother me not having.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

RoverJames wrote: »
    Wouldn't be overly bothered about ABS, neither the Celica or the Prelude I had were ABS equipped, no doubt ABS is preferred but it wouldn't be something that would bother me not having.

Plus the fact under certain conditions it can be defeated (not necessarly snow or frost either) abs is not going to make you invincible.

Creature comforts? Pah! Have a S3 109 Land Rover, doesn't have seatbelts let alone wind up windows. True barebones stuff...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,612 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Those cars were relative lightweights, RJ

For me ABS is priority #1 too

In both my big V8 BMW saloons I had one occasion where I would have hit something without the ABS. Both would have been tiny incidents with only small material damage, but still. The ABS saved a few feet in stopping distance. That and the comforting thought that I can just plant my foot deep into the braking pedal no matter what

My 25 year old car has ABS too :D

• Advertisement

dgt wrote: »
    Plus the fact under certain conditions it can be defeated (not necessarly snow or frost either) abs is not going to make you invincible.

That's the same as saying you're not wearing a seatbelt because under certain conditions it is better to be thrown out of the window than to be trapped inside :)

coolbeans wrote: »
    .....................any older car that you're buying for less than a grand.? ....................
    unkel wrote: »
    Those cars were relative lightweights, RJ

For me ABS is priority #1 too

In both my big V8 BMW saloons ..................

True but they fall into the criteria mentioned :)
    The Prelude was €850 and you'd buy a 3SGE powered Celica for under a grand too. Not many V8 BMWs about for under a grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I thought the budget was always 2 grand? Where's this 1,000 coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

€2k but alot of car at the moment, almost too much really for bangernomics! It should be no more than 1500 but preferably less than €1k. It's more fun that way

Surely the idea of bangernomics is to find a car for say €850 with a years NCT and run it for the year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

That's not the point, as far back as I can remember it's been €2k, I'm just wondering at which point that changed.

• Advertisement

That's not the point, as far back as I can remember it's been €2k, I'm just wondering at which point that changed.

I'm only on about the €1000 that coolbeans mentioned in his post. Regarding this thread I think the criteria often missed by folk is posting stuff that you'd drive yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Have a S3 109 Land Rover, doesn't have seatbelts let alone wind up windows. True barebones stuff...

Surely an S3 should have belts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

si_guru wrote: »
    Surely an S3 should have belts?

If its before '79 they weren't compulsory to be fitted.

Series 3 ran from 72 to 85-86 I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

RoverJames wrote: »

I had at least 2 brown trouser moments in my Prelude.

ABS is a must for me now. Never know what can happen ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

That's the same as saying you're not wearing a seatbelt because under certain conditions it is better to be thrown out of the window than to be trapped inside :)

Just making the point that the units can fail, I wouldn't fully rely on it alone. People did survive before wothout it

As for the S3 its a 1974 ex mod yoke, clearly wasnt compulsary in those days

Just making the point that the units can fail, I wouldn't fully rely on it alone. People did survive before wothout it

ABS units are very reliable when they are active!

But I do take your point. I even seem to remember that early cars with ABS in Germany (about 30 years ago) were more often involved in accidents than similar cars without ABS a few years before. I think the suggestion was that people with ABS drove faster / riskier than before :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

ABS units are very reliable when they are active!

But I do take your point. I even seem to remember that early cars with ABS in Germany (about 30 years ago) were more often involved in accidents than similar cars without ABS a few years before. I think the suggestion was that people with ABS drove faster / riskier than before :)

Lads, more bangers! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I always assumed Bangernomics was <€1000.

Full?id=8133176

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2576608

Confab wrote: »
    I always assumed Bangernomics was <€1000.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2576608
    Worst dipped beams ever, bet the boot leaks (altho maybe the saloon is worse), seats were awful in the one I had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

langdang wrote: »
    Worst dipped beams ever, bet the boot leaks (altho maybe the saloon is worse), seats were awful in the one I had.

Cheap runaround. That's all there is to it.

• Advertisement

Sobanek wrote: »
    Cheap runaround. That's all there is to it.
    Yeah, looks in better condition than mine anyway. Judging by how long it has been for sale there's not many people as desperate as I was...

Auto T5 with unspecified mileage but long test...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2685099

Full?id=8580418

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

As for the S3 its a 1974 ex mod yoke, clearly wasnt compulsary in those days

Seat belts were compulsory since 1965 in a PLG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

It's always been a grand. It's just the budget limit has not been always adherred to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

VolvoMan wrote: »
    It's always been a grand. It's just the budget limit has not been always adherred to.

This discussion has been done before. Can we just drop it please?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

€700 bobs........quare value!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2643575

View2?id=8412985

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

This discussion has been done before. Can we just drop it please?

I'm sorry, but I wasn't aware of any 'discussion'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

VolvoMan wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but I wasn't aware of any 'discussion'.

oh T'was a terrible time , not even the children were spared :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

MidlandsM wrote: »
    €700 bobs........quare value!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2643575

View2?id=8412985

"Never needed a service cos it was well looked after":confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Andrew33 wrote: »
    "Never needed a service cos it was well looked after":confused::confused::confused:

Had a taxi man tell me that during the week...was gobsmacked!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement