Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Bargain runaround alright, I prefer my "bangers" with power assisted ABS brakes and airbags now tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

she's good for another 150,000 miles id reckon. Its not the diesel model, but still a great bangernomics car

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/Carina/E-1.6-XL/201030198980702/advert?channel=CARS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Wait until January comes, we'll be flat out with cars coming in with the 9 year rule system :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭1948Wolseley

I can see the Toyota dealers' ads already: "Buy a headlight bulb and get a Mark 1 Avensis absolutely FREE! (While stocks last. Or until the Sun burns out, whichever is sooner). :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Blue Punto

it will take a while before this is beaten

Im nearly tempted myself

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/1470173

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Dunno, you'd have to have a ream of paperwork to keep that taxed as a limo. Dodgy imo.
    Wait until January comes, we'll be flat out with cars coming in with the 9 year rule system

I forgot about that. Fantastic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

I thought that the 9 year rule is for taxi's and hackney's only and Limo's are exempt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

mullingar wrote: »
    I thought that the 9 year rule is for taxi's and hackney's only and Limo's are exempt

That's the whole point. Lots more Bangernomics cars for us.

I had a quick look to see if the €82 tax could be maintained. (Its €1566 as private!)

From taxi.ie:
    REQUIREMENTS FOR LIMOUSINE LICENCE

• Requirements for vehicle to be in limousine category – must be at least 1900 c.c. and be evidently suited by its style and condition to be used for ceremonial occasions or for corporate or other prestige purposes (S.I. 316 of 1999 as amended by S.I. 255 of 2000)

• Your vehicle has to be certified by NCT as suitable to be licensed for a limousine. This includes certification in relation to road worthiness.

• You are required to produce evidence to the Local Authority that the vehicle is insured as a limousine.

• You are required to produce a Tax Clearance Certificate. Tax clearance requirements Section 37 (1) of the Taxi Regulation Act 2003.

• You are required to pay the appropriate licence fee which is €250.

• Local authority will grant licence subject to the above, and provide the external sign which must be affixed to the rear of the vehicle.

• No other external signage or advertising is permitted

• All requirements are set out in (S.I. 316 of 1999 as amended by 255 of 2000 and 367 of 2000)

So no saving there then between the insurance (which would be expensive), Registering for tax (and fees/accountants etc etc) plus the €250 licence (/yr?)

Do you have to re-tax the car as private as soon as its sold???

If not, you could get the current owners to tax it for 12 months @ €83, change ownership, then re-tax it as private in 12 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

9 Year rule!? Pfft!!

You's are never getting my collection of Carinas/Coronas!!!

BTW as for that 300SE as limo tax, each year that you tax it, it would have to have a vaild limo licence and insurance cert for public liability before you get your €82pa tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

Blue Punto wrote: »
    it will take a while before this is beaten

Im nearly tempted myself

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/1470173

The gratuitous pic of Vladamir Putin is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

I know it says all the info that's officially required to re-tax it as a limo, but I wonder how much of that is required in the real world, where the person behind the desk has no such clue such documentation is needed.

daRobot wrote: »
    I know it says all the info that's officially required to re-tax it as a limo, but I wonder how much of that is required in the real world, where the person behind the desk has no such clue such documentation is needed.

The person behind the desk is doing a job, they would be well versed on what is required to tax a car as a PSV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,013 ✭✭✭Barr

The gratuitous pic of Vladamir Putin is hilarious.

Yet he didn't take a full shot of the car :D

RoverJames wrote: »
    The person behind the desk is doing a job, they would be well versed on what is required to tax a car as a PSV.

You'd think, but not always it seems.

There was a story on here a good while back about a person having a 7 seater that was taxed with the psv rate, and was able to be renewed as same, without all the documents.

Of course there's no proof it's true. Hearsay innit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Blue Punto

BOYS THE WHOLE POINT HERE IS BANGERNOMICS

ITS A BLOODY S CLASS FOR 900 EURO

If you can run the thing on petrol taxing it wont be a problem

And how many of these will still be around in 10 years cause people are afraid of the big engine

@ 900 euro surely it can only appreciate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,381 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I think you are seriously underestimating the person behind the desk. What real world do you live in?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

serious, one hell of a car for 900 squids.

fekkiin hell.

1.2 puntos phfffttttttttt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

• Advertisement

esel wrote: »
    I think you are seriously underestimating the person behind the desk. What real world do you live in?

Keep the patronization out of it for a second, and have a read of my last post. What i'm saying is that there have been a few stories of people continuing on PSV tax without the correct documentation, so how exactly do you propose that happened?

Anyway, this is sidetracking a good thread. Agree to disagree.

Saab Ed wrote: »
    An ex taxi w210 with 260k miles?

Wouldnt be what I would consider bangernomics, therell be a lot of expensive repairs upcoming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Keep the patronization out of it for a second, and have a read of my last post. What i'm saying is that there have been a few stories of people continuing on PSV tax without the correct documentation, so how exactly do you propose that happened?

Anyway, this is sidetracking a good thread. Agree to disagree.

I recon it you kept taxing the vehicle on line you would have no problems. The online tax system is a bit "dumb" so to speak. Im assuming that you would get the renewal in the post for a PSV and off you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Max Power1 wrote: »
    An ex taxi w210 with 260k miles?

Wouldnt be what I would consider bangernomics, therell be a lot of expensive repairs upcoming.
    how do you know it was a taxi?

just curious. :)

vibe666 wrote: »
    how do you know it was a taxi?

just curious. :)

Full?id=3663458

Sport the €84 on the bottom right of the road tax disc?? You may have to zoom in by holding the Ctrl button and scroll your mouse wheel forward/back

That the taxi/hackney/limo rate for 1 year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Saab Ed wrote: »

I don't know why people keep posting up 80's and 90's Mercs. They really aren't the be-all and end-all in bangernomics motoring.

Plus, everyone knows W210's are pure sh1te.

VolvoMan wrote: »
    I don't know why people keep posting up 80's and 90's Mercs. They really aren't the be-all and end-all in bangernomics motoring.

Just for you Volvo Man:

LLLOOONNNGGGG NCT

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1421829

Full?id=3471807
    Volvo s70 , 2.5 petrol 1998. All electric,

Nct 06/12 quick sale.

Price: €600

Sport the €84 on the bottom right of the road tax disc?? You may have to zoom in by holding the Ctrl button and scroll your mouse wheel forward/back

Also the NCT disc says "taxi" and has a plate number opposite where it says taxi!
    VolvoMan wrote: »

+1

However, the previous generation of mercs to the w210 would indeed be to the forefront of my suggestions for bangernomics though. The same comfort etc but without the infamous rust and electrics issues.

The w124 for example would be a way better option for me than the standard carina etc that are the normal bangernomics options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

jebus, you really must have eyes like a hawk! :D

i had trouble seeing that even zoomed in. :eek:

as for the mercs, i think people just like a bit of luxury in their bangers, after all even a old merc is still a merc. ;)

• Advertisement

The W210s are not half as bad as people make them out to be, UK imports are the worst for rust, an Irish one wouldn't be too bad. A well looked after E230 auto in Avantgarde spec with less than 150K miles on it with a recent NCT and service history bought for small money would be a very nice car I reckon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement