Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,612 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Just passed a 95 LS430, absolute monster of the car. Honestly, it has the presence of a Roller.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you...........

.......the Limerick Rolls-Royce:

Fabulous_celsior10_LS400.sized.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I said presence :P Takes up alot of space on the road. Also, it was bog standard, grey/grey.

Takes up alot of space on the road.

Nearly exactly the same footprint as an E38 7-series. Although I suppose the latter looks a bit less...ehhhrmmmm...boxy :p

BTW that 9-5 wagon probably has a massive boot. Just looked up my saloon and it was exactly as big as the E38 (500l)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Saab Ed wrote: »
    You'll get a bit off the asking too. He most likely wants a 1000 pictures of Liz for it. Boat, everything at 2 grand. Some yoke for that wonga.

You sound like Mike Brewer! But yeah, stunning looking car. Unkel's recent purchase has got me thinking of different options for an estate now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

unkel wrote: »
    BTW that 9-5 wagon probably has a massive boot. Just looked up my saloon and it was exactly as big as the E38 (500l)

How you gettin on with it by the way. Which reminds me, i must post pics of where I am with the 9000.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Eoin wrote: »
    You sound like Mike Brewer! QUOTE]

In a strange way thats kinda pumped my ego ....slightly. I've been a lot easier on the pies mind :p

Saab Ed wrote: »
    How you gettin on with it by the way.

This is getting better and better. Just checked in the daylight today and the car only passed the NCT at the end of August, less than 3 months ago. My mechanic said that a lot of money has been spent recently on the suspension, so that must have been to pass the test!!!

The one thing I hated about the car was the old Nokia phone kit, with the holder attached where there seems to be a dedicated space for it. Quite close to the gearlever though, so it had to go. Took it out this morning and just now thought that the microphone and the nokia button thingy looked identical to the ones in the CK-7W bluetooth kit I had in the E39. So I have an idea. I switch on the bluetooth on my phone, and it bloody paired and displayed on the Saab on board computer!!! So included in my €1,350 I now have a fully installed bluetooth kit as well :D:D:D

Edit: I'll be down to Faichney Ringwood next week. By the looks of things they might have done all the work on the car when they serviced it in August. I'll see can I get some copy invoices :)

Just thinking. It has a turbo so it can be remapped, right? Quick google shows that a standard remap will bring 150BHP -> 180BHP and 240NM -> 290NM

That would be very useful

I wonder would it be doable to get the torque curve higher at the lower end of the rev range

Sorry for off topic, maybe I should get a room (thread of me own) :p:o

You can buy fully remapped ECU's fairly cheap for them. I install in for my friend (under the passenger wiper is where the ECU lies, with about 4 screws IIRC and it was an absolutely weapon afterwards.

You can buy fully remapped ECU's fairly cheap for them. I install in for my friend (under the passenger wiper is where the ECU lies, with about 4 screws IIRC and it was an absolutely weapon afterwards.

Didn't I read somewhere that in the case of the Saab 9-5 the car's ECU is programmed to accept the keys? So how can a swap of ECU still let the old keys work? Car has to be programmed to the keys, not the other way around

Anyway, why swap the ECU when a quick hook up can deliver the remap?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2758003

won't start. Worth a stab in the dark for 300

Does a little wastegate adjustment do any good on these LPT Saabs without a remap? Might give a smidge extra for no cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

argosy2006 wrote: »

Slight engine fault?:D the timing belt could be gone, or anything.Worth a look I suppose.

Didn't I read somewhere that in the case of the Saab 9-5 the car's ECU is programmed to accept the keys? So how can a swap of ECU still let the old keys work? Car has to be programmed to the keys, not the other way around

Anyway, why swap the ECU when a quick hook up can deliver the remap?

I sent over all the details off the ECU and he coded it before he sent it over.

jimmyw wrote: »
    Slight engine fault?:D the timing belt could be gone, or anything.Worth a look I suppose.

Or just a knackered battery? :D

If it's turning over generally timing belt and battery would be hunky dorey, ignition or fuel, easy to see if it's fuel issue within a few secs. Ignition problems are generally not too hard to sort either. Well worth a look as mentioned for the asking really if anyone's close to KK.

RoverJames wrote: »
    If it's turning over generally timing belt and battery would be hunky dorey, ignition or fuel, easy to see if it's fuel issue within a few secs. Ignition problems are generally not too hard to sort either. Well worth a look as mentioned for the asking really if anyone's close to KK.

Car will still turn like normal with the belt snapped.

'twould be turning over fierce enthusiastically though, wouldn't sound normal :)
    Not on an interference engine anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

thats what I thought too.If the engine is turning, but the valves are not, then......belt gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭dmcar02

argosy2006 wrote: »

Could also be the fuel pump, engine would turn but not a hope of starting, be a nice runaround for the money

• Advertisement

'twould be turning over fierce enthusiastically though, wouldn't sound normal :)
    Not on an interference engine anyway

I've personally heard an Audi A2, my own Golf, and two Clios turn with the belt snapped and neither of them sounded any different to be honest.

I've personally heard an Audi A2, my own Golf, and two Clios turn with the belt snapped

Shivers :eek:

I would have no interest whatsoever to buy a cheap car that has a tendency to snap the belt. Why the hell would you buy a car like that? Just buy another car that is unlikely to snap the belt (my last daily driver was 6 or 7 years overdue a belt change)

Really, all of us (and especially the good folks that do not read this thread and who buy brand new cars) should just vote with our feet and not buy cars that still use nasty cheap timing belts

Buy a BMW or a Merc or even a tidy €1k Saab. They all have cam chains so nothing to worry about there :)

That's weird :)

I put in the bit about the interference engine for entertainment (potential) :pac:

............ (my last daily driver was 6 or 7 years overdue a belt change).............

the 1.8k?
    I reckon your little bit of coolant loss was from the water pump if so :)

I've had my fill of Saabs :P

What actually happened my Golf was a bit of the belt peeled, and it kept whipping one of the tensioners. And eventually broke it. I knew I could hear an abnormal ticking noise and my father dismissed me as hearing things.

DSC03297.jpg

DSC03310.jpg

I was so embarrassed but I still wanted to show it off, so I even took pics with the engine not in the car :P The wheels I'd ordered arrived as it snapped.

DSC01921.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'm really starting to like those Saab 9-5's. You know we got the Micra this year and I hope we'll upgrade next year, so a 9-5 could be one to look at. I'll have to start working on her now that it wouldn't be too big!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Here's another 9-5 estate - wonder what they're like with the 3.0 engine...

View2-7783273.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2492288

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Just to veer away from the saab how about a 99 mazda 323 but....
    No tax, no nct, but its got alloy wheels and a sunroof...
    Could be worth a punt......@450

http://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=719845&r=s.php%3Fd%3D1%26e%3D500%26g%3D1

the 1.8k?
    I reckon your little bit of coolant loss was from the water pump if so :)

You could very well be right there! Twas more than a little bit of coolant loss though. I needed to stop twice on a 20 mile journey, each time losing about a litre in water boiling out and then adding about 3 litres (out of a total capacity of 6l) :)
    Eoin wrote: »
    Here's another 9-5 estate - wonder what they're like with the 3.0 engine...

Don't know but I'd expect the V6 won't give a huge benefit over the small 4 pot turbo. That said, the asking price does seem a very attractive starting point to owning a big comfy estate for very little money!!!

• Advertisement

You could very well be right there! Twas more than a little bit of coolant loss though. I needed to stop twice on a 20 mile journey, each time losing about a litre in water boiling out and then adding about 3 litres (out of a total capacity of 6l) :)..............

I'm wrong so if it was that much :pac:

The water pumps on the later Ks had a little set up where leaked water wouldn't drop from them, 'twas channeled to be evaporated by engine heat, they reckoned little weaps would only upset the owner with drops of coolant on the drive, unreal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement