Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

unkel wrote: »
    I had no idea the Smart would be joining us already in the bangernomics thread :)

Some mileage for a tiny city car though :eek:

Probably came in from Germany, imagine being on the Autobahn in it :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

Probably came in from Germany, imagine being on the Autobahn in it :eek:

Oh?

Here's my favourite lil' car doing its top speed on the autobahn. :)

Very solid at that speed too, not that I've done that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

God you've got such a polo horn

colm_mcm wrote: »
    God you've got such a polo horn
    Yeap!

I want to drive mine to the Nurburgring. :D

There is other cars out there, and I do recommend them, but for small cars I don't think they can be beat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Rolli

• Advertisement

Seeing as I'm a polo guy, here's one for 350 with NCT til next March.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2772682

View2-8941242.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Esel wrote: »
    Same result with FF in safe mode... Thanks for the suggestion though. :)

With all due respect Esel you seem to be the only one here who has an issue with hyperlinked images. I know you've tried numerous search engines but at this stage you have to accept the problem is your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

barura wrote: »
    Seeing as I'm a polo guy, here's one for 350 with NCT til next March.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2772682

View2-8941242.jpeg

I sold a 99 one with 200k on the clock for nearly a grand a few weeks ago...

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Brilliant! Anything special about it? The 99's generally get that price anyways...

-Corkie- wrote: »

Jaysus! You did well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Not the usual...

Tested too, auto box would be a turn off, but these old yokes are bulletproof

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2713299

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Brilliant! Anything special about it? The 99's generally get that price anyways...

No not a thing just a plain polo that I valeted myself. It dont always be that good though making a killing..

Actually I sold it through this thread by discretley posting a link to the dd ad. No one copped only mickdw recognised my house...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Polo time! :D

Love these cars...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2773630

View2-8945536.jpeg

595 bills, get it for 500. Just argue full tank of petrol and taxing it. Should be grand :D

Sold.
    When deciding some time ago between a Polo and a Starlet my research threw up too my instances of ECU problems with these.

The ECU handles the rad fan turning on, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

00' 2.0T V70 7 seater Estate, full Volvo Service History, leather, NCT 05/12 €995.

viewFullPhoto.jsp?cid=8944240&ad=2773325

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2773325

Its the brain in the car. Don't know a lot about it but I think it constantly takes signals from all the systems in the car and makes decisions about fuelling and loads of other parameters. Don't think the earlier ones do that much but it won't run without it.

E39MSport wrote: »
    Its the brain in the car. Don't know a lot about it but I think it constantly takes signals from all the systems in the car and makes decisions about fuelling and loads of other parameters. Don't think the earlier ones do that much but it won't run without it.
    I know what an ECU is. :P

I've just noticed that the ones I've owned take a while to switch on the fan on the rad at all, figured it would be connected to that problem a bit. Haven't heard of it til now, so I'll watch out for that.

Bawnmore wrote: »
    00' 2.0T V70 7 seater Estate, full Volvo Service History, leather, NCT 05/12 €995.

viewFullPhoto.jsp?cid=8944240&ad=2773325

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2773325

Thats a lot of car for the spons.

The ECU handles the rad fan turning on, right?

If the fan is slow coming on it wouldn't be down to the ECU, the fan comes on when the coolant exiting the rad is a certain temp, coolant exiting the rad won't be that temp until the full coolant system has been cooling the engine without the assistance of air cooling (stuck in traffic etc) generally.

If the fan isn't coming on when it you reckon it should it might be a CTS or perhaps however the fan is switched has a bad connection or something.

It's not the ECU anyway me thinks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

the ones I've owned take a while to switch on the fan on the rad at all

In a lot of cars the fan rarely or never comes on in normal driving circumstances

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

RoverJames wrote: »
    If the fan is slow coming on it wouldn't be down to the ECU, the fan comes on when the coolant exiting the rad is a certain temp, coolant exiting the rad won't be that temp until the full coolant system has been cooling the engine without the assistance of air cooling (stuck in traffic etc) generally.

If the fan isn't coming on when it you reckon it should it might be a CTS

Maybe I'm getting this wrong but aren't you contradicting yourself here? The CTS reports the temp to the ECU and when the reported temp gets too high, the ECU decides to switch the fan on, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Maybe I'm getting this wrong but aren't you contradicting yourself here? The CTS reports the temp to the ECU and when the reported temp gets too high, the ECU decides to switch the fan on, no?

It depends on the car, On most modern cars the fan control runs through the ecu but on older cars(I think we're talking about the old model polo here) the CTS is connected to the ecu for purposes of cold start control etc and there is a seperate temperature switch on the rad connected straight to the fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

If what the ad says is true this would be smashing value, granted id much prefer the zetec but still

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2773531

does it look like a motor with 50k on it though?

I see your point :)

If it wasn't coming on at all it might be the ECU (incredibly unlikely as other stuff would have gone too I'd say if the ECU is involved at all), but as he seems to reckon the problem is that it comes on a tad late than it's seem a mechanical or sensor issue rather than an electronic one.

On most older stuff as ND as said there us an actual switch :)

I reckon all is probably well anyway :)

JustLen wrote: »
    If what the ad says is true this would be smashing value, granted id much prefer the zetec but still

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2773531

does it look like a motor with 50k on it though?

Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, bang.

Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, ...................... .

They do sound desperate even when the tappets are perfect, the sister drops her dog in to our house in the morning on her way to work, I know I'm after snoozing for too long when I hear the

Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, .......................

Rattle, Rattle, Rattle, .......................

Tell me about it we had a dog rough one before.Still I reckon if you brought them bumpers back to life it wouldn't look the worst,
    surely you could drive it for a year or two and sell it on for the same money

JustLen wrote: »
    Tell me about it we had a dog rough one before.Still I reckon if you brought them bumpers back to life it wouldn't look the worst,
    surely you could drive it for a year or two and sell it on for the same money

You'd get a 1.25 faelift for not much more, whichwould be a much nicer buy IMO.

would you tho? even so I still think you could potentially get a years free (as close as possible to) motoring out of it. especially if you knocked a hundred quid off the asking

Years test, taxed, serviced and 4 new tyres not to mention the tiny mileage

like i said it isn't a zetec, get where your coming from about the 1.3. wouldn't be something id get excited about but still

• Advertisement

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2762162

High miles but they can be got.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement