Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Bigus wrote: »
    maybe here's another up one day asking 1650 http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2805905

View2-9082564.jpeg

I can't understand why i like them so much! I suppose they're just a bit odd. And i like 'm:D

Are they turbo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Bigus

I can't understand why i like them so much! I suppose they're just a bit odd. And i like 'm:D

Are they turbo?

Well they are a four seater convertible with leather for buttons 2.0 turbo ...so lots to like for the money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Are they turbo?
    Black '94 is turbo - black '99 isn't.

I'm in the same boat as yourself - like them, but can't explain why :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Are they turbo?

They are nice especaially when they are so rare. I would love to drive something that nobody else drives. A local dealer has a 01 for 4.5k. Still though I would prefer the Subaru that top dog posted.

Bigus wrote: »
    maybe here's another up one day asking 1650 http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2805905

View2-9082564.jpeg

Same seller that was trying to get rid of an LS400 a few weeks back me thinks.

• Advertisement

-Corkie- wrote: »
    .............. I would love to drive something that nobody else drives. ..............

There's a red ZT after appearing in my locality :mad: :pac:

RoverJames wrote: »
    Same seller that was trying to get rid of an LS400 a few weeks back me thinks.

The list goes on James. Google his number...;)

Is it a TS reg. I met one regular and the dude always salutes me..

The list goes on James. Google his number...;)

'twas the garden I recognised :pac:

Bernard Daly has a decent ole name in fairness, I'd buy off him no bother, traditionally though his prices were a tad high but some not bad yokes he has at times, prices ok now too.

'twas the garden I recognised :pac:

Bernard Daly has a decent ole name in fairness, I'd buy off him no bother, traditionally though his prices were a tad high but some not bad yokes he has at times, prices ok now too.

Oh is it him. I often call to him for a wander around on a saturday. Very nice fella actually.

• Advertisement

Is it a TS reg. I met one regular and the dude always salutes me..

Not sure, TS rings a bell alright...... but that's because mine is a TS reg :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

The interior if that maxima looks nice, potential donor car for me ;-)
    Fwiw the fuel consumption is not a lot higher in the 3.0s than it is on the 2.0s.
    Bastard road tax.
    Time to get the cat back into mine and get it thru the nct, if it passes it gets leather as a reward ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    You're fierce stubborn on this aren't ya?

E39's are the same, i.e. the 520 is underpowered, 523 is adequate and the 528 just about right. Same with 728; 735; 740.

Take a drive in them all before you do anything.

I'm not stubborn, but I had a 01 320ci with the 2.2 in it, and I recently drove a 520i for a day or two and there was absolutely nothing wrong with the "power"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'm not stubborn, but I had a 01 320ci with the 2.2 in it, and I recently drove a 520i for a day or two and there was absolutely nothing wrong with the "power"?

You are stubborn :p

But I agree with you about a 520i E39. Even the earlier 2.0l model does 0-100km/h in less than 10s. That's not underpowered for the kinda car it is. You gotta work it hard though to get the performance, and as others said, it won't save you anything significant in fuel compared even with the 3.0l straight 6

But if you are forking out big tax money (2.8l) on an E38, you might as well spend a few hundred more for the V8. Really, all you save is maybe 3-5MPG and only if you do a lot of city driving. On the open road you save nothing. And to put things into perspective, at 10k miles per year, 4MPG will save you €1.50 a day :)

And if that is a deal breaker and all you care about is driving an E38 as cheaply as possible, you really should get an 725tds :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,567 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

.............. I would love to drive something that nobody else drives. ..............

I've seen that around. Think it belongs to someone round Pearse Road.

I've seen that around. Think it belongs to someone round Pearse Road.

May well be, I've seen it parked by the Rock Bar quite a few times and also up by the Lough Community Centre :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Iirc about 5 years ago the minimum was less :)

When I paid the VRT for my Caravelle about 2-3 years ago, the minimum OMSP was already set at 2k minimum. I reckon they might have introduced that with the CO2 changes in 2008.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    When I paid the VRT for my Caravelle about 2-3 years ago, the minimum OMSP was already set at 2k minimum. I reckon they might have introduced that with the CO2 changes in 2008.

Yep it changed with the new CO2 based VRT / motor tax regime in '08

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭✭heate

unkel wrote: »

But I agree with you about a 520i E39. Even the earlier 2.0l model does 0-100km/h in less than 10s. That's not underpowered for the kinda car it is. You gotta work it hard though to get the performance, and as others said, it won't save you anything significant in fuel compared even with the 3.0l straight 6

But if you are forking out big tax money (2.8l) on an E38, you might as well spend a few hundred more for the V8. Really, all you save is maybe 3-5MPG and only if you do a lot of city driving. On the open road you save nothing. And to put things into perspective, at 10k miles per year, 4MPG will save you €1.50 a day :)

And if that is a deal breaker and all you care about is driving an E38 as cheaply as possible, you really should get an 725tds :D

The 28i is a dismal 7 what's the point they were a lot cheaper new but as a result were generally lesser species an the power deficit are not a luxury car make!
    A 740i costs less to buy and not much more to run and has a huge power differential and generally came ordered with comfort seats and other bits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

unkel wrote: »

The difference between a 2.2 e39 520 and a 540V8 is about €3,000 a year over 12k miles*, not to mention that the 540 is a barge in handling terms vs its more nimble rack & pinoin stablemate...

*4mpg real world difference is bloody optimistic in my experience. 525i manual, 26-27 average, 540i auto 18-19. Same routine.

*nearly 1K extra tax

*insurance?

*depreciation (540? in the current climate you buy it you're married to it)... in fairness you could probably say the same re the 520/525.

I enjoyed the experience, was glad to get it out of my system, but... with current economic priorities, it won't happen again in the foreseeable future.

Diesel all the way for now.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'm not sure that Unkel made that comparison between those two cars though.

Indeed :)

There's only one small difference between E38 and E39 for the not so careful reader :p

And for any of ya who aren't aware of the history:

Limerick man has been considering buying a 728 for a long time and we've all been trying to persuade him that it's a bad choice and that he should get a V8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

kazul wrote: »
    The interior if that maxima looks nice, potential donor car for me ;-)
    Fwiw the fuel consumption is not a lot higher in the 3.0s than it is on the 2.0s.
    Bastard road tax.
    Time to get the cat back into mine and get it thru the nct, if it passes it gets leather as a reward ;-)

It's found its buyer so :) with an asking price of 450 yoyo's you couldn't go wrong with stripping it..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Nissan Cefiro (Maxima) 400 quid

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2798826

Full?id=9051480

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

166man wrote: »
    On paper yes there probably is a difference between the two, but in real world driving I doubt the difference would be that great really.

I've driven a 735 and I own a 740, and the 3.5 is a pussycat in comparison to the 4.4; which means the 2.8 is a just a pussy. The Nissan'll have a bit more power to weight than the bimmer, but it's still no comparison.

(No offense intended to the 728 drivers, I had that engine in 2.5 format and it's fab. It's just not a 4.4l V8. :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭patrickc

no mention of NCT but looks clean enough.. cheap though so probably needs a few bits doing to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2774250

Fiat Scudo, good way to shepard people around. I bet the engine would be good for another 50k at least.

View2-8947948.jpeg

Ex taxi so it probably has that 3 seats facing the other 3 seats. Would be handy for going to EP or something, if you're thinking that far ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭pcardin

what's so special about "SOUTH COUNTY DUBLIN CAR SINCE NEW" ? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

pcardin wrote: »
    what's so special about "SOUTH COUNTY DUBLIN CAR SINCE NEW" ? :confused:

I was thinking the very same myself, maybe a snobbery thing, coming from a richer neighbourhood.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement