Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Drove a Polo without powersteering the other day! Dear god :eek:
    The other half used to have a micra with no power steering....mother of god it was a chore. Was suprised by how heavy it was despite the reasonably light frame and small rims

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

I drove a Clio "surprise!" model as linked to by colm, can't say the lack of power steering bothered me that much. The shocking brakes (compared to modern cars, don't think they were vacuum assisted) and panel gaps perfectly formed to resonate air (really sounded like it was wailing) at over 50mph were certainly a surprise tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Are people getting weaker or something these days, or do the Polo and Micra have exceptionally heavy steering?

My old 205 GTI didn't have power steering (1.9 lump and 195 tyres) and I never found it a chore even when parking. Was brilliant for feedback when outside of towns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

My other half had a micra without pas and it was a baxterd to park.

• Advertisement

Years ago a lady I worked with who drove a 92 ish Micra without power steering took my 1990 rover 414 for a spin, she thought the steering was lovely and light, the 414 had no p/s either.

When I parked cars for a job the likes of Subaru Justys, Micras and that were bastads in comparison to bigger non p/s equipped cars.

Link removed

Nice v6, bit of test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Thats a 728 again

Second time lucky

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2815432

V6 Leather, test, cheap
    Not a 728

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Top Dog wrote: »
    Are people getting weaker or something these days, or do the Polo and Micra have exceptionally heavy steering?

My old 205 GTI didn't have power steering (1.9 lump and 195 tyres) and I never found it a chore even when parking. Was brilliant for feedback when outside of towns.

Everyone is just used to power steering now.

I had a micra with no power steering for almost a year and once moving, you wouldn't feel any difference in the steering and parking wasn't heavy at all. Obviously you couldn't do it with one hand but it certainly wasn't a chore.

2002 S60 with leather

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2794341

€1999

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

This :P

My then g/f had 205/40/17's on a 6n Polo for a time...no drama...and she was a 7 stone weakling!:D Trick is not to turn the steering while stationary..only while the car is moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Are people getting weaker or something these days

LOL, was thinking that too. Grown men crying about lack of power steering in a tiny car :rolleyes: :p

When I learned to drive only high end BMWs and Mercs and the like had power steering, so yes back then even frail little grannies had to drive Polos and Starlets without PS...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Its no bother, Im driving now in a Fiat with no PS and its easy. Even easier when I put more air in the tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭mondeo

I drove my sisters fiesta years ago with no power steering, I remember wining about it like a sissy girl.:D

Ye when your use to power steering it's seems as essential as air in your lungs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

unkel wrote: »
    LOL, was thinking that too. Grown men crying about lack of power steering in a tiny car :rolleyes: :p

When I learned to drive only high end BMWs and Mercs and the like had power steering, so yes back then even frail little grannies had to drive Polos and Starlets without PS...

I'm not crying about it, I was just saying it actually felt dangerous to drive. You don't have that same "contact" with the road, power steering is much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭Forest Fire

I'm not crying about it, I was just saying it actually felt dangerous to drive. You don't have that same "contact" with the road, power steering is much better.

More likely to have 'contact' with something else...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Nforce wrote: »
    Trick is not to turn the steering while stationary..only while the car is moving.
    Simple as that really. That's why learning to drive without power steering is the best way to do it as it forces you to drive 'properly'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

I find cars with over assisted steering to give less "feel" of the road.

I'd be inclined to revert to the "only turn when moving" practice for the new electric or electro-hydraulic powersteering systems, I just feel that the hydraulic systems were more durable...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

If "properly" means fighting the torque steer and the wheel being snatch from your hands in puddles or when the ESP activates - then yes no power steering is a step forward...

God bless City Steer.

What cars have ESP and no power steering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/2815467

73k wow!.Could be 173 though also:p

Tis hardly bangeromics though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Insert appropriate debating for masters joke :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Yes please :D

€300 E39

Full?id=9132477

Taxi drivers favourite of the early 90s

2 Litre D

View2-9128735.jpeg

Taxi drivers favourite of the mid 90s

2 Litre DLX

Full?id=9113878