Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Eoin wrote: »
    High motor tax can equal bargains for those who can see beyond the headline figures.

I can't speak for them, but I bet that most the people on boards who drive big engine cars don't consider themselves the elite. They've just worked out the maths.

Of course they've worked out the maths, but it's not to say they are also not being ripped off ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Rolli wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2816402

Short NCT, but with that mileage & price it seems alright

"Some sort of back box" :D

Exhaust or mahoosive boy racery exhaust. :confused: or maybe just a hole in the exhaust. :D

166man wrote: »
    View2?id=9198551

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2833680

Perfect bangernomics car, long NCT, some tax and should be extremely reliable. Only €600 quid too..

Grand yokes but they suffer from chocolate gearbox syndrome, if all was quite at testdrive well worth a punt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Bigus

shawnee wrote: »
    Here's you're chance to reverse that decision.... call "her" bluff this time and see what happens :D You'll have both for Christmas at least.:D

Mammy's don't do Bluffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Bigus wrote: »
    Mammy's don't do Bluffs

Haha, was just about to say it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

RoverJames wrote: »
    Grand yokes but they suffer from chocolate gearbox syndrome, if all was quite at testdrive well worth a punt.

Ah right ok, the extremely reliable part was mainly about the engine. Didn't know about the gearboxes cheers.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Of course they've worked out the maths, but it's not to say they are also not being ripped off ..

It's definitely too expensive, I'm just saying that it means some bargains can be snapped up.

For instance, a BMW e39 520 2.2 will probably sell quicker and possibly for more than a 530 because people will think about that extra engine size.

But the difference in running costs will probably be pretty negligible, and the difference in tax will be 470. Not a small amount, but for a lot of people, it's worth the extra pleasure you get from the car.

So rather than complaining the cost of taxing some of the bargains to be had, maybe it's worth just thinking that the reason they're bargains is because of the tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

I thought you were talking properly 'big engine cars' ;)

Eoin wrote: »

But the difference in running costs will probably be pretty negligible, and the difference in tax will be 470. Not a small amount, but for a lot of people, it's worth the extra pleasure you get from the car.

I don't get the "extra 470" argument, for most people it would be stuggle enough to pay the intial 900 euro, not to mind the "extra 470" on top of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

I don't get the "extra 470" argument, for most people it would be stuggle enough to pay the intial 900 euro, not to mind the "extra 470" on top of that.

Plus the shyte(r) mileage

• Advertisement

In fairness though most people who'd struggle to pay the €900 wouldn't be buying a car that costs that much to tax, for those who don't mind/can afford the €900 another tenner a week won't be a huge issue.

Also as Eoin was pointing out the 530 might well be cheaper to buy than the 520 negating the extra tax per annum :)

I do agree that most folk wouldn't and don't relish €900/annum motor tax :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

In fairness though most people who'd struggle to pay the €900 wouldn't be buying a car that costs that much to tax, for those who don't mind/can afford the €900 another tenner a week won't be a huge issue.

Also as Eoin was pointing out the 530 might well be cheaper to buy than the 520 negating the extra tax per annum :)

I do agree that most folk wouldn't and don't relish €900/annum motor tax :)

Dropping a grand a year on tax is serious spandau ballet...sure I'm paying 660 pa now for a 2L and i've only driven less than 5k miles since May..:( ..

having said that would pay it for the comfort the way I see it if you've no /or little depreciation..you should be able to afford a to run a luxobarge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

RoverJames put it as well as I could. If the 900 is an issue, then it's simply the wrong car for them.

I just don't think it makes sense to complain about the cost of taxing these cheap cars, when most of the reason they're cheap is because of the tax.
    E39MSport wrote:
    Plus the shyte(r) mileage

There might actually be very little difference in the mileage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Quite like the look of this. Very high mileage and I understand that the supercharged engines in these are rough enough yokes but apparently very tough at the same time. Only thing putting me off would be the manual gearbox:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2834405

At the price with the 10 months NCT the manual wouldn't put me off tbh :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I've no doubt it's in good condition, but you can buy a much nicer car than a poverty spec manual 14 year old c-class for your hard earned €950!

... there's nearly €100 tax with it too though and it might well be bought for a couple of hundred less than the asking. It's not a 1.8 basic model either :)

unkel wrote: »
    I've no doubt it's in good condition, but you can buy a much nicer car than a poverty spec manual 14 year old c-class for your hard earned €950!

I don't think the interior is too bad TBH. Although I did a mywheels check on it and as I suspected it's an import. Wouldn't bother me except it means the seller's a bit economical with the truth saying only one owner (although it has had just one owner in Ireland). Trying to decide whether it's worth spending £15 on a HPI report to see how many UK owners / whether it's crashed. Probably makes more sense to actually go and see the thing first I suppose!

... there's nearly €100 tax with it too though and it might well be bought for a couple of hundred less than the asking. It's not a 1.8 basic model either :)

Where's the €100 figure coming from?There's tax until January implying that the tax will need to be renewed in January so it's like getting a week or two of tax. Not sure how that's €100 anyway. It doesn't say anywhere in the ad that it's taxed until the end of January....

Where's the €100 figure coming from?There's tax until January implying that the tax will need to be renewed in January so it's like getting a week or two of tax. Not sure how that's €100 anyway. It doesn't say anywhere in the ad that it's taxed until the end of January....

You were so abrupt with your reply I was thinking perhaps I had imagined the tax disc.... Full?id=9201543

• Advertisement

You were so abrupt with your reply I was thinking perhaps I had imagined the tax disc.... Full?id=9201543

Apologies, I only looked at the first photo, does that equate to nearly €100 in tax? If it does, then that C-Class is a nice bargain, I like it!:)

Apologies, I only looked at the first photo, does that equate to nearly €100 in tax? If it does, then that C-Class is a nice bargain, I like it!:)

'twill be €261/quarter to tax so a third of that is €87, a week left in December too so the guts of €100 tax in my book :)

First Merc I've seen with a steering wheel/airbag combo like that?

They were standard enough, the older SLKs had a similar one IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

It is a genuine Sport model with white dials, black cloth seats, lowered suspension, 16" alloys, steering wheel as you mentioned and few other bits apd pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Trying to decide whether it's worth spending £15 on a HPI report to see how many UK owners / whether it's crashed.

Would you be bothered about it in a sub 1k car if there was 1 UK owner or 8? I wouldn't :)

unkel wrote: »
    Would you be bothered about it in a sub 1k car if there was 1 UK owner or 8? I wouldn't :)

Fair point. I would care if it was crashed though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

What qualifies for a post in this "Bangernomics thread"?
    Had a read of last 9 or 10 pages and looked at first page, but I don't see the "qualifying attributes" anywhere??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

MidlandsM wrote: »
    The seller insists its a bargain, lots of tax, nct there too, daycent rims too...., milage might be crazy and the engine in these is soft enough.......but hey ho, for 2k...
    "very pawerfull etc" Even if he tried he couldn't spell it worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    What qualifies for a post in this "Bangernomics thread"?
    Had a read of last 9 or 10 pages and looked at first page, but I don't see the "qualifying attributes" anywhere??

The general consensus is that it should be under 2 grand, you'd actually buy it yourself, test is essential, tax is a bonus.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement