Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

sugarman wrote: »

"Mileage: 61,000 (genuine- bought from garage 2 years ago)

Any Other Relevant Info: We got it off a close friend who barely drove it."

hmmm :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

VolvoMan wrote: »
    It's a 440, not a 460. You're hardly in a position to argue when you don't know what model the car even is.

As I said, it's by no means glamorous, but it would suit someone who isn't into them. It's a safe car for its age and most of them have unique features for their time such as heated seats. I'm not defending it because it's a desirable car, just that it's an effective one.

I know you obviously know your stuff about volvos & all but in all fairness its a 1994 pig ugly car & over-priced.

Even if i could get past the looks i wouldn't give him more than 400 for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I know you obviously know your stuff about volvos & all but in all fairness its a 1994 pig ugly car & over-priced.

Even if i could get past the looks i wouldn't give him more than 400 for it.

Yep, fair enough. As I said, I'm not a fan of them, but they shouldn't exactly be looked down upon either.

I just get a bit paranoid about people's perception of Volvo, I suppose. I hate to think that over 80 years of producing cars that weren't just boxes is wasted upon people.

It's a 440, not a 460. You're hardly in a position to argue when you don't know what model the car even is.

What's the difference between a 440 and a 460 ? Saloon, hatch ??

17821b2b42b2356ef1e409735420ce2a_003082207073408.gif

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

Here's my pick for today, i have one of these myself for jsut tippin arpund every day and it doesn good mpgs for me, and is utterly reliable. Has 196,000 miles too, so if this one has been looked after it's 185,000 is nothin to worry about either. No test on it but looks a straight car, and i'd know in a few minutes of lookin at it whether it'd go through again easy. they're 1665cc so fairly cheap tax for a nice solid car. They're not fast as only 1.7 90bhp, but a chip will see them at 115, and even without that they'll match a 316i when up to speed and they'll do 120km/h at a nice relaxed cruising-rpm still doing good mpg so that's all you need. fastest mine's gone was 110 on the clock but i would not reccomend that. and after all it's supposed to be an economical choice, so for general tippin around duties it takes care of business.
    Cheap insurance too in bmw terms anyway. I've found two others for friends of mine after mine having demonstrated it's ability as an economical and solid A to B car.
    Before anyone says "a 325tds is better" yes they are way more powerful, faster and still have good economy, but if i wanted anotehr one i'd have got it, and the advantage to these is the cheap tax and insurance combined with the good economy

Link for the one for sale
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1489940

• Advertisement

Yep, fair enough. As I said, I'm not a fan of them, but they shouldn't exactly be looked down upon either.

I just get a bit paranoid about people's perception of Volvo, I suppose. I hate to think that over 80 years of producing cars that weren't just boxes is wasted upon people.

some people's perceptions you will never change volvo man, there is a sort of inverted snobbery around. And after all, no car is allowed to be a good car is it? someone always has to have a go at trashing it's reputation, specially the lieks of volvos, volvo have built GOOD, proper, safe and useable cars since day one but because of that some people hate them, and because they're nto flashy they're not good enough for some people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Full?id=3736257

" ready for NCT "

....here's an idea then , why dont you test it and get more money ;)

Saab Ed wrote: »
    " ready for NCT "

....here's an idea then , why dont you test it and get more money ;)

perhaps the seller is in a less financially postive situation than you? Or has bought something else and is no longer insured on that car for example.

I know that in my own case (was out of work for a year and a half, then got another job for a few months, only for that to go in ealry january), i have a nice old ford sierra sitting at home which would go through the test and be worth a good bit more with maybe €150 max plus the cost of the test, and have a 98 scorpio which is real nice but needs front shocks, a headlight and two bushings for the test, but i simply don't have ANY spare money at all with bills to pay and food to buy, couldnt even justify paying for 1 nct test right now. Times can be tought for people and restrict them from doing things.

_Conrad_ wrote: »
    perhaps the seller is in a less financially postive situation than you?

He sells a few Clios and think's he's Alan Sugar :p

RoverJames wrote: »
    What's the difference between a 440 and a 460 ? Saloon, hatch ??

440 - Hatchback
    460 - Saloon
    480 - Sports Coupe

I'd appreciate less of the arrogant attitude as well please, RoverJames.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Anyone want to help me find a 520 within this territory? Petrol, obviously, nice test, black or silver... M tech kit if possibly... I'll throw a few cookies to the fella that can find one :P

Edit:

Cool ad.:cool:

I'd appreciate less of the arrogant attitude as well please, RoverJames.

Apologies :) I was only slagging, I did use a :P smiley, sorry if I offended though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Come on VM, they're Volvos, not Bentleys. They deserve a slagging as much as, if not more than other cars. The stodgy looks, the pipe smoking/slipper wearing image, the endless trips to the garage... let's face it, Volvos are funny. I know four Volvo owners and each one of them is in the garage with their Renault/Mitsi/Ford/DAF 'Volvo' every few months, without fail.

Confab wrote: »
    Come on VM, they're Volvos, not Bentleys. They deserve a slagging as much as, if not more than other cars. The stodgy looks, the pipe smoking/slipper wearing image, the endless trips to the garage... let's face it, Volvos are funny. I know four Volvo owners and each one of them is in the garage with their Renault/Mitsi/Ford/DAF 'Volvo' every few months, without fail.

It's hard to take though when nobody know's that they've produced cars like this:

motor-trend-clasic-saint-volvo-1800-732643.jpg

VOLVO%20C70.JPG

masterludo_1802200330_quizz_029_volvo_850_t5r.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Love that p1800.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

C70 was attractive and had a nice engine, but isn't great to drive.

I love 850R's, s60 t5's and V70R's - doesn't stop the volvo on adverts being overpriced considering the year, model and condition.

Not a bad bangernomics car, sold her a couple of hours ago, pity I put €90 petrol into her this morning :rolleyes: Ah well.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1413859

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Not a bad bangernomics car, sold her a couple of hours ago, pity I put €90 petrol into her this morning :rolleyes: Ah well.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1413859

Back on topic ---> Phew !!

Well done man !! So what next ?

homer90 wrote: »
    Back on topic ---> Phew !!

Well done man !! So what next ?

Back to my old banger
    2008_1023Prelude_clean0001.jpg

RJ is back in his Rover :D Fingers crossed the weather will oblige for some wind in the hair motoring :) Although I shave my head :cool:
    Dunno what I'll get next, no doubt I will get something though, toying with the idea of trying to get a mirrored NCB and get an old Disco commercial or similar and go out on a few days with Munster or Leinster 4x4 for the winter months.

I must say the e34 is a fine yoke though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,381 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I knew there was something missing from that pic - a 'For Sale' sign! :D

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    I knew there was something missing from that pic - a 'For Sale' sign! :D

Once I have a fresh NCT on her she may well have a For Sale sign too :)

eoin wrote: »
    Love that p1800.

+1, Such a gorgeous car. One for sale there recently on carzone in red! So pretty

I like this, and I'd probably buy it, but there's one or two thing turning me off!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1475432

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,381 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I like this, and I'd probably buy it, but there's one or two thing turning me off!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1475432
    What's turning you off, out of interest?

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    What's turning you off, out of interest?

I'd rather not say! It's only from personal experience and experience of others that it's turning me off! I'll say no more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Is it that it's missing a V8?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1485133

Full?id=3716848

Tested for a year and a half for only 500 quid less a bit of a haggle :)

Hellloooooo blondie! I wonder will he get as many heavy breathers as I did!

Nice car, I was in mine last night and it nearly brought a tear to my eye the fact I sold it! Live and learn

• Advertisement

Saab Ed wrote: »

518 touring must be slow as f**k, the one I just sold was bad enough. Doubt he'll get a grand for it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement