Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Now there must be a story with this car , would love to know what it is and what sort of condition its in. Real future classic in the making here...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1497021

View2-3763076.jpeg

Saab Ed wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1485133

Full?id=3716848

Tested for a year and a half for only 500 quid less a bit of a haggle :)

I used to drive past that car every morning on my way to work when I lived in Galway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

RoverJames wrote: »
    Back to my old banger

RJ is back in his Rover :D Fingers crossed the weather will oblige for some wind in the hair motoring :) Although I shave my head :cool:
    Dunno what I'll get next, no doubt I will get something though, toying with the idea of trying to get a mirrored NCB and get an old Disco commercial or similar and go out on a few days with Munster or Leinster 4x4 for the winter months.

Hey RJ been there done that.

Had a hilux Surf up until a few months ago & a pajero before that. Went off with Munster 4x4 a few times up the nagle mountains & it was great fun if a little expensive (70euro for a day!:rolleyes:). All i can say is if you know someone else whos into going offroad, head off with them instead of paying ridiculous fees for 'organised' events.

Most big 4x4's like discos, Lcruisers & surfs are obviously heavy on fuel but theres nothing better than seeing what your vehicle is capable of in the rough stuff. Its a great buzz.

Only reason i sold my surf was because i lost my job.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Ha RJ they will have to do a new article in the times when you purchase your next car :D

I'm shopping now too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Now there must be a story with this car , would love to know what it is and what sort of condition its in. Real future classic in the making here...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1497021

View2-3763076.jpeg

wrong engine though, it's one cylinder short for that real future classic appeal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Full?id=3659477

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1470371

It looks like a good deal, so I checked it out by phone for a friend who is looking for one.

Seller (Polish guy) came across badly, quite aggressive. I asked him if he was open to bringing it to a garage to get it up on a lift (at my cost) "You want bring garage, i make price 4,000" style answers from him.

Figured i'd give him a chance anyway. Asked him why he's selling. Says he's lost his job. His phone number into google reveals a few other cars for sale.

Lastly, a Motorcheck report revealed it's had no Tax at all since 2008, so that was the stage I felt it was a wrong 'un.

I could be be wrong, none of those things equal a bad car, but enough for me to walk away.

I've the Motorcheck report on it if anyone wants it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

^^ not to mention the name ----> 'Call TOM SELECK on ...."

:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

daRobot wrote: »
    Full?id=3659477

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1470371

It looks like a good deal, so I checked it out by phone for a friend who is looking for one.

Seller (Polish guy) came across badly, quite aggressive. I asked him if he was open to bringing it to a garage to get it up on a lift (at my cost) "You want bring garage, i make price 4,000" style answers from him.

A friend of mine was looking at that as well, I must ask him did he go any futher with it. An eastern European lad was selling the one I linked above as well. 60 or 70% of the big luxo barges seem to be sold by them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

daRobot wrote: »
    . His phone number into google reveals a few other cars for sale.

Yes, 01 Volvo S60, 99 MB S320, 99 523 just from page 1 of google. He must have a phobia of small cars:D

A call to the revenue should sort him out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

peasant wrote: »
    wrong engine though, it's one cylinder short for that real future classic appeal

Had a 94 one of these before but the real deal: 2.8 Quattro!

Sorry I ever got rid of it.:mad:

• Advertisement

A friend of mine was looking at that as well, I must ask him did he go any futher with it. An eastern European lad was selling the one I linked above as well. 60 or 70% of the big luxo barges seem to be sold by them!

But that was their style at the time , Big Mercs , Big Audis etc etc . Now that all th ebuilding site jobs are gone they cant afford the petrol nevermind anything else.

But that was their style at the time , Big Mercs , Big Audis etc etc . Now that all th ebuilding site jobs are gone they cant afford the petrol nevermind anything else.

Maybe that explains why the 735 hasn't been taxed since 08 :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

Not a bad bangernomics car, sold her a couple of hours ago, pity I put €90 petrol into her this morning :rolleyes: Ah well.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1413859

That was a nice old motor to have. The tourings are pretty handy

You're talking like a smallminded, xenophobic bigot who needs to wake up, without them we as a nation wouldn't have been able to do all the cushy jobs and avoid the hard ones that we felt were beneath us.

anyway for anyone else here, here's another "bangernomics" car, sub €1000, enough space for an average family, grand power from the crude but solid and dependable peugeot diesel

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1496526

_Conrad_ wrote: »
    You're talking like a smallminded, xenophobic bigot who needs to wake up, without them we as a nation wouldn't have been able to do all the cushy jobs and avoid the hard ones that we felt were beneath us.

Oh FFS sake not another one. No im not , its just that you never got out of your sisters underwear for long enough to live in the real world were people just make real world comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Oh FFS sake not another one. No im not , its just that you never got out of your sisters underwear for long enough to live in the real world were people just make real world comments.

Two of you chill out, and no more of that shìte please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭whippet

Maybe that explains why the 735 hasn't been taxed since 08 :P

my fear of these old barges is not the fact that the tax hasn't been paid, but what if any routine maintenance has been done on them since the downturn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭frank gooding

Big bus like that would have to be a diesel

I would imagine she would eat juice unless you were a saint on the go pedal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Turbo 940, Irish car, 700 euro with NCT: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1494842

• Advertisement

whippet wrote: »
    my fear of these old barges is not the fact that the tax hasn't been paid, but what if any routine maintenance has been done on them since the downturn.

That's my concern, namely the fact alot of Eatern european who buy and sell cars fix them themselves, and from personal experience I wouldn't trust some of the craftmanship.

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Turbo 940, Irish car, 700 euro with NCT: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1494842

worth a look that, in fact i might myself if i get this other damn thing sold like it's supposed to be

worth a look that, in fact i might myself if i get this other damn thing sold like it's supposed to be

What's that?

What's that?

what's what? the thing that's supposed to be sold? merc

That was a nice old motor to have. The tourings are pretty handy

Yep, she was very handy for bringing an old garden shed to the dump along with most of the contents :D Could have done with it for another weekend to be honest now that I think of it.

Yep, she was very handy for bringing an old garden shed to the dump along with most of the contents :D Could have done with it for another weekend to be honest now that I think of it.

It's always the way, i sold my pickup, then regretted it, got a van, sold that, now a good friend needed help moving some stuff to her new hosue and i had to disappoint her by telling her for once i don'thave some sort of commercial, plus there's that volvo engine in the classic section that i want but can't pick up now, the list gos on :( ha ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

anyway for anyone else here, here's another "bangernomics" car, sub €1000, enough space for an average family, grand power from the crude but solid and dependable peugeot diesel

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1496526

Christ if i see one more of these bloody diesel 406's (which i find strangely appealling?!) being sold for peanuts im going to sell my corolla next week & get one.:mad::pac:

Back to my old banger

RJ is back in his Rover :D

RJ filled his Rover with petrol Friday, taxed it for 3 months, transferred his insurance, booked an NCT (got one for the 24th August too which was nifty) polished and waxed it today.............. and then the gearbox went. Not completely surprised as the box was whining a bit when I took it off the road but most R65 boxes whine a bit. Was sounding like someone was sharpening knives in it today.
    Yep, she was very handy for bringing an old garden shed to the dump along with most of the contents :DCould have done with it for another weekend to be honest now that I think of it.

How right I was :D

Bangernomics :cool: (it's not always plain sailing)

Just to see how I've faired out in the 4 years I've been driving cheapish yokes I consulted my excel file. Seemed a good time as I don't intend rebuilding / replacing the box nor paying for it to be done so I've written off the Coupe essentially. Although some bits may used, dunno though, too early to say.

So 7 cars over the 4 years (almost, October 2006 to now), including depreciation / appreciation and all maintenance, tyres, servicing etc but not including tax, insurance or petrol / diesel

Spent €14783.61 (€10830 was the actual total purchase price of the 7 cars)

Got back €12090

drove 46,500 miles

Suppose it's ok ish.

Apologies for the off topic but it's not too bad a place for such info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

Considering spending <1500€ on a BMW E39 520i or E34 518i.

Worth a go? Anything to look out for.
    I'm open to alternatives too. The more boot space the better. Not sure if the rear seats fold on the 5 series but that'd be very handy.

• Advertisement

e34 1.8 will be awful slow, the little 4 cyl struggles in them. For similar money the e39 is a much better buy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement