Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

kazul wrote: »
    Personally, I'd rather have herpes than a Rover. That 45 is priced about right, I don't think it represents great value considering what it is. Don't forget, there's a reason why they don't exist any more.

Years ago the joke was "Why did the Brits never make computers?"

"They couldn't figure out how to make them leak oil"

Yawn :rolleyes:
    Do you know anything about the L series engine in that 45 ?
    I thought not :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,381 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Personally, I'd rather have herpes than a Rover.
    What disease would you prefer to an auto?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

Sorry for going OT, I love this thread and Saab Ed throws up a few gems.
    I just fail to see the attraction of Rovers and most Scandanavian cars.

@esel, with some diseases there's no going back, I'm still in love with my auto. I have overdrive (or not;)) at the touch of a button and a "Power" :D switch. I won't be going back to the stick anytime soon.

And she only cost me €900 2 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

RoverJames wrote: »
    Yawn :rolleyes:
    Do you know anything about the L series engine in that 45 ?
    I thought not :pac:
    Rowdy for a diesel but not too bad. Plenty of poke, reasonably economical, and tougher than a petrol K-series. Lucas pump and injectors if I'm right :)

That 45 is a good punt at that sort of money!

shamwari wrote: »
    Rowdy for a diesel but not too bad. Plenty of poke, reasonably economical, and tougher than a petrol K-series. Lucas pump and injectors if I'm right :)

That 45 is a good punt at that sort of money!

Rowdy, yes, no worse than a TDdi 90bhp 2005 Mondeo though :)
    Plenty of poke, it has serious potential :)
    Reasonable economy, should return 50+mpg for most folks :)
    Tougher than a K, yes the L is considered bullet proof :)
    Lucus pump, nope, Bosch VP30 me thinks :)

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Sorry for going OT, I love this thread and Saab Ed throws up a few gems.

@esel, with some diseases there's no going back, I'm still in love with my auto. I have overdrive (or not;)) at the touch of a button and a "Power" :D switch. I won't be going back to the stick anytime soon.

And she only cost me €900 2 years ago

+1. Auto is the best option you can have in a car :p

I like that VTS though, they just look so unassuming. Is that a turbo I can see on the left side of the bay towards the front? Apologies for my ignorance if not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭andr3w103

Ah they go on and on :D

Is it just me, or are these not the same car? The little badge on the boot is the big give away for me?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1472058

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1352670

Edit: The cheaper one was sold last month, most recent tax book issued on the 24th of last month. Must be
    jesus there ridiculus money...up north there waay cheaper

Edit: i suppose all cars are come to think of it..nevermind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭andr3w103

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Not for me but seems very good value, and would make a great track car project.

http://www.adverts.ie/268190/cars/bmw-325i-e36-cash-offers-today/
    i think its too good to be a track car...look at the interior

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭hoodrats

argosy2006 wrote: »

i know a guy who used to have one of the old vauxhall carltons which he brought over from the uk . it was a rust bucket with a heap of electrical problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

hoodrats wrote: »
    i know a guy who used to have one of the old vauxhall carltons which he brought over from the uk . it was a rust bucket with a heap of electrical problems.

How is that relevant?

RichyX wrote: »
    How is that relevant?

well mister picky post i was replying to the guys link to an opel omega and it brought back memories of my neighbours vauxhall carlton which if im correct was the predecessor to the (vauxhall) opel omega.
    the next time i will send you a preview of my reply so you can decide if its on topic or wheter to bin it .:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

argosy2006 wrote: »

That was put up here a few days ago - shame it's not an auto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,381 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Agreed. :D Apparently, however, its predecessor was a rust bucket with a heap of electrical problems......

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    ^ Agreed. :D Apparently, however, its predecessor was a rust bucket with a heap of electrical problems......

do i detect a hint of sarcasm :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Merc ... Auto ... NCT ... asking €1000

attachment.php?attachmentid=126500&d=1283563188

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1542592

And another auto with tax & test asking €1250

Full?id=3942061

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1542129

Or would the good people prefer something else German, again tax & test and all for €750 :D

Full?id=3867254

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1523263

Not German, Not Auto - still not bad value though at €900 with a decent length NCT on it

Full?id=3936097

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1540625

Confab wrote: »

I like that VTS though, they just look so unassuming. Is that a turbo I can see on the left side of the bay towards the front? Apologies for my ignorance if not.

Nope, not a turbo :)
    I would imagine it's an enclosure for a cone air filter or else the underside of a cone air filter. You can see in the engine bay shot to the immediate left of the yoke you are referring to is the throttle body (fairly difficult to see it admittedly). If that car had a turbo (which they didn't) it would be located up towards the bulkhead under the exhaust manifold, in the pic the exhaust manifold is covered by a heatshield, which is the ^ ish shaped yoke you can see between the shock mounts. If the thing you're wondering about was a turbo the rad hose above it would be all melted after about 15 secs of boost :) Actually is would probably melt without the turbo ever kicking in as it would be so close to the exhaust manifold (which isn't there anyway but you know what I mean).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

andr3w103 wrote: »
    i think its too good to be a track car...look at the interior

Agreed, its a stunner for the money, looks well minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bigbadbear

Top Dog wrote: »
    Merc ... Auto ... NCT ... asking €1000

attachment.php?attachmentid=126500&d=1283563188

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1542592

Seems almost too good to be true really. I wonder what the issues are or why the driver feels like only asking a grand.

I cant see myself not buying bangernomics for the next few cars i buy but I'm wondering what I'd have to do to have this car driving me to work every day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

bigbadbear wrote: »
    Seems almost too good to be true really. I wonder what the issues are or why the driver feels like only asking a grand.

I cant see myself not buying bangernomics for the next few cars i buy but I'm wondering what I'd have to do to have this car driving me to work every day

I can't see a 3.2V6 E class being bangernomics territory for me, if I was paying that tax I'd be looking at S-class and 7 series.

Unless that one is seriously high spec with nothing wrong with it, 442 for 3months tax is alot on an E class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

I can't see a 3.2V6 E class being bangernomics territory for me, if I was paying that tax I'd be looking at S-class and 7 series.

Unless that one is seriously high spec with nothing wrong with it, 442 for 3months tax is alot on an E class.

Stick it in the garage and hope someone shoots the greens sometime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Seems almost too good to be true really.
    That the E series left the factory with rust resembling the Japs mid 70tees. Every example I look at is corroding....

The next generation seem to be plagued with electronic problems?

bigbadbear wrote: »
    Maybe the owner is a realist and knows that a lot of people out there will be thinking along the same lines as Limerick Man ...
    Could be as simple as knowing that he's stuck with something that'll really sting in the tail come taxing time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Anyone got the loan of a magnifying glass for the other photos on that advert? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Comfort, brilliant interiors, usually stylish and a breath of fresh air next to the usual Merc/BMW tosh and better value too.

What's not to like?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement