Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bigbadbear

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1524651

View2-3872601.jpeg

€1250 could easily get away with €1100 anyway

Wouldn't mind this if the miles weren't too high and running well.

DL reg to me means suspension could be fooked
    viewFullPhoto.jsp?cid=3872601&ad=1524651

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

^^ Great find! Entire cooling system could be replaced for less than €800 and front and rear suspension complete rebuilds for less than €900, if you do the work yourself. Bargain!

^^ Great find! Entire cooling system could be replaced for less than €800 and front and rear suspension complete rebuilds for less than €900, if you do the work yourself. Bargain!

€1700 for parts :eek: You'd get several decent bangers for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

As chancy as it gets :

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1390006

View2-3348925.jpeg

Im sure this was up here before just for more money. You could fix it in your shed for nothing and be lucky or it could be a bottomless pit !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I sold the Saab, so I'm back in the market... Keep an eye out :P

• Advertisement

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1546677

Over a years test and two months tax!

Full?id=3960051

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

Do you need to be an amateur mechanic to buy and run a proper bangernomics car? Im no Ed China and have to pay to get anything fixed.

I find from cars ive owned that things just fall off or stop working as they get older so any savings on buying a cheap car are soon eaten up. Normal routine servicing is expected but the wear and tear items that come with age and mileage such as suspension bushings, clutch, brakes etc can turn a cheap car into a money pit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Do you need to be an amateur mechanic to buy and run a proper bangernomics car? Im no Ed China and have to pay to get anything fixed.

I find from cars ive owned that things just fall off or stop working as they get older so any savings on buying a cheap car are soon eaten up. Normal routine servicing is expected but the wear and tear items that come with age and mileage such as suspension bushings, clutch, brakes etc can turn a cheap car into a money pit.

Ah, but that's when you roll it off a cliff and walk on to the next one !!

Thats the beauty of it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭alias no.9

homer90 wrote: »
    Ah, but that's when you roll it off a cliff and walk on to the next one !!

Thats the beauty of it !

Knowing when to cut and run is crucial in bangernomics.

Do you need to be an amateur mechanic to buy and run a proper bangernomics car?

In my opinion, yes and no, you need to be able to do a bit or at least know someone who'll do it for you for handy money. It's not ALL fun and games this bangernomics, but it beats loosing savage money in depriciation :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,612 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1546677

Over a years test and two months tax!

Bangernomics excellence :)

My sister had one of those for years. Horrible to drive but possibly the most reliable car..... in the wurllllddd :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Top Dog wrote: »
    Anyone got the loan of a magnifying glass for the other photos on that advert? :eek:

I know.:rolleyes:

WTF is up with people who can't seem to put together a decent ad on donedeal?? Seriously, photos not properly attached, vital information left out (mileage/nct details), nonexistent engine specs? 1.4 vtecs, 1.8Tdi golfs, 1.9 td avensis!!!:mad::mad: How can you own a car & not know these basic facts?

It makes me think the person responsible either knows nothing about the car he/she is selling or he/she is old & not too good on computers. Or they're just lazy.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

I know.:rolleyes:

WTF is up with people who can't seem to put together a decent ad on donedeal?? Seriously, photos not properly attached, vital information left out (mileage/nct details), nonexistent engine specs? 1.4 vtecs, 1.8Tdi golfs, 1.9 td avensis!!!:mad::mad: How can you own a car & not know these basic facts?

It makes me think the person responsible either knows nothing about the car he/she is selling or he/she is old & not too good on computers. Or they're just lazy.:pac:

Having a bad day ?? :D

Its true though... does my nut in too !!
    Its up there with 2.0 but 999cc on the log book ..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1499028

there is a car that would serve someone for another ten years, and run on waste vegetable oil to boot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

argosy2006 wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1499028

there is a car that would serve someone for another ten years, and run on waste vegetable oil to boot!

I would suspect that, since it's going so cheap, it's probably already been to the moon and back ...either that or the seller is clueless

peasant wrote: »
    I would suspect that, since it's going so cheap, it's probably already been to the moon and back ...either that or the seller is clueless

even if it has been to moon and back it will go to moon again,:D with an indate nct is has to have good emmissions and engine, u would assume, looks tidy, kk reg, local car, hasnt been far

peasant wrote: »

date on pics is 2007 :eek: so whats it look like now lol

In the last 18 months I've had a 1993 Prelude, 1992 Merc e250 diesel, 1997 Rover Coupe and a 1993 BMW 520i. Only needed a garage for CV boots (nasty job I wouldn't be arsed or interested in doing). The other work I did was only basic oil changes etc. No brakes (well I has to adjust the handbrake on the Merc and diagnose an ABS issue on it too), timing belts, shocks, springs etc were required. Gearbox went on the Rover so I just cut my losses. Many cars don't fall apart as they get older, just be careful what you buy.

even if it has been to moon and back it will go to moon again,:D with an indate nct is has to have good emmissions and engine, u would assume, looks tidy, kk reg, local car, hasnt been far

looks like the front shocks are past their best, she is very low, also only 7 months test left on her, tested yonks ago so I'd take the good engine presumption with a grain of salt if all you're basing it on is a valid NCT. Would be fairly sure she was a taxi / hackney at some point.

Here's a 230,000 miler that was just NCTd a few weeks prior to the photo, shocks perfect, notice the ride height.

1.jpg

• Advertisement

date on pics is 2007 :eek: so whats it look like now lol

Date not correct on the camera I would think, there are flowers in one of the gardens and the hedges don't look like it's the !st of January either ;)

Did you mean to put the first one in there? A very evil looking car alright. I'd pay €200 for one myself but not €8000

EDIT: I'm not saying it's only worth €200 though. You need to be into classics to buy one at a price anywhere near that I reckon

bigbadbear wrote: »
    Did you mean to put the first one in there? A very evil looking car alright. I'd pay €200 for one myself but not €8000

EDIT: I'm not saying it's only worth €200 though. You need to be into classics to buy one at a price anywhere near that I reckon

just put it in as its a strange to see it with a diesel fitted

anyone ever see a lexus ls400 with a diesel fitted//>?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

My pet hate is anyone putting WOW, in their ad's. It's retarded beyond belief.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/1538001

And this ad above:

You've just lobbed a diesel into a nice classic, and totally destroyed it. WOW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

€250!!!!!!!!!!!
    6 months tax, 2 years test. My cynical side is tingling!!!
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1547823

View2-3964043.jpeg

€250!!!!!!!!!!!
    6 months tax, 2 years test. My cynical side is tingling!!!
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1547823

View2-3964043.jpeg

timing belt done nearly 200 tax and full service done and toyota badge and she cant spell her own name and the word dump valve leads you to the ad and its not real

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭jaffa20

bigbadbear wrote: »
    timing belt done nearly 200 tax and full service done and toyota badge and she cant spell her own name and the word dump valve leads you to the ad and its not real

Sold already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭1948Wolseley

RoverJames wrote: »
    looks like the front shocks are past their best, she is very low, also only 7 months test left on her, tested yonks ago so I'd take the good engine presumption with a grain of salt if all you're basing it on is a valid NCT. Would be fairly sure she was a taxi / hackney at some point.

Agreed. Sagging springs are another problem on W124s. The front shocks are beside the springs, rather than in them so there's nothing to support the springs when they get to be past their best. I had distinctly bow-shaped front springs on my old W124.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

900 should be a bangernomics qualification for this honda legend.

• Advertisement

JJJJNR wrote: »
    900 should be a bangernomics qualification for this honda legend.

No NCT and no pics, hard to know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement