Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

bigbadbear wrote: »
    how did ya spot that ya hero

I laughed until I stopped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

unkel wrote: »
    ...and it can run on used veggie oil :D
    Unfortunately, this one can't run trouble free on anything else than dirty Diesel. This engine doesn't have the traditional indestructible, mechanically controlled in-line Bosch injection pump, but instead has the Lucas unit - not as good and sensitive for fuel quality (you can adopt the older Bosch pump to that engine anyway). The last engines that would drink anything including hydraulic fluid (tested by my friend on his over 1 mln km Benz) are the ones installed in the W124 and W201 series. I could try it also in the early W210 E250 / E300 Diesel / Turbodiesel with OM605 / OM606 engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1527719

My type of bus, leather, auto, year and a half test, 6 cylinder €1850!

View2-3884920.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Saab 95 2.3T Auto, leather, etc, 700 smackers!

Pity the guy can't take photos the right way up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,612 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Confab wrote: »
    Saab 95 2.3T Auto, leather, etc, 700 smackers!

Pity the guy can't take photos the right way up.

If that really has a full service history, it's a bargain! I'd have that in the morning thanks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

unkel wrote: »
    If that really has a full service history, it's a bargain! I'd have that in the morning thanks :D

Yeah, but even if it does the Saab lads reccomend using a different oil to what Saab themselves actually recommend. I'd be listening for a rattle sound, taking it for a lenghty spin and making sure no rattle comes out of it.

Worst comes to worst you'd spend that on a few nights drinking and would break it for parts afterwards :L

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1527719

My type of bus, leather, auto, year and a half test, 6 cylinder €1850!

........ and low miles :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 happyG

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1548444

If I test drive this lady what should I be watching or listening for? Anyone know when timing belt should be done? think she has 101k on clock? What was that about the oil to use and listening for a rattle?

Thanks

HappyG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭analfabets

happyG wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1548444

If I test drive this lady what should I be watching or listening for? Anyone know when timing belt should be done? think she has 101k on clock? What was that about the oil to use and listening for a rattle?

Thanks

HappyG
    There is no timing belt on these.
    There was a big problem with the engine sludge on these not sure how to check if problem is present. Don't think you can see mutch when remove oil filler cap on these.

Select coldest air setting on climate, and check the rear vent's for hot air. Common problem on 9-5. Engine needs to be warmed up before checking this.

Check for oil leak on pulley side of the engine. There is often a new oil pump seal needed or head needs to be re-torqued.

Check if all the taillights are working properly. There are usually damaged wires near boot hinges. Common fault, easy fix.

Few times check wipers,seats,indicators, absence of these can be caused by bad ignition switch (easy fix don't need to change barrel) or faulty DICE module. (even if replacement is bought fron scrapyard, only Saab dealer can fit it as it needs to be divorced from original car and paired to yours, usind tech2 computer)

Check SID (informative display in middle console) for missing pixels

If you see "service theft alarm" message on SID after starting the car, that most likely means that the alarm module needs new batteries. It is easy fix, but the batteries are hard to get. Failing to change them will result in alarm sounding randomly and will not be controlleable by remote.

I apologise for messy english. You probably already guessed that it isn't my native language.:)

• Advertisement

thanks for that. just checked out this site and it has given me second thoughts on buying her

http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/saab/9-5/r45027/comments/page-10/

Some nightmare stories there. I just wanted something fun for a year or so, but need it to be somewhat reliable

If there is an oil leak on pulley side of engine? is that a big deal? wouold expect a small leak or 2 after 100K.
    Owner also said batteries in 2 keys were gone and that this was a common problem

If there is an oil leak on pulley side of engine? is that a big deal? wouold expect a small leak or 2 after 100K.
    Owner also said batteries in 2 keys were gone and that this was a common problem

Small leak from where exactly? The rocker cover gasket? And if there's oil leaking down onto the pulleys (there are a good few of them there) that can't be a good thing!

The main thing I would listen for is a light (or heavy even) rattle when revving the engine. This will indicate that the sump is some what blocked and there is damage being done.

Other than that they're seriousy fun cars, and frigthenly quick cars! (There's an ecu you can get for 2-300 to bring it up closer to the 300 bhp mark!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭analfabets

Small leak from where exactly? The rocker cover gasket? And if there's oil leaking down onto the pulleys (there are a good few of them there) that can't be a good thing!

Other than that they're seriousy fun cars, and frigthenly quick cars! (There's an ecu you can get for 2-300 to bring it up closer to the 300 bhp mark!

Have to agree there. I bought a '99 one with 140000 miles on the clock.. Griffin, not Aero for less than 1000€ with all the common faults at present. Since i'm mechanically mainded in didn't cost me mutch to fix them. Only back from 5600 km trip to far Europe. It didn't miss a beat. They are very nice to drive.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

47276137279472770814669.jpg

18 months test for less than 2 grand, pretty good condition for age and runs grand... that will do me for a year or so!

Vikings wrote: »
    18 months test for less than 2 grand, pretty good condition for age and runs grand... that will do me for a year or so!

Ah now, what is it? 3___

Congrats :)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1324992

what ya reckon of this one?

think the Saab aero is too risky for me!:(

HappyG

Vikings wrote: »
    47276137279472770814669.jpg

Hardly a bargain though is it, unless it was almost a grand under the €2000, happy motoring with her anyway.

If that had leather maybe! It's just a bit too low spec for bangernomics territory! And a 1.8 Accord would be a safe bet, but they're slow as hell and fierce heavy! Also you don't know the actually asking price, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bigbadbear

Full?id=3501511

Oh god the instrumants on all the 90's merc makes me want to puke my guts up. Like their showing the steam pressure of the engine or something. Even on the e class it was nearly unchanged from the early 80's. It would nearly put me off the cars altogether.

Comapare that to the most classy looking dash ever in the later models...

no-image-large.gif

Happy G what about the T5 from earlier. Yummy....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1324992

what ya reckon of this one?

think the Saab aero is too risky for me!:(

HappyG

'Car never crashed' means 'Frequent contact with walls and other road users'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Confab wrote: »
    'Car never crashed' means 'Frequent contact with walls and other road users'.

Or 'one ****ing lucky previous owner' :D

so heres the deal

really want a bmw 330d or 335d, 08 for tax and vrt purposes, can get a 08 330d m sport in for 24k cleared but it has 125k miles on it, it has a FSh from bmw, any others i looked at were too expensive or had 197gms of CO2 which meant VRT and road tax too high

Do i try to exploit bangereconomics for a yr and wait for the 335d ( awesome machine, drove one last wk) or do i go with the high mileage 330d?????

have no car at the mo so need to make a decision!!:confused:

so heres the deal

really want a bmw 330d or 335d, 08 for tax and vrt purposes, can get a 08 330d m sport in for 24k cleared but it has 125k miles on it, it has a FSh from bmw, any others i looked at were too expensive or had 197gms of CO2 which meant VRT and road tax too high

Do i try to exploit bangereconomics for a yr and wait for the 335d ( awesome machine, drove one last wk) or do i go with the high mileage 330d?????

have no car at the mo so need to make a decision!!:confused:

Bangernomics, you'll get addicted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Ah now, what is it? 3___

Congrats :)

318, by my reckoning it's the M44B19 engine. After my Accord I wanted something cheaper but with a little power and a slightly lower tax bill. Ruled out 323's + up unfortunately. Still, enjoying the handling so far, havn't used it enough to pick out the bad points yet.
    RoverJames wrote: »
    Hardly a bargain though is it, unless it was almost a grand under the €2000, happy motoring with her anyway.

Not compared with some of the bargains here no, MarkN looked like he got a steal a few pages back but I paid a few hundred below the 2k mark so it's a banger enough for me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭frank gooding

How bout this

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1552422

I know there is some tidying but still cheap as chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

How bout this

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1552422

I know there is some tidying but still cheap as chips.

In the motor trade I used to value cars like that as "Free Towaway" on trade-in appraisals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/21/65234421.html

Needs a bit of work but not too bad..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

That's more like it :D
    My one (earlier model with same engine) sounded like it needed a timing chain until I found a €25 fix...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement