Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Mate of mine had a 1997 750i, consumption never went above 15-16MPG. Its commonly thought that the 750 is the daddy when it comes to E38s, which whilst may be true spec wise, the 740i is just as fast. There's a video on Youtube that confirms as much.

BMW understated the power of the 740 to distance the 750 from it, when in fact it has around 310bhp (official 282bhp) and is lighter than the 750. The 740i Sport is the fastest of the lot, with its 3.15 differential and higher stall torque converter, it can hit 60mph in 5.8-5.9 seconds once you know what you're doing no problem.

A 12 year old V12 with 200k miles, the owner will do very well to get rid of her! Its only real value is in parts unfortunately, where a €1000-€1500 price tag would look very tempting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,381 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Lads, get a room for the 0-60 arguments! :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

esel wrote: »
    Lads, get a room for the 0-60 arguments! :D

I think the last thing a fella is worried about is the 0-60 time in a 750!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

6.8s 0-62 for a V12(with v12 running costs) isn't particularly impressive, even in a 7 series IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The 750iL is sold! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

I'm not surprised it went so fast, a huge amount of car for the money even Considering the rarity and future classic it will be

I know the 740 is currently more desirable as the running costs are lower for the same or better performance, but a v12 5.4litre, long wheel base, yum yum even if it's not the fastest

mullingar wrote: »
    I'm not surprised it went so fast, a huge amount of car for the money even Considering the rarity and future classic it will be

I know the 740 is currently more desirable as the running costs are lower for the same or better performance, but a v12 5.4litre, long wheel base, yum yum even if it's not the fastest

The way I see it, if you're paying the 1564 or what ever the tax for the year is, you might as well go for as big an engine as possible! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The way I see it, if you're paying the 1564 or what ever the tax for the year is, you might as well go for as big an engine as possible! :D

1566 EUR/year and you're entirely wrong. You should go for the car/engine that gives you exactly, what you're looking for.

Why is it, that everybody measures the cost of a car, by what it costs in motor tax ? It is not the most expensive bit in your upkeep.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

Marlow wrote: »
    1566 EUR/year and you're entirely wrong. You should go for the car/engine that gives you exactly, what you're looking for.

Why is it, that everybody measures the cost of a car, by what it costs in motor tax ? It is not the most expensive bit in your upkeep.

/M

if limerickman wanted a 5.4 v12, that's what he wanted regardless of the tax!

1566/yr for a v12. Well worth it

FFs I would pay that in blood to hear that v12 roar every day, drool.

Way I see it too, hence the upgrade! Whats an additional €350 when you're already paying nearly four times that!

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »

/M

That only what I'd do! The running costs on a 4.4 v8 and going to crucify you as much as a 5.4 V12, they're both going to be equally horrible! I'm sure the price of parts etc. are going to be equally horrible on both as well anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Way I see it too, hence the upgrade! Whats an additional €350 when you're already paying nearly four times that!

What did you upgrade to ?
    That only what I'd do! The running costs on a 4.4 v8 and going to crucify you as much as a 5.4 V12, they're both going to be equally horrible! I'm sure the price of parts etc. are going to be equally horrible on both as well anyway!

Well, I'd love a V12 at some point, but I much prefer the V8 sound and honestly, I'd go for the 4.95l V8, not the 4.4l.

Besides that, the older 740i's were 4.0l, still 1566 EUR/year though. I picked one up at a bargain and I mean bargain. It's now costing me nearly as much as the yearly tax to stick 4 new tyres and 2 new shocks in it. That's the way it is.

/M

728i is up for sale, swapping for a 740i (E38 V8s only went up to 4.4l).

Here's a nice "banger": http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mercedes-Benz/E-Class/e200-new/201011197293489/advert?channel=CARS

Frig all miles, new NCT and yours for €1200 no doubt. Good deal!

728i is up for sale, swapping for a 740i (E38 V8s only went up to 4.4l).!

I'd love to buy your car, but the money is a bit too much for me to want to invest in a car at the moment! It ticks all the boxes for me, but then I wonder would a nice 03ish 520 petrol Msport do the same job with less running costs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I'd love to buy your car, but the money is a bit too much for me to want to invest in a car at the moment! It ticks all the boxes for me, but then I wonder would a nice 03ish 520 petrol Msport do the same job with less running costs!
    :D
    Going your way, sure it would do the same job, so it would a 316i with again cheaper running (ownership) cost ;).

Seweryn wrote: »
    :D
    Going your way, sure it would do the same job, so it would a 316i with again cheaper running (ownership) cost ;).

LOL, if it's a smart comment in relation to the tax I posted about up a few posts, if you re read it you'll see I said if you're going to pay the into top tax brand (ie. the 1564) you may as well go for the highest engine possible as there's no difference in tax. ;)

LOL, if it's a smart comment in relation to the tax I posted about up a few posts, if you re read it you'll see I said if you're going to pay the into top tax brand (ie. the 1564) you may as well go for the highest engine possible as there's no difference in tax. ;)
    Sorry if it sounded like that, but no, I didn't mean to put a smart comment. The 728iA is not in top tax band, as there are 2 or 3 higher rates and it is a good bit cheaper to tax than a 740iA.

Sorry if it sounded like that, but no, I didn't mean to put a smart comment. The 728iA is not in top tax band, as there are 2 or 3 higher rates and it is a good bit cheaper to tax than a 740iA.

Aye, I think you're a bit confused. I was origionally saying one might as well go for a 750 as much as they could go for a 740. The same with buying a 3.6 v8 diesel Range Rover and a 4.2 supercharged petrol :P :P

Aye, I think you're a bit confused. I was origionally saying one might as well go for a 750 as much as they could go for a 740. The same with buying a 3.6 v8 diesel Range Rover and a 4.2 supercharged petrol :P :P
    Right :p, I know what you mean ;). Anything above 3.0l is in the same game...
    I have to say gently that I do not really like the way that my "big" engine, low power cars are being taxed :(.

Right :p, I know what you mean ;). Anything above 3.0l is in the same game...
    I have to say gently that I do not really like the way that my "big" engine, low power cars are being taxed :(.

That may be a discussion for another thread, we might get told off in here :P

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1588528

With a good clean and a set of alloys it would be perfect bangernomics! (And if it was bought for a grand)

Full?id=4120754

• Advertisement

That may be a discussion for another thread, we might get told off in here :P

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1588528

With a good clean and a set of alloys it would be perfect bangernomics! (And if it was bought for a grand)
    I was looking for exactly the same model last year for myself. Low tax and good fuel economy (plus the estate body which I prefer) were the main reasons. Finally, bad reputation of these TDS engines put me off as I do quite a lot of driving and I went for the Benz, which has proven its excellent reliability and brilliant fuel economy (c.a. 10 cent per km to run including all running costs).
    The BMW TDS engine needs to be checked - injection pump in particular and the fuel supply system in general as well as the turbocharger. Good service history is important with these TDS engines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

728i is up for sale, swapping for a 740i (E38 V8s only went up to 4.4l).

Here's a nice "banger": http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mercedes-Benz/E-Class/e200-new/201011197293489/advert?channel=CARS

Frig all miles, new NCT and yours for €1200 no doubt. Good deal!

Been on sale for a while now that car.

Two problems for me. Its got a very short NCT and its manual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I was looking for exactly the same model last year for myself. Low tax and good fuel economy (plus the estate body which I prefer) were the main reasons. Finally, bad reputation of these TDS engines put me off as I do quite a lot of driving and I went for the Benz, which has proven its excellent reliability and brilliant fuel economy (c.a. 10 cent per km to run including all running costs).
    The BMW TDS engine needs to be checked - injection pump in particular and the fuel supply system in general as well as the turbocharger. Good service history is important with these TDS engines.

Is that a C220 your talking about?

Is that a C220 your talking about?
    No, a W201 190D I was talking about ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

No, a W201 190D I was talking about ;).

Oh right. Are they a decent car?

Im on a bit of a hunt for a good comfortable old diesel car. Peugeot 406 hdi, mazda 626 td sort of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

...good condition all round...
    Bit optimistic, eh? Broken rear light cluster, possibly broken rear wiper, dented boot, missing door mirror trim (probably expensive to replace if you want it colour coded), missing/damaged bumper trim, and maybe he didn't take pictures of the interior for a reason? Looks like it would cost a bit to make it look respectable again...

Oh right. Are they a decent car?
    Excellent car if your priorities are: reliability, longevity, low maintenance and general low running cost, decent comfort, build quality and low price of purchase.
    It is not the fastest car (it would do 100 mph / 160 km/h, which is still way above any limits in this country), but probably the cheapest one to run (including all running costs) of any car, if you do big enough mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

If this was SWB, i'd buy it. LWB in this model is just a little overkill for my tastes.

S500

1500 euro. You'd get it for 1200 i'd say.

Full Mercedes SH, 2 Owners and 86k

no-image-large.gif

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mercedes-Benz/S-Class/S500/201038199646355/advert?channel=CARS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Bigus

daRobot wrote: »
    If this was SWB, i'd buy it. LWB in this model is just a little overkill for my tastes.

S500

1500 euro. You'd get it for 1200 i'd say.

Full Mercedes SH, 2 Owners and 86k

no-image-large.gif

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mercedes-Benz/S-Class/S500/201038199646355/advert?channel=CARS

You better put your money down so because it is SWB.

• Advertisement

Thats some deal!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement