Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

andr3w103 wrote: »
    sur dats all ye want then lol..run rings around boy racers:eek:

Well, at 286 bhp, that should be possible, but that's not the point.

And, unfortunatly to some, older BMWs definatly fit the bangernomics category.

I will never get, why they become dead cheap at a certain age, because they are super lovely cars, but they require maintainence. If you slack on that, they'll kick back .. badly.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

you didnt include enough detail

for 100 euro (and 2 hard disks) he got a 740i that had a damaged headliner and a few minor rust spots and the traction control was faulty, but it had alloys (including a bbs spare) , the full tool kit , quite clean leather seats, climate control, NCT until may 2011 , was taxed until june of this year , no dents, no crash damage it seems, it has very little wrong with it , personally I thought it was the deal of the century and this thread will never top it ever !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

for 100 euro (and 2 hard disks) he got a 740i that had a damaged headliner and a few minor rust spots and the traction control was faulty, but it had alloys (including a bbs spare) , the full tool kit , quite clean leather seats, climate control, NCT until may 2011 , was taxed until june of this year , no dents, no crash damage it seems, it has very little wrong with it , personally I thought it was the deal of the century and this thread will never top it ever !

+1000. Marlow could never be accused of blowing his own trumpet anyway..;). Definitley deserves its own thread....

Ok, lets complete it then.

- The alloys were swapped front to back on the one side.
    - There was one bolt missing in each wheel, which seems to be the locking bolt, as the lock-nut was missing from the tool kit
    - the car has no traction control (i mean by design... it's just one year to old... became standard in the 7-series in 96), but it was cruise control, that is scewed up from the alloy swap and the tracking was completely off
    - whenever it was taxed to doesn't matter, as the tax was out, when i got it.
    - there's a face painted on the back of the headrest
    - and the headliner is destroyed, to say it mildly
    - the car has a few electrical issues and some broken bits inside, but all minor.

But yes, all in all, it was a bargain :) And it's all easy fixable.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭andr3w103

Marlow wrote: »
    Well, at 286 bhp, that should be possible, but that's not the point.

And, unfortunatly to some, older BMWs definatly fit the bangernomics category.

I will never get, why they become dead cheap at a certain age, because they are super lovely cars, but they require maintainence. If you slack on that, they'll kick back .. badly.

/M

ye but its funny how they think their civcs are better...ah bless.

yeah its crazy how ye can get a once 50 or so grand car for a couple of hundred

...but i think most the new bmws are absolute horrible nowadays though. like the new 6 series..its nowhere as nice as the e24...and all the x series are junk

• Advertisement

...but i think most the new bmws are absolute horrible nowadays though. like the new 6 series..its nowhere as nice as the e24...and all the x series are junk

You understand then, why I stick with the E39's and now a E38. I'd love to get my hands on a 850CSi at some point and that wish hasn't decreased after driving Matts today, but I'm sure that particular car will be hard to be found in the bangernomics section :D

Anyhow ..better get back on topic.

/M

You understand then, why I stick with the E39's and now a E38. I'd love to get my hands on a 850CSi at some point and that wish hasn't decreased after driving Matts today, but I'm sure that particular car will be hard to be found in the bangernomics section :D

/M
    oh definately..they are so much nicer. yeah i went through a phase of obsession with them aswel..i have to agree with you there:D..but there not bad value either lol..theres a few on piston heads for a couple of grand

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

unkel wrote: »
    Small!!!???

Lean, mean, sleek compared to butch, square, obese, you mean surely?

The W140 is the only Mercedes I can think of from the last few decades that looks crap. MB could not have got the S-class more wrong than this one. Horrible! I love the looks of the W126 (I will own a 500SE one soon enough I keep telling myself) and the coming of the W220 was a big relief (hailed the best car in the world by most of the motoring journos back in the late 90s)

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the W140 either, it looks like a big brick rolling on 15"s. But it still looks, and is, bigger than the E38. Gimme the E38 any day.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Tidying it up. Maybe use it for the Arctic Scally Rally next year.

I really hope you're planning on bringing it home from Bodo if you're doing the Arctic Rally, it brought a tear to my eye seeing all those lovely cars being abandoned and crushed up there when I did it last year.. :(

But good on ya, now thats what I call travelling in style, I just hope you have a large fuel fund.. bloody Norwegian's floating in oil up there and they charge a fortune for fuel.. :D

Tox

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    I really hope you're planning on bringing it home from Bodo if you're doing the Arctic Rally, it brought a tear to my eye seeing all those lovely cars being abandoned and crushed up there when I did it last year.. :(

But good on ya, now thats what I call travelling in style, I just hope you have a large fuel fund.. bloody Norwegian's floating in oil up there and they charge a fortune for fuel.. :D

Tox

Heh. I have family in Tromsø, so the plan is to continue on up north after the Rally and then drive all the way back to Ireland.

/M

• Advertisement

100 EUR for a BMW 520i E39 from '97

View2-4134852.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1591899

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

100 EUR for a BMW 520i E39 from '97

View2-4134852.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1591899

/M

I'd say that a misprinnt on purpose. Actually price of a thousand euro maybe :P

I'd say that a misprinnt on purpose. Actually price of a thousand euro maybe :P

Could very well be. If it drives, that's still not a bad price.

/M

No mention of mileage or NCT, come on Darius, write a propor add ffs :pac:

RoverJames wrote: »
    No mention of mileage or NCT, come on Darius, write a propor add ffs :pac:

Well, it says leather upholstry also, but has a passenger cloth seat in one of the pictures. Patchy at best, definatly going to have to be cheap.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Here's my first posting in this area

€950

View2-4137177.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1592494

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

This would be a great car for a family if it has NCT: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1567588

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    Here's my first posting in this area

€950

View2-4137177.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1592494

damn good first post. Looks like a good buy. Needs a nice set of alloys and then its good to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭jaffa20

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1593274

View2?id=4140498

450quid

Judging by his use of english in the ad though, i say good luck in college:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

jaffa20 wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1593274

450quid

Judging by his use of english in the ad though, i say good luck in college:)

:D

• Advertisement

No mention of milage or NCT. Also some wrong coloured body bits, strikes me as a heap of ****e to be honest.

No mention of milage or NCT. Also some wrong coloured body bits, strikes me as a heap of ****e to be honest.
    oh but its soo cool

oh but its soo cool

defo cool and I'd love a Jag some day (maybe quite soon as the ZT is getting me used to low 20mpgs and a grand a year tax), still better ones out there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Heh. I have family in Tromsø, so the plan is to continue on up north after the Rally and then drive all the way back to Ireland.

/M

Nice, we were thinking of heading up there afterwards but time constraints prevented us from doing so..

If you need a co-pilot, give us a shout, would love to do it again, but in a decent car this time.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Nissan/Maxima/2.0-SE/201029198867916/advert?channel=CARSAnyone familiar with these hulks?I know they depreciate faster than an Irish National Credit Rating, but surely this one has hit the bottom?Are they troublesome at all though, it seems like reasonable value.Or should I hang on for the W124 Estate I was kinda hoping for........</p>

They are very good, engine is a peach, not fantastically powerful but not bad at all. Most of them are auto though. I would take one over a W124 to be honest.

They are very good, engine is a peach, not fantastically powerful but not bad at all. Most of them are auto though. I would take one over a W124 to be honest.

Banned for six weeks

• Advertisement

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1564933

If anyone buys that before I make up my mind there'll be trouble! :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement