Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Damie

E39MSport wrote: »
    Bit pricey for this category but I like these: -
    http://cars.donedeal.co.uk/for-sale/cars/1620202

I think you'd be nuts to offer more than 2k tbh

Damie wrote: »
    I think you'd be nuts to offer more than 2k tbh

You'd be wrong ;)
    They fetch huge money in the UK with double that mileage, huge as in £2000+.

Was looking at that car earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Ok clean car and looks good, but it's €3k....
    Is it really Bangernomics??
    It IS good value alright though. (Belt done and 2 years NCT, with low miles)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

It would definitely fit into my definition of bangernomics (however I haven't studied the theory to any great degree ;-)

I reckon it could be got for 2500 with a full tank. A lot of very nice low mileage car for that money imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

VolvoMan wrote: »
    The headlamps look of the darker variety fitted to Avantgarde trim.

The headlights darken with age especially when driven on bus lanes behind other diesel vehicles... Silver ones show it the best as they begin to contrast with the brighter panels. Same darkening is very noticeable on 124 series too.

Some pictures here including a silver Avantgarde:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1258065-official-w210-e-class-sticky-pictures.html

• Advertisement

RoverJames wrote: »
    You'd be wrong ;)
    They fetch huge money in the UK with double that mileage, huge as in £2000+.

Was looking at that car earlier.

They can look for 4k for all I care, its still a 14yr old car for 3grand, I still think you'd be nuts to offer more than 2...

They can look for 4k for all I care, its still a 14yr old car for 3grand, I still think you'd be nuts to offer more than 2...

In fairness most if not all of your posts in this thread are extremely negative :) Perhaps you should post some bangernomics options so you can show us how it's done :) And I didn't say look for I said fetch.

RoverJames wrote: »
    In fairness most if not all of your posts in this thread are extremely negative :) Perhaps you should post some bangernomics options so you can show us how it's done :) And I didn't say look for I said fetch.

Wha? Who pissed in your porridge? I thought this was a forum :rolleyes:

Wha? Who pissed in your porridge? I thought this was a forum :rolleyes:

Those sort of posts are what I'm on about, go on post a link to a car for us :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Here's a real heap of sh*t here, €499 even has NCT...would do if you were desperate for a car that would see you through a few weeks

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1601709

• Advertisement

:D lol

**someone has a different opinion than me....why, they are wrong I tell you!**

I made a comment on a car, you disagreed and then got a bee in your bonnet when I stick to my own opinion....?

:pac:

/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

handbag.gif

SShhhh !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Here's a real heap of sh*t here, €499 even has NCT...would do if you were desperate for a car that would see you through a few weeks

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1601709

I'd regard that as a perfect learner car

Not going to cost much to run, doesn't matter if it takes a knock or two and reasonably easy to learn to drive in.

The only issue would be a HG, clutch or gearbox and all are easy to work on in one of them

The HG is done and hopefully correctly, the gearbox is easy enough to spot if its failing and the clutch can go in every car.

No worse than a Pug of similar age and cheaper to fix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

:D lol

**someone has a different opinion than me....why, they are wrong I tell you!**

I made a comment on a car, you disagreed and then got a bee in your bonnet when I stick to my own opinion....?

:pac:

/

Jeez just let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1628334

I like these a lot, the estate appeals to me moreso, any opinions on what the transmission might cost to fix/replace?

Is the mileage going to be a problem, (I'm looking at you, RoverJames)

(",)

Great car but if the auto gearbox is gone I wouldn't touch it.

They are a pain and very expensive to fix

You would pick up a working example for not much more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I like these a lot, the estate appeals to me moreso, any opinions on what the transmission might cost to fix/replace?

(",)

Most common problem with those boxes is clutch pack breakup. That'll be e1000 please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

johnos1984 wrote: »
    Great car but if the auto gearbox is gone I wouldn't touch it.

They are a pain and very expensive to fix

You would pick up a working example for not much more than that.

How much would you be looking at for a new gearbox or would it be possible to fix? Even though usually when a gearbox is failing it means it needs replacement rather than repair.

How much would you be looking at for a new gearbox or would it be possible to fix? Even though usually when a gearbox is failing it means it needs replacement rather than repair.

There is a good gearbox crowd in NAAS, not sure of the name, but your looking at more than a grand for a refurb and fitting

Then you will have to sort out anything else which is wrong or worn out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

That looks to be one of the better 850 T-5's I have seen in recent times.

In reality, there is no reason why that car shouldn't be worth 3 grand. It's only the ignorance of our nation that makes prices of older cars so low.

• Advertisement

In reality, there is no reason why that car shouldn't be worth 3 grand. It's only the ignorance of our nation that makes prices of older cars so low.

Or high if you want a VAG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

That looks to be one of the better 850 T-5's I have seen in recent times.

Much as I hate to agree with some of the earlier trolling, a 13 year old over 2 litre petrol car is not going to go for 3 grand, unless its something rare or something. Theyd be extremely lucky to get half that imo.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Much as I hate to agree with some of the earlier trolling, a 13 year old over 2 litre petrol car is not going to go for 3 grand, unless its something rare or something. Theyd be extremely lucky to get half that imo.

Apologies to all for the behaviour earlier, I didn't intend on a having a pissing contest, just felt I was been picked on...again, apologies...ill keep my head down.

(",)

Depends on what's wrong, if it's totally sh&gged it will need a new or recon'd auto box. If it's slow shifting up or down a fluid change could do the trick, doubt it's that though. As John said a working one would probably be a better option :) 150K ish miles on it wouldn't bother me but I would sooner get a fresher one.
    Confab wrote: »
    Most common problem with those boxes is clutch pack breakup. That'll be e1000 please!

Not on the auto one :p

850 T5s are rare with less than 120/130K on them. If that mileage is genuine they'll have no bother shifting it for €2500+ within a few weeks. I reckon she'll be gone in a fortnight. And whoever pays €2500+ for it could shift it on for similar money this time next year if they only do average miles in it. I sh1t you not :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Apologies to all for the behaviour earlier, I didn't intend on a having a pissing contest, just felt I was been picked on...again, apologies...ill keep my head down.

Fcek that! Makes for a better read!

The Naas place is Naas gearbox centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

In continental Europe you'd struggle to get an average example for under 5k. It's only in Ireland and the UK that prices of old cars are rock bottom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Yeah, but we're IN Ireland so continental Europe prices mean fup all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭pcardin

In continental Europe you'd struggle to get an average example for under 5k. It's only in Ireland and the UK that prices of old cars are rock bottom.

But that is because cars from one country in continental europe can be sold and then registered and used in other. RHD cars can be used in Europe only in UK&IRL and outside these teritories they're useless.

• Advertisement

ok, to the volvo enthusiast or even just a car enthusiast(spelling?) then maybe it seems like good value and would be snapped up, fair enough...but to the average joe soap, its a big litre petrol engine thats almost 14 years old. Yes I'm a caveman.

Would love a spin in it mind you:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement