Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

johnos1984 wrote: »
    WANT

L-Series diesel with Leather interior

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1604026

Rear arches are rotten with rust though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

RoverJames wrote: »
    Rear arches are rotten with rust though.

I was just about to update the post when I realised. The rear doesn't look right either. I'm thinking its been shunted. The boot should have a spoiler and the badging is all out of place.

Pity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

Sorry but that rover goes against the grain of bangernomics for me.
    It should be mad, quirky, undesireable to the general punter, all about smiles per gallon and the love of the (petrol) internal combustion engine...on the least amount of money possible
    Bangernomics cars need to make you "fizz" to quote James May.
    And that rover is just meh IMHO

kazul wrote: »
    Sorry but that rover goes against the grain of bangernomics for me.
    It should be mad, quirky, undesireable to the general punter, all about smiles per gallon and the love of the (petrol) internal combustion engine...on the least amount of money possible
    And that rover is just meh IMHO

RUBBISH

It is undesirable to the general public, that diesel engine does give smiles per gallon, they are cheap and its a top spec model with leather and aircon.

Bangernomics is about the bang for the buck and although its not a 7 series or the like it is a top spec small car for someone in the market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

WANT

L-Series diesel with Leather interior

View2?id=4181939

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1604026

For a second i thought it was a 75.:( Just wouldn't buy a 25/200, I have been in one before & i think they're quite cramped inside & the dash is covered in seriously shiney/cheapo plastic.

Decent amount of car for the money but not for me.

• Advertisement

If it were priced at about €700 it might make sense. You can get way better cars for the same money these days.
    As for smiles per gallon in an old school diesel hatchback...:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

James Mays just an eccentric middle aged fart. Fizz? ...me hole.:rolleyes:

If it were priced at about €700 it might make sense. You can get way better cars for the same money these days.
    As for smiles per gallon in a small engined old school diesel hatchback...:confused:

I agree about the price

As for the fun factor, that engine is easily tunable as RoverJames will attest to ;)

I just always equate diesel engines with heavy machinery, I see the petrol engine as the purer, more artistic piece of engineering, the iron fist in the velvet glove...
    And diesel is just lumps of noisy, hard to harness, torquey power
    This, in a below par brand (as far as build quality is concerned) makes it more "boringnomics" to me.

As for the fun factor, that engine is easily tunable as RoverJames will attest to ;)

If that one is intercooled (with leather and air con I would imagine it is) 130bhp is easy to squeeze from her without much expense. The non intercooled ones can be gotten to 100bhp+ for free. Folks are getting close to 150bhp from the intercooled L series in MG ZRs and ZSs, they are spending £500 ish to get that though, more in cases.

• Advertisement

But I have more bhp in a standard n/a 2.0 petrol, and luxury and refinement for a much lower price.

makes it more "boringnomics" to me.

Buy for €1200, get 50mpg from it for a year, NCT it and sell the thing for over €700 in a years time, that is bangernomics old boy ;)

Invest in some 2nd hand ZR parts and a few tweaks under the bonnet and you'll have a serious 50mpg sleeper that will be leaving folks in 320ci s etc wondering wtf was that :eek:

I just always equate diesel engines with heavy machinery, I see the petrol engine as the purer, more artistic piece of engineering, the iron fist in the velvet glove...
    And diesel is just lumps of noisy, hard to harness, torquey power
    This, in a below par brand (as far as build quality is concerned) makes it more "boringnomics" to me.

This is the bangeronomics thread, diesel & petrol are welcome. A discussion on why petrol engines are better than diesel engines is utterly irrelevant. Why don't you start a thread on it?

Seriously, its just a cheap reliable very well specced small car for a grand although that example when i looked at it a second time is a bit dog eared

If you want cheap velvet gloves go to Marks and Spencers.

I disagree about that car being below par though. It was well made, very well made in fact in diesel form and it was refined for its class size as regards ride comfort and quietness.

Fair enough if you want big petrol barges but as other people look in the thread who actually want a cheap car or banger, I put it in

But I have more bhp in a standard n/a 2.0 petrol, and luxury and refinement for a much lower price.

And more than likely 25 ish mpg ;)
    Personally I wouldn't buy it but it is bangernomics in my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

How dya get the free bhp upgrade on basic Rover diesel James?Think it would work in 1.5 DCi Micra?!

ytareh wrote: »
    How dya get the free bhp upgrade on basic Rover diesel James?Think it would work in 1.5 DCi Micra?!

At the risk of going off topic and getting a mod slap :pac:
    - up the boost by adjusting length of actuator arm
    - the non intercooled L series has a mechanical fuel pump, you can adjust it to let more fuel in, not too much though or the exhaust gas temps will get too high
    - take off the cat, batter the cat stuff out of it and put the cat back on

Taking the shtuff out of the cat will improve performance on most diesels, a little boost increase even without an increase in fuelling will give a gain too :)

French couch

It's got to be worth the €300 as a chance

View2-4414684.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1663516

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I always liked the Safrane, my mates mother had one. Some amount of space inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Will it not fail NCT without cat?

• Advertisement

French couch

A mates dad owned one of these years ago.:D It was one of the most comfortable cars i have ever been in. You could do a lot worse for 300 euro.

A mates dad owned one of these years ago.:D It was one of the most comfortable cars i have ever been in. You could do a lot worse for 300 euro.

I was in what must of been the first one registered in Ireland back in 93. It talked and everything :cool:

For €300 a collector could nearly buy it and put it in a barn. It'll be as rare as hens teeth in a couple of years.

ytareh wrote: »
    Will it not fail NCT without cat?

Nope, so long as the actual cat is still there, diesels are tested for smoke, cats don't remove smoke from a diesel. Some testers may fail you if you have a decat pipe but a cat with the guts removed will pass no bother at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1541899
    for 1500 would be decent with that nct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

French couch

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1663516

These cars still fetch crazy money in France IIRC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

How can you tell???

It says little about equipment in the ad :confused:

It has the upgraded alloys and chrome door handles that suggest it is a high spec model, as well as front fogs.

argosy2006 wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1541899
    for 1500 would be decent with that nct

They're a fine big machine, ive test driven a few when i was into 4x4's for a few years. Some of them have glowplug anomalies in the winter, as in they can take a few minutes to start in very cold weather but still a very reliable machine. Great vehicle for towing, will tow a lot more than a hilux surf.(< i had one)
    Its a lot to take on though? 25mpg & expensive to tax. I would be looking to get a few hundred of the asking price. I sold my 3 litre surf this year but it took a few months to shift. Dammit off topic again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

VolvoMan wrote: »
    This is very cheap for a later model V40: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1676970

It looks very well equipped too and has tax/NCT.

Christ, I just spent a grand on a 99 Focus when I could have potentially had that :(

RichyX wrote: »
    Christ, I just spent a grand on a 99 Focus when I could have potentially had that :(

Neighbour bought an 04 for €6500 off a non Volvo main dealer 6 months back, that 01 is for nothing really, suspiciously cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement