Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

ooooh yeah A8
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1710300
    (parts for Matt_simis maybe)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

E39MSport wrote: »
    ooooh yeah A8

Mmm, just watch the film "Ronin" and buy it.

Feck the running costs:D

.......(and the crippling parts costs)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

homer90 wrote: »
    The 2.0 were a V6

No, the 2.0 in Ireland and the UK was a 4 cylinder.

LINK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

ooooh yeah A8

Made a call about this one. Lithuanian chap, was fairly pleasant on the phone.

Asked him about gearbox issues (seems to be fairly common with these cars). Said he had a few problems a while ago, but brought the car over to Lithuania to have it reconditioned as it's cheap to do so there.

No service history at all with the car, which unfortunately writes it off for me.

If the car is fine on inspection I wouldn't be remotely bothered by lack of service history if he knocked 2 or 3 hundred off the price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭andr3w103

ooooh yeah A8
    to think my friend just spent 3000 on a glanza...the youth of today :L

RoverJames wrote: »
    If the car is fine on inspection I wouldn't be remotely bothered by lack of service history if he knocked 2 or 3 hundred off the price.

Fine on inspection, and fine in three months can be two very different things.

Personally, having bought a 740i sport with no history before that was perfect on inspection (also inspected by good indy), and had major vanos troubles 4 months later that essentially wrote off the car (3k bill) I wouldn't go there again.

My Vanos troubles, having seen the state of the congealed oil in the engine once stripped down, were primarily due to lack of regular oil changes. A service history would have majorly reduced the risk of that happening.

Buying a car like a8's and 7's, the price is just the entry fee. That's why they're cheap. One big bill can sink it, and a service history in my opinion at least, is a major risk reducer. Two or three hundred off the asking won't go far when one of these bills crops up due to poor maintenance.

Vanos trouble on a BMW :eek:
    Par for the course really, hardly uncommon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

daRobot wrote: »
    No service history at all with the car, which unfortunately writes it off for me.

Hmmm...Old luxobarge in black being sold by a Lithuanian guy with no service history. Doesn't sound dodgy in the slightest.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Vanos trouble on a BMW :eek:
    Par for the course really, hardly uncommon.

Nope, not uncommon. But much more common without regular oil changes, hence why a verifiable service history is important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Buying a car like a8's and 7's, the price is just the entry fee. That's why they're cheap. One big bill can sink it,

And there in lies the meaning of bangernomics, if something does go majorily wrong you throw it in the bin and buy another one! It'd still cost less than a years depriciation of a more modern car, and if you played your cards right you cuold break most of that A8 and sell the bits to the likes of Matt Simis and make most of your money back :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

1993 Ford Orion "Mint" :D
    Not even in the widest scope can this car be called mint.
    Call or tex, TEX Prefered
    Qs astra, vectra, corolla, fiesta, evo, civic, vtec, bmw, skyline,, 106,206, 306, saxo, supra, pulsar, glanza, gt starlet, levin
    ARRRG!
    All car needs 4 test is springs.
    Full?id=4448535

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

biko wrote: »
    1993 Ford Orion "Mint" :D
    Not even in the widest scope can this car be called mint.

Without an nct its quite literally worth.....nothing.

With an nct? 2 or 3 hundred euro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Hmm "Never got any abuse", Chopping 2inchs or so off the springs and completely messing up the suspension is going to result in the car being abused with just normal driving down any sort of bumpy road!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

And there in lies the meaning of bangernomics, if something does go majorily wrong you throw it in the bin and buy another one! It'd still cost less than a years depriciation of a more modern car, and if you played your cards right you cuold break most of that A8 and sell the bits to the likes of Matt Simis and make most of your money back :P

Very true! I was 1/2 temped to pick up that A8, and have fun for 6months or so with it, say you pick it up for 1600, worst case something big goes and you sell the car in parts for say 600 (that 4.4 v8 is well worth more then that alone to someone who wants an engine for a track car etc!), so thats only a grand you down, much less then what most people cars deprecate every year. Road tax and petrol costs were the killer for me, I do too many miles at the minute to justify it, but some day, definitely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

mullingar wrote: »
    Mmm, just watch the film "Ronin" and buy it.

Feck the running costs:D

.......(and the crippling parts costs)

My dad had an XM exactly the same as that....

Shame it wasnt the V6, just the 2.1 diesel. Great car though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Magown3

Something for the impending snow perhaps?

Has nct (tho short) AND tax.

Should be easy on the juice also, and all for under a grand... Deadly.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1718338

View2-4621649.jpeg

Magown3 wrote: »

View2-4621649.jpeg

Hey what the hell? A diesel camry? never seen that before. Anybody any idea what they're like?

Pity its 4x4, that'll absorb any sort of decent fuel economy im sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Hey what the hell? A diesel camry? never seen that before.

Don't know many taxi drivers then? :)
    It's a V40 series Camry, sold between 1994 and 1998 in Japan (while we got the slightly larger XV10 and XV20), pretty much all the imports of these are diesels. I don't know what they're like, probably not much different from any other large Toyota from back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Hey what the hell? A diesel camry? never seen that before. Anybody any idea what they're like?

Pity its 4x4, that'll absorb any sort of decent fuel economy im sure.

A good lot of those JDM Camry's are used as taxi's, at least in Dublin they are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Don't know many taxi drivers then? :)
    It's a V40 series Camry, sold between 1994 and 1998 in Japan (while we got the slightly larger XV10 and XV20), pretty much all the imports of these are diesels. I don't know what they're like, probably not much different from any other large Toyota from back then.

Did those JDM Camry's ever come with a petrol engine? Only ever saw them with the 2.2L diesel unit.

Savage suggestion :)
    Never saw a 4wd one.

Max_Damage wrote: »
    A good lot of those JDM Camry's are used as taxi's, at least in Dublin they are.

Well here in cork i regularly get taxis & ive yet to see one! Must be a good few of them up in dublin if they're a common enough sight.

One thing that would put me off would be parts availablity here in ireland or do they share the same mechanicals with another common model of toyota?

I don't want to be cluttering up the thread becoming some bangernomics pedant, but all these things are so much easier said than done.

What's the level when you decide to get out of the commitment to the car and break it?

New cats and exhaust at 800? Cambelt at the same (for an a8 anyway)? Alternator? MAF? Once you start investing in a car, you're just committing to it more and more. You wouldn't break a car for these things as they're (albeit major) maintenance requirements. That 2k a8 can become a 4k a8 very very fast, even though nothing major has gone wrong.

Once you're at 4k level of investment, you won't be getting your money back from breaking, so if and when something major goes wrong, you'll probably try and fix it, in the fear that your next car will start the whole spending cycle over again. And it's at that precise point where your bangernomics gem has become a money pit, tripling your investment or more.

Breaking a car requires time, space (forget apartment living) and some mechanical skill, and your money won't be coming back fast. Drips of cash over 6 months is most likely.

Apologies for the buzzkill esque post, but people should go into "luxury" bangernomics with their eyes wide open as to what can go wrong. It's not as simple as "binning" it.

Did those JDM Camry's ever come with a petrol engine? Only ever saw them with the 2.2L diesel unit.

Presume they did, but as they are fairly rotten looking only diesel ones were deemed viable to sell here 2nd hand. I may well be wrong, but I wouldn't look at one compared to an Irish market one unless 'twas diesel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Yes, they were also available with 1.8 (4S-FE) and 2.0 (3S-FE) petrol engines (same as in the Carina E), but I don't think I've seen one here. There's a good few diesels in Limerick (taxis of course). There's also the Toyota Vista which is a very similar car (no Vista Cruiser :D).

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Damie

I don't want to be cluttering up the thread becoming some bangernomics pedant, but all these things are so much easier said than done.

Breaking a car requires time, space (forget apartment living) and some mechanical skill, and your money won't be coming back fast. Drips of cash over 6 months is most likely.

Apologies for the buzzkill esque post, but people should go into "luxury" bangernomics with their eyes wide open as to what can go wrong. It's not as simple as "binning" it.

Have to agree totally.....

The whole "if you get 6 months out of it, dump it and buy another" has one major point that people overlook i think....when it breaks on you, what are the costs involved eg tow truck, disposal, taxi's.
    Plus the time aspect, having to find another one which you may get 6 months out of but yes, you can bin it too....over a year the yearly cost could be just as high, if not higher, as a 3 year old....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Those modern (Auris?) wheels genuinely transform the look of that car! I always though they were horrible but that seems acceptable for some reason, lol.
    What's the level when you decide to get out of the commitment to the car and break it?

That completely depends on the car and the intial (if any) problems, and the problems that have occured while you've had it. The Bangernomics Saab 93 Aero I bought, the engine went on the way home. That was genuinely unlucky for me and genuinely devious of the previous owner, as he knew it was going. At the time I had the choice of rebuilding the engine, which I could have done and still had the car costing me less than they were worth, or sell it on at a loss. At the time it seemed to make sense to sell it on, and I sold it on with a blown engine for not a whole lot less than I bought it for.

The E200 I bought, I bought it, spent 800 on wheels, 30 quid on a radio, drove it and got it out of my system and sold it for a (small) profit. I sold the origional wheels a few weeks later for another few bob.
    New cats and exhaust at 800? Cambelt at the same (for an a8 anyway)? Alternator? MAF? Once you start investing in a car, you're just committing to it more and more. You wouldn't break a car for these things as they're (albeit major) maintenance requirements. That 2k a8 can become a 4k a8 very very fast, even though nothing major has gone wrong.

That particular A8 is risky over here, if it was the more common 2.8 it would be a safer bet, granted. It still doesn't stray away from that fact that if you bring someone who knows what they're looking at, knows what to look for that you could easily write out a list of current problems (General wear and tear, tyres, servicing, warning lights etc. are a dead give away, and you can easily see how much that car is going to cost you for it to be road legal and driveable) and decide whether or not to purchase. IMO bangernomics isn't about blind purchasing and not knowing what your looking at, you have to be able to work out your figures and your costs. From here, that A8 looks like a great buy, it's cheap and it's tested. Go and see it, it could be a completely different story, but it doesn't cost you a whole pile to go and look at a car.
    Once you're at 4k level of investment, you won't be getting your money back from breaking, so if and when something major goes wrong, you'll probably try and fix it, in the fear that your next car will start the whole spending cycle over again. And it's at that precise point where your bangernomics gem has become a money pit, tripling your investment or more.

Any car that's not in warranty can go wrong, a I said above if you are good with a keyboard you should be able to get parts across forums etc. etc. There's no way I would leave any bangernomics go from a 2k to a 4k investment. When you intially buy the car you are going to know what work has to go into it, if anything. If a month or two down the line the gearbox goes, but everything else is perfect with the car your going to be able to sell it for not a massive loss. Buy a 05 or 06 Audi and the gearbox goes and you can't afford to fix it you'll know all about depriciation then.

I can't imagine anyone buying a bangernomics car that doesn't have a bit of mechanical skill or know how, or access to it (through a friend etc.) Bangernomics is definitely not for everyone, and I think that's why alot of people wouldn't risk it. And also getting money back over a "6 month" period is better than not getting anything back at all. Granted it's not costing you to store it, you have the space etc. Again, these are all factors you have to consider before you buy the car. I don't think (and I'd hope) that anyone would buy a car purely based on the pictures on donedeal and what seems, from a distance, to be value for money. The link to the adds on donedeal on here are only the the very very start of the process, there's ALOT more left to do once you consider going to look or purchase a car.

I think this thread is mostly for entertainment for alot of people, I'd imagine 90% of people that post in here will never actually buy a car like that A8, but it gives most a good feeling knowing that they actually could.

And then for those people who are lucky (33%) and wise (33%) and crazy (33%) enough to actually go through with it, well on the likes of that A8, they've potentiall daved themselves around 98,000 grands worth of depriciation :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Magown3

Those modern (Auris?) wheels genuinely transform the look of that car! I always though they were horrible but that seems acceptable for some reason, lol.

I have to agree. It does look like a pretty neat, clean car. Maybe a little lip spoiler and you've got a pretty cool economic practical car for less than €1k :cool:

On another note, sporty number, lowish mileage for the age, nct and tax AND a badge. Looks clean enough also.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1719141

View2-4624437.jpeg

• Advertisement

I can't imagine anyone buying a bangernomics car that doesn't have a bit of mechanical skill or know how, or access to it (through a friend etc.) Bangernomics is definitely not for everyone, and I think that's why alot of people wouldn't risk it.

+ 1, need a little luck too, there is also some odds to be played. I'd be very very slow to spend a few hundred on a timing belt for a car I bought for €500. If it goes to goes, of course I'd also be slow to buy a car that has a engine known for belt snapping. If you buy a thing for small money that you reckon is sound and you knock 6 months out of it you are in a good position, most of them can be sold on for much the same as what you paid for it or of course you can keep running it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement