Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

adamshred wrote: »

Aftermarket A8 V12 wheels, a sharkfin aerial as well as what looks to be an aftermarket exhaust pipe ruin it. It also has one of those horrible wood effect steering wheel covers.

Why do people do these things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Aftermarket A8 V12 wheels, a sharkfin aerial as well as what looks to be an aftermarket exhaust pipe ruin it. It also has one of those horrible wood effect steering wheel covers.

Why do people do these things?

Steering wheels covers I detest! They should be banned! (Although I was delighted, the leather steering wheel in my Golf had been covered by a steering wheel cover for it's whole life :P)

Actual wood steering wheels I love, as long as they're not a crappy colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

unkel wrote: »
    Nope!

For someone doing average mileage, that A8 would be cheaper to run (total cost of ownership) than a 2 year old Corolla. That's the whole point about bangernomics. Lots of car for very little money, even if they cost a little bit more to run...

Is that Bangernomics though? It is just choosing to buy a barge over a newer econobox. I would define bangernomics as getting good usable cars for small money.

I bought a 1996 Mondeo 1.6 for my sister recently with a good bit of tax and test, good tyres and only 45k miles on the clock and in immaculate condition for €800. It drives like a new car and has clocked about 5k miles since without missing a beat and should last her for a good while.

I feel a bit sorry for the big barges being bought by people who think they can be run for Golf money. They are just going to be neglected and will be found rotting away all over the country within 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

maidhc wrote: »
    Is that Bangernomics though? It is just choosing to buy a barge over a newer econobox. I would define bangernomics as getting good usable cars for small money.

I bought a 1996 Mondeo 1.6 for my sister recently with a good bit of tax and test, good tyres and only 45k miles on the clock and in immaculate condition for €800. It drives like a new car and has clocked about 5k miles since without missing a beat and should last her for a good while.

I feel a bit sorry for the big barges being bought by people who think they can be run for Golf money. They are just going to be neglected and will be found rotting away all over the country within 2 years.

I think if you plan on spending peanuts on a car you might as well get all the car you possibly can out of it. A 1996 Mondeo doesn't have cruise control, heated seats, dual climate cruise control............ Ignoring the numerous safety benefits, abs, four wheel drive, traction control....

A big repair on either and you can scrap the car anyway. The only issue here is tax. But 1k+ a year on a car that depreciated 100k in ten years isn't that bad when you consider it.

Nothing wrong with your method though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Actual wood steering wheels I love, as long as they're not a crappy colour.

Yeah, me too. I love wood in cars in general. I just hate those covers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,615 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I feel a bit sorry for the big barges being bought by people who think they can be run for Golf money

Who said that? Of course a fully loaded big luxobarge will cost more to run than a Golf. But the whole point is that you don't have any depreciation, whereas the Golf depreciates €6k in its first year alone. There's a lot of maintenance, petrol and motor tax you can buy for that kinda money :)

BTW, your €800 taxed and tested Mondeo is equally deserving of a place in this thread. Why didn't you post it up at the time? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Wow lads, its a real A8 fest of late.......love em'

It's a lovely thought to be able to grab a bit of the olde boom madness in the form of these old luxobarges, and drive around chanting fcuk the IMF and yer 6.7%!! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Wow lads, its a real A8 fest of late.......love em'

It's a lovely thought to be able to grab a bit of the olde boom madness in the form of these old luxobarges, and drive around and chanting fcuk the IMF and yer 6.7%!! lol

Your a man after me own heart. I had a 07 one but got rid of it. I love luxobarges though...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

+1 on the mondeo.....where did you come across a mondeo with 45k on the clock for €800? As Unkel says - you should have posted it up here.
    Nice one !!

cadaliac wrote: »
    +1 on the mondeo.....where did you come across a mondeo with 45k on the clock for €800? As Unkel says - you should have posted it up here.
    Nice one !!

Donedeal! It is still a 14 year old car though, and an unloved Mk1 Mondeo. It is the oddball run off SLX spec with 15" ;) wheels, dual airbags, ABS, fog lights and other odd things.

I think if you plan on spending peanuts on a car you might as well get all the car you possibly can out of it. A 1996 Mondeo doesn't have cruise control, heated seats, dual climate cruise control............ Ignoring the numerous safety benefits, abs, four wheel drive, traction control....

A big repair on either and you can scrap the car anyway. The only issue here is tax. But 1k+ a year on a car that depreciated 100k in ten years isn't that bad when you consider it.

Nothing wrong with your method though.

The Mondeo is a viable option for a 21 year old (and my sister has it taxed and insured in her name for under €1000 all in) an A8 isn't. I got the timing belt done for small money, a trained monkey can service it, there isn't much to break in it. Biggest risk is the clutch going (which is a nasty job in that car, but we have another 1995 Mundaneo with 240k and still on the original clutch so touch wood).

When my Focus dies I'll probably overhaul my 190e 2.6 and put it on the road. I bought it 2 years ago on Adverts for €500.. It is a "post bangernomics" car which suffered some neglect in latter years after being owned for the first 10 or so by Sara McInerney.

I have it dry stored between a few bales of hay at the moment. There is nothing much wrong with it, and it starts first touch even when laid up for 6 months. I bought because I liked it and wanted to save it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,417 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

daRobot wrote: »

This one looks a good'un with Full Audi Service history.

I'd be interested in this, except that it's unfortunately a pre-facelift model.

It does seem very genuine. Surely value at anything near €2k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,381 ✭✭✭✭Esel

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Yeah, me too. I get wood in cars in general. I just hate those condoms.
    FYP. :D

Not your ornery onager

When my Focus dies I'll probably overhaul my 190e 2.6 and put it on the road. I bought it 2 years ago on Adverts for €500..
    Possibly a bit of OTD there? :D Just as well Muffler has retired from Adverts.... :eek:

On the subject of barges and bangernomics: my opinion is that barges don't qualify unless they have both enough NCT and tax. Especially tax, because if you have to tax a barge, it is not bangernomics anymore. It might still be the way to go - just not under the bangernomics banner.

Not your ornery onager

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1637297

can i really have 5 seats , leather, auto box, air con ,,and only paid 288 tax :D

seen loads of these on done deal lately,
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1641321 tax alone on my car is 1500 a year
    are they any good. merc diesel engine>?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,615 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

esel wrote: »
    On the subject of barges and bangernomics: my opinion is that barges don't qualify unless they have both enough NCT and tax. Especially tax

Agreed but not quite on those terms!

Tax (arrears) means nothing, the new owner only owes tax from when he buys it. NCT though means everything. I always assume that if a car does not have a current NCT, it has failed the NCT test. It is up to the seller to prove to me this is not the case :)

unkel wrote: »
    Agreed but not quite on those terms!

Tax (arrears) means nothing, the new owner only owes tax from when he buys it. NCT though means everything. I always assume that if a car does not have a current NCT, it has failed the NCT test. It is up to the seller to prove to me this is not the case :)
    My point on the tax was not about arrears. For a barge to qualify under bangernomics, it has to have enough current tax (and NCT, obviously) for it to be used, and then discarded when the tax expires. The day you tax a bangernomics-purchased barge, you leave bangernomics territory, imo. Obviously, you still might have a great car.....

Not your ornery onager

argosy2006 wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1637297

can i really have 5 seats , leather, auto box, air con ,,and only paid 288 tax :D
    Short answer - no.

Not your ornery onager

Possibly a bit of OTD there? :D Just as well Muffler has retired from Adverts.... :eek:

So long ago, cant remember... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

cantdecide wrote: »
    non leather seats and manual gearbox? (not to mention the probably faulty french electrics)

• Advertisement

My point on the tax was not about arrears. For a barge to qualify under bangernomics, it has to have enough current tax (and NCT, obviously) for it to be used, and then discarded when the tax expires. The day you tax a bangernomics-purchased barge, you leave bangernomics territory, imo. Obviously, you still might have a great car.....

I fail at bangernomics so, don't think I ever bought a car that didn't need tax immediately or at most a month later.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭davoxx

When my Focus dies I'll probably overhaul my 190e 2.6 and put it on the road. I bought it 2 years ago on Adverts for €500.. It is a "post bangernomics" car which suffered some neglect in latter years after being owned for the first 10 or so by Sara McInerney.

Seems like someone did a bit of off thread dealing there :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭hairyman

Max Power1 wrote: »
    non leather seats and manual gearbox? (not to mention the probably faulty french electrics)

Good looking car all the same,seller does not state whether its petrol or HDI.

In the rare chance that you could pick up a good gremlin free 607 HDI, then you are getting a lot of car for small money.

But its extremely rare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

It'll be a petrol yoke.

MidlandsM wrote: »
    It'll be a petrol yoke.

Then he can keep it,,:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1724995

View2-4646408.jpeg

Nct 4-12 Tax 4-11. 113k. Timing belt replaced 95k

€999

Lot car for the money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Lot car for the money

Also, a very solid car and it's RWD, too :) Guaranteed worth a bit of fun.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Marlow wrote: »
    Also, a very solid car and it's RWD, too :) Guaranteed worth a bit of fun.

/M
    Did I just see fun used as a word to describe a volvo?

lol this forum is gone to the dogs :P

93K:eek:
    That's delivery mileage on a well kept Volvo 2.3, heavy on the juice though.

Great find,lots of test and tax to boot,,:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Did I just see fun used as a word to describe a volvo?

lol this forum is gone to the dogs :P

Classic Volvo's (pre Ford) were always fun. Hardly undermotorized (if you see apart from the 340 and 440's). People that didn't drive them, just never realised it.

And up to the 850, which was the first FWD Volvo, they were all RWD.

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement