Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Arah I'd say test or no test that about the bones worth of a 95 white Carina

not in todays feverish market.....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭hairyman

MidlandsM wrote: »
    €500 bobs, nct & tax, Hard to BATE! ....drive her on........
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1734681

No mileage stated,,

Chances are that Captain Kirk's name will be on the log book, starship mileage and plenty of away missions.

Not a huge deal if it has good history though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

hairyman wrote: »
    Not a huge deal if it has good history though!

2 chances of that.....lol;)

MidlandsM wrote: »
    2 chances of that.....lol;)

Lol,
    Bet you there is a Captains log though,,;)

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1721242

I know I have something of a fetish for these, but if that's been looked after reasonably well, there are an awful lot of miles left in it.
    The tax isn't cheap, but the savings on mileage would make up for it if you were doing distance.

And it's a '98 - Late Reg for one of these. New model was already out.

Would have happily gone for this one if I hadn't bought the estate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I know I have something of a fetish for these, but if that's been looked after reasonably well, there are an awful lot of miles left in it.
    The tax isn't cheap, but the savings on mileage would make up for it if you were doing distance.

Much nicer seats in that then there was in mine! Looks like it could do with a good clean, nice wings on it.

Bombproof!!

These things can do mega mileage and average 35-40 MPG.

In my opinion it makes much more sense than an Audi A8 V6 as most mere mortals can have a go at splitting their knuckles under the bonnet of one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

Much nicer seats in that then there was in mine! Looks like it could do with a good clean, nice wings on it.

Aye mine has the cloth seats too, but after a good going over with the RugDoctor they've really come up beautifully. Highly recommend it. Cream seats, so I reckon an annual rugdoctoring will be required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,417 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Im surprised it has not sold tbh

mickdw wrote: »
    Im surprised it has not sold tbh

Me too!
    A Taxi drivers wet dream.

• Advertisement

Aye mine has the cloth seats too, but after a good going over with the RugDoctor they've really come up beautifully. Highly recommend it. Cream seats, so I reckon an annual rugdoctoring will be required.

Mine were just the standard seats recovered in leather! No cleaning required! Thank god I didn't have cream as one of the lads spilled a cup of coffee on them lol, just wiped away.

@hairyman, I'd say it's taximan selling up, 9 year rule and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

One for the slush !

media?id=8451084&width=400&height=300
    Full Leather Interior, 2 Years NCT

€1,900

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The w210 was out in 1995. This either sat for years in a yard before being registered or is an exotic import, maybe South African, the reg number would tally with an import.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

That volvo is over-priced by around a grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

alias no.9 wrote: »
    The w210 was out in 1995. This either sat for years in a yard before being registered or is an exotic import, maybe South African, the reg number would tally with an import.

I've investigated this before but didn't find any real answer as to where these late W124s came from. It's certainly not from South Africa though, they started W210 production in 1995 (in fact early many E-Classes sold in the UK are RSA-built examples, possibly here too). They were selling W124s in India between 1995 and 1997 (including the 250D, and RHD), not sure where they were being built though. Would be interesting to see the VIN on one of these...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,381 ✭✭✭✭Esel

RoverJames wrote: »
    I fail at bangernomics so, don't think I ever bought a car that didn't need tax immediately or at most a month later.
    I'm only referring to taxing a luxobarge, though....

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

Me too!

too old for a taxi under the new regs and too "expensive" to tax for everyone else?

Me too!
    maidhc wrote: »
    too old for a taxi under the new regs and too "expensive" to tax for everyone else?

Tax that for two years (1800) and that's about all it will cost ya! Drive a new Merc for two years... I'd say you could add a few 0's :P

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1736014

There's an E200 in there somewhere! I'd love something bangernomics again...

• Advertisement

Savage :)
    I had a 1992 one I think (might have been 93 not sure), sold it for €700 ish this time last year and she was rough as a bear's arse. That one for €1300 looks a bargain if she is sound, looks like tyres are needed soon though. that one's not a taxi either I suspect as it's NCT'd untill 04/2012, taxi's only get 12 months test. Weird the way the mileage is in kms though, 160K kms ????

RoverJames wrote: »
    Savage :)
    I had a 1992 one I think (might have been 93 not sure), sold it for €700 ish this time last year and she was rough as a bear's arse. That one for €1300 looks a bargain if she is sound, looks like tyres are needed soon though. that one's not a taxi either I suspect as it's NCT'd untill 04/2012, taxi's only get 12 months test. Weird the way the mileage is in kms though, 160K kms ????

Arabian (sp) import? They were kms, and sold for a lot longer. They had crazy high suspension though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Think I may have recently picked up one that qualifies for this thread:

99 Toyota Corolla XLI 1.3
    170k on the clock
    5 months NCT
    No Tax

Clean throughout bar a small ding on the boot lid.

€500 and I know it's been serviced properly for at least the last 5 years as it was a former work colleague who's into motors that I bought it from :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,615 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sleepy wrote: »
    Think I may have recently picked up one that qualifies for this thread:

1998 Toyota Corolla XLI 1.3

Yep that car and that engine are pretty much bullet proof. Keep it in the same condition and you'll sell it again for the same money in a year or two...

Well done :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

I picked up a very nice saloon 98 1.3 Corolla recently for my own use. 800 notes for 2 owners, Mr T history and 85k on the clock! Cannot go wrong. Love them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Bigus

homer90 wrote: »

Got one of these for the snow and put Winter Tyres on it ...much better crack than a Jeep. might get caught on ground clearance though if this snow doesn't stop . Winter tyre are the business amazing stopping grip on even sheet ice,:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Bigus

Arabian (sp) import? They were kms, and sold for a lot longer. They had crazy high suspension though...

She's riding high that 250 D alright small miles if backe up by history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

well, I think I'm going down the Bangernomic's route, and when i see cars on DoneDeal that would cost as much to go and look at, as own, I get lazy. It'd nearly want to be outside the window :rolleyes:.....so, taking my cue from an article in Motorcycle News last week, where the reporter, tired of scanning 100's of classified's, just picked up the phone and rang the local garage..........I did the same today.

And I took pics of two, but came across about....5 candidates.

1. 1994 Audi 100, 2.0. Need fuel pump. €200.
    137872.JPG

2. 1993 E200, runs, doesn't need anything - apparently - €500.
    137873.JPG

In any other circumstance, i'd go for either. But I'm not looking at anything over 1.1 for road tax reasons. I'm taking my 968 off the road as I simply cannot stomach handing out the bones of 1300 to that pack of thieving bastards, for, well, nothing.

Other things I came across in that garage:
    00 Golf 2.0
    01 (iirc) Laguna 1.6 (elec window issues..)
    ?? Fiat Stilo 1.6 16v. Now this - this I like - and if it was a 1.2 16V, this post would be moot - it'd be home by now. Has 2 issues: I the panoromic segmented all-glass roof was stuck.......open ! :p....cure: close manually, disconnect switch. Other than that I think it may have had EFI light on the dash. Either way - wouldn't have put me off. And it'd be a nice modern car. 5

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,417 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Where is that audi 100?

I would buy that just for the sake of it! Father used to have a 92 one of those when almost new and it was a lovely car at that time. HArd enough to find now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

I have the same attitude Galwaytt,

I got offered a Passat for free last week, petrol. I'm still waiting to see its condition

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement