Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,615 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

E39MSport wrote: »
    I picked up a very nice saloon 98 1.3 Corolla recently for my own use. 800 notes for 2 owners, Mr T history and 85k on the clock! Cannot go wrong. Love them.

Sure you cannot go wrong money wise. But love them, seriously? WTF? ;)

Someone who loves their Corolla more than their fridge / freezer must be a bit sick in the head, no? :pac:

galwaytt wrote: »
    well, I think I'm going down the Bangernomic's route, ............... just picked up the phone and rang the local garage........

I'd love to buy a really really cheap ole yoke again, but I really love the ZT and all the comfort combined with (imo) good looks. I'd miss her if I sold her and would find it hard to replace an 8 year old, NCTd for 24 months €2250 car with something as nice for peanuts.

Class post Mr TT too :) I love a wander around the back of dealers to see what delights they are hiding, the 520i I bought in April was tucked away off the forecourt, waiting for me to find her :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I agree entirely, unkel, mine was bought out of necessity. It's an A to B tool bought on a ruthless budget.

Still have a Rover 600 I'm tearing myself apart over. Maths says to get it through the NCT and sell it on but I really, really don't want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

unkel wrote: »
    Sure you cannot go wrong money wise. But love them, seriously? WTF? ;)

Someone who loves their Corolla more than their fridge / freezer must be a bit sick in the head, no? :pac:

.... checking for blood there ;)

I love them for what they are. It's under 6 inches of snow and has been for days. I bet I could out now and it will fire instantly even though I don't know the car. I love it for that. It's engineered and built like they all should be. I love my 8er, amazon and MGB for different reasons.

Know what you're saying though ! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Let me put another slant on this thread.

A lot of people are interested in the residual value and what possible tax implications they may have.

I'm probably going to lose my job some time before Christmas. :( I read this thread because, even though I will have no money, I will need to spend some of my heating/elecy money on a car so I will need a car for around €500. Hopefully I will only need it for 2-3 months until I can get a job with another company car/van or something.

I'd probably end up buying a Rover 200/400, 98 Laguna or something as similarily crap on donedeal.

Im not concerned too much about the year. Does it have a NCT until at least may? Does it have cheap tax and fairly decent tyres?

Its a Laguna. FVCK, but it doesnt have to last forever. It could rot in my driveway when I get back on my feet for all I care or the missus to learn to drive in.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1665553

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Berty wrote: »
    Im not concerned too much about the year. Does it have a NCT until at least may? Does it have cheap tax and fairly decent tyres?
    Sorry to hear that Berty, I've taken one car that would have suited you off the market myself. Found it in a garage that also sells a few cars on the side, saved it from the scrapper. Even with things as they are some perfectly good (for 6 months ;)) cars are going to the crusher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Its a Laguna. FVCK, but it doesnt have to last forever. It could rot in my driveway when I get back on my feet for all I care or the missus to learn to drive in.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1665553

Actually, that one looks pretty good, and the 2yr test is a ++

Forgot to add: that garage I was in had a 96 Cinq Sport as well for...€550 iirc. Just had new t/belt, alt, water pump, pads, exhaust (cool, centre-pipe one !)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

@ Berty, that sucks man, hope you get a new gig soon.
    @Galway, there's A PUG 106 in galway for €370 lids, no nct but look decent shape on DD....might be worth a punt, put €200 into it in bit, lash it thru the nct, and she could be ok, or it could be a bag of shyte, but hey,its local enough ...
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1725343

Those Lagunas were quite decent.

RoverJames wrote: »

My dad had a 98 Megane and it was pretty decent. I still argue it was better than the one he bought in 2004. The Laguna was always a better car. I had a 2004 Laguna and it broke my heart but I know that if I was treating it as a "stop gap" then it would have been fine.

There is another Laguna in Limerick with NCT for €400 but it doesnt appear to be as good value.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1618442

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

My dad had a 98 Megane and it was pretty decent. I still argue it was better than the one he bought in 2004. The Laguna was always a better car. I had a 2004 Laguna and it broke my heart but I know that if I was treating it as a "stop gap" then it would have been fine.

There is another Laguna in Limerick with NCT for €400 but it doesnt appear to be as good value.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1618442

I would prefer an Avensis or a VW myself over a Renault. Sorry to hear about the job Berty..:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

On the Laguna theme:

Full?id=4674932

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1698913

Its a 98, 2.0, HAS Air Con!, probably no NCT, €300

I wonder if its the 8V or 16V engine (115 / 140 bhp)

I saw that one alright. Its the surrounding "area" that puts me off. What the hell is that on the passenger floor anyway?

I wouldn't touch that with a barge pole. Honestly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

What the hell is that on the passenger floor anyway?

They are the alloy wheel centres, which is held in place with a small screw.

Mmmmm, I wonder did it go for an NCT (as you must show the wheel nuts) and failed? I wonder what the fail report said.

Edit, must have failed NCT as the passenger seatbelt is buckled up too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

+1

Very underrated car those, had a diesel one as a courtesy for a week once and I was sorry handing it back even though I was getting back into a car 8 years newer:pac:

If I was youi Berty I'd be buying something as sound as possible with minimum 6 months NCT on it to get you over the next few months without putting more cash into it. Anything without a test could prove to be expensive to get oast one and hard to get rid of without, ie costly.

Fingers crossed you pick up a new job shortly too.

If I was youi Berty I'd be buying something as sound as possible with minimum 6 months NCT on it to get you over the next few months without putting more cash into it. Anything without a test could prove to be expensive to get oast one and hard to get rid of without, ie costly.

The thing is. I have already lost a job this year which was unexpected so this time Im mentally prepared so Im not frightened. I think the Laguna would be a good pick if it drives well and I can get it for €500 smackers.(The blue one).

I did see a Rover 400 for Sale on here. Was it Wexford/Waterford. €800 quid, 2000 reg and looked top quality.

I did see a Rover 400 for Sale on here. Was it Wexford/Waterford. €800 quid, 2000 reg and looked top quality.

Wouldn't really be any lighter on juice than the Laguna, if the HG situation is fine and the gearbox doesn't whine I wouldn't put you off a 00 400/45.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1552206

Damaged bumper, yada yada yada... €400 should bring it home :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

mullingar wrote: »
    On the Laguna theme:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1698913

Its a 98, 2.0, HAS Air Con!, probably no NCT, €300

I wonder if its the 8V or 16V engine (115 / 140 bhp)

Does the caravan come with it too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

-Corkie- wrote: »
    I would prefer an Avensis or anything but a VW myself over a Renault. Sorry to hear about the job Berty..:mad:
    FYP:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

+1
    There are cars out there with 2 years NCT for the same price as cars with 6 months NCT.
    I bought a 00 mazda 626 2.0 petrol a few months back. I took a gamble (it had no NCT) but I was fairly confident it would pass regardless, and it did.
    Now I have a motor on the road that cost me €850 to purchase and 2 years NCT. Usual costs apply of course (tax, ins and fuel) but the tyres were ok and the belt was done 6k miles before i got my mits on it.
    It was cheap because Irish people would rather give up their first born rather than pay tax for a 2.0 ltr car.
    The deals are there alright but you kinda have to know what you want and you kinda have to know what outlay you will have to make after the purchase.
    The cheaper the car the worse that situation could become. I think Berty has a fairly good idea about cars and should be ok, once he has a test drive etc.
    Anyway - @ Berty, best of luck on the job front dude.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1552206

Damaged bumper, yada yada yada... €400 should bring it home :)
    wing ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

wing ;)

Infairness, I could of said roof, because the whole body is probably in ****e, lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭andr3w103

^ christ lads we really are drifting into Bangernomics with that!!!

Someone restore normality.:D
    I really want that now...purely because of all the comments...it would be halarious to drive around in :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭hairyman

johnos1984 wrote: »

Lovely, lovely, lovely.
    Almost forgot these things even existed, V6 is a peach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭feelites

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭alias no.9

feelites wrote: »

It is, it needs a new ECU.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement