Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Bit of fun for €700 and tested for 6 months, no tax or miles though.. http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1785749

There won't be much fun in a MkIII 8v GTi, which is only surpassed in the Worst GTi Ever stakes by the MkIV 8v GTi, which had the same miserable 115bhp and an extra 200kg of lard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Larr Sea Star

Fair point, had a MKII 16v Golf Gti which was alot of fun..

alias no.9 wrote: »
    There won't be much fun in a MkIII 8v GTi, which is only surpassed in the Worst GTi Ever stakes by the MkIV 8v GTi, which had the same miserable 115bhp and an extra 200kg of lard.

Don't the Mk 3 8v lads blow on about the torque or something as an advantage over the 16v ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

anyone see the article in the Indo (page 32/33) about buying a banger? im sure that was run before - anyone seen it before?
    He ends up buying a 3 series touring from a mate in the end

neacy69 wrote: »
    anyone see the article in the Indo (page 32/33) about buying a banger? im sure that was run before - anyone seen it before?
    He ends up buying a 3 series touring from a mate in the end

Can you scan it in ? I was in the previous article :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Was it not a white 5 series est... Oh wait! That's you James :L

Yep, that was my one
    http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/smart-consumer/smart-consumer-looking-for-a-smart-car-an-older-model-makes-real-cents-2232483.html

John has since mentioned on here that he bought an E30 touring I think :)

State-a-ya!

State-a-ya!

Sun was in my eyes :pac: Since I sold that BMW it's been sold again to a boardsie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

RoverJames wrote: »
    Can you scan it in ? I was in the previous article :pac:

looks like it was 2 different article....

todays:
    http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/smart-consumer/smart-consumer-how-you-can-bag-a-bargain-when-buying-a-banger-2485670.html

• Advertisement

I take it back, that lad looks worse :L

I take it back, that lad looks worse :L

That's the chao who wrote the article I linked to. He's a member on here too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Something slightly different. Always kind of liked these...for some reason. Anyone ever owned one?? Ive heard the auto box in these reduces the performance of the car considerably. Something like a 2 second difference to 60.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mitsubishi/FTO/**IMMACU/201049200489911/advert?channel=CARS

Would ya?

Just noticed the nct is due!

The brothers friend had one in auto and he said the auto was horrible to drive. He sold that about a year ago and bought another one (cheap) recently. Something is wrong with the engine and they can't diagnose it, apparently they're full of sensors! (Straight from the horses mouth)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

The brothers friend had one in auto and he said the auto was horrible to drive. He sold that about a year ago and bought another one (cheap) recently. Something is wrong with the engine and they can't diagnose it, apparently they're full of sensors! (Straight from the horses mouth)

Am i wrong or aren't they actually a little v6? The 2.0 litre that is. They're going for buttons.

Would ya?

Just noticed the nct is due!

Loads of different ones, GP, GR, GPX, MiVec etc, I drove an auto tiptronic MiVec years ago as a friend was thinking of buying it, decent yoke to go in fairness. One of the best handling FWD cars ever, up there with MGs even :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The brothers friend had one in auto and he said the auto was horrible to drive.

Bah, he probably likes the feeling of having a stick in his hand :rolleyes: Heard lots of good things about the auto FTOs. The gf just inherited an auto Corsa though, let's see how that goes first :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Loads of different ones, GP, GR, GPX, MiVec etc, I drove an auto tiptronic MiVec years ago as a friend was thinking of buying it, decent yoke to go in fairness. One of the best handling FWD cars ever, up there with MGs even :pac:

The GPX is the Mivec one from 94-97. From 97 onwards the Mivecs were GPVR.

GX & GR are the 2.0 V6s and the tiptronic/auto does make a big difference.

Mine was a manual GPX and it was some car to go if you wanted it to.

You can get a manual GPX for not much more than that one though, and they're the version to go for (in my opinion)

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1770244

1999 Rover 75 2.0 D Club, Saloon, Silver, Diesel, Manual, 4 Door, 162,715 miles, NCT'd 6/11,Alloys, Air Conditioning, Climate control, Heated seats, Traction Control,Electric rear sunvisor.

Looking for €1000
    Highish miles ...
    Cheap comfortable motoring?
    Any serious downsides?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Its manual, clutch is expensive to change and at that mileage injectors and MAF are going to become suspect.

Turbo should be fine.

Goood bus if its in good shape.

Although I wonder if its imported and had mileage correction, the wear on the steering wheel is bad and usually they last well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Yep, that was my one
    http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/smart-consumer/smart-consumer-looking-for-a-smart-car-an-older-model-makes-real-cents-2232483.html

John has since mentioned on here that he bought an E30 touring I think :)

I thought you were a young lad, you look older than my aul lad!

johnos1984 wrote: »

Although I wonder if its imported and had mileage correction, the wear on the steering wheel is bad and usually they last well

Doubt it when there's 160odd on it, also I've seen a good few of those coloured wheels wearing / discolouring like that.

If the car is sound you'd do a lot worse for a grand.

If the breather filter has been neglected the turbo may well be half on the road to death too.

Doubt it when there's 160odd on it, also I've seen a good few of those coloured wheels wearing / discolouring like that.

Apolgies I didn't mean clocked now but when it came in (if it did) when it was 3/5 years old.

As James says check the breather hose and yes the the steering wheel does wear but I don't think it does to that degree.

Having said that for a grand if it looks straight enough you could do a lot worse. I'd still push for getting it below the asking price

Onkle wrote: »
    I thought you were a young lad, you look older than my aul lad!

Mammies love me :pac:

I was very disappointed with that picture though, ah well, I'll be in the papers again !!

Mammies love me :pac:

Sickening

Do they try and dress you up in a cardigan, beige trousers and slippers too :D

johnos1984 wrote: »
    Sickening

Do they try and dress you up in a cardigan, beige trousers and slippers too :D

We're not on about the same type of mammies ;)

We're not on about the same type of mammies ;)

Which type then?

James Type A:

eoin-mclove.jpg

James Type B (Mammy):

chav-pregnant-lovely.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

not bad for €600 if it passes the NCT without too much bother.

it's even got a towbar. :)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1786752

View2-4876096.jpeg
    2000 MAZDA 626 2.0 GLX, 156K, Green, E/W/M, E/SR, The car has 4 good tyres. This a is a top of the range model with - air con and digital auto climate control - central locking and key fob - immob - multiple airbags

(T/belt last done @ 116K)

The car does not currently have an NCT but does not need anything for the test. I am emigrating next week and need it gone.

The car is located close to Millstreet town, Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,383 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ I'm thinking a back-up car for RJ? :D

Not your ornery onager

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement