Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clampers Barons Hall, Balbriggan

Options
  • 21-01-2009 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭

Just wondering if any of the residents in barons hall use the clamping service available?

I have been having awful trouble with people parking in my designated space on an almost daily basis.

So this week things came to a head on sunday when there was no visitor parking available in the whole area so i rang the clampers to get car clamped(after checking with neighbours that it wasnt theirs etc).
    Turns out car clamped was neighbours friend who he was out with for the day and I felt really bad but its been said again and again and again that these are our spaces.

Just got back from work there at half 9 and theres another car parked there. Tried to contact all neighbours again though some didnt answer, ones that did car didnt belong to them.

So again got the car clamped as I have had to park up beside dunnes due to this.

I have such a pain with people not using designated spaces and taking other peoples. Whenever my friends come out they always park in visitors spaces or at dunnes.

I feel so guilty about getting car clamped but I'm trying to send out a warning that i am fed up of asking people politely all the time-what would you do in situation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Personally I'd do the same. You are well within your rights to call the clampers in that situation, you live there. You shouldn't have to park up at the shopping centre because someone who doesn't live there has taken your space.

Anyone who tells you otherwise obviously doesn't have to deal with that kind of thing on a regular basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

Thanks chinafoot-was hopinfg someone else could let me know i wasnt being a wagon!

Just getting so frustrated at this happening so much.

My neighbour just told my bf that we are going to cause war if we ring clampers on people and i'm so nervous now of someone putting brick through window or worse.

To top it all off last july someone parked in our space(was neighbours friend but didnt know that at time cos we had so many issues over parking our neighbour knew not to park there).
    We rang clampers and they gave bf permission to park outside our door for night until someone came to clamp-no one showed up to clamp and at half 12 our neighbour knocked in to say "guests have gone your space is free now" which we were pretty annoyed at considering he knew it was our space.
    We had been drinking that night so didnt move the car around as were drunk and given permission to park there.

Turns out it was one night of year where some scumbag decides to do a hit and run on our parked car and left it with over €5000 worth of damage, which as no one got reg of car affected my bf's policy greatly to tune of €1000 extra a year which is quite difficult for us to pay-and its all down to someone parking in our space to begin with so we are not letting anyone away with it anymore...:mad:

Sorry for rant just getting annoyed thinking bout this...

suzieb wrote: »

My neighbour just told my bf that we are going to cause war if we ring clampers on people

Sod that. They don't have any right to park there, you do. I hate that 'don't rock the boat attitude'. You're dead right in calling the clampers.

To top it all off last july someone parked in our space(was neighbours friend but didnt know that at time cos we had so many issues over parking our neighbour knew not to park there).
    We rang clampers and they gave bf permission to park outside our door for night until someone came to clamp-no one showed up to clamp and at half 12 our neighbour knocked in to say "guests have gone your space is free now" which we were pretty annoyed at considering he knew it was our space.
    We had been drinking that night so didnt move the car around as were drunk and given permission to park there.

Cheeky bastards. That is such bad form.
    Turns out it was one night of year where some scumbag decides to do a hit and run on our parked car and left it with over €5000 worth of damage, which as no one got reg of car affected my bf's policy greatly to tune of €1000 extra a year which is quite difficult for us to pay-and its all down to someone parking in our space to begin with so we are not letting anyone away with it anymore...:mad:

Sorry for rant just getting annoyed thinking bout this...

Clampers all the way suzie. That's such bull that you have to pay so much extra because of that. I would have read my neighbour the riot act after that. Do you have a management company or residents association you could contact about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Baron's Hall? Now where would that be?

I suspect it must be in Balbriggan. It seems that Balbriggan is the 'default' setting on this forum. :D

:) There's just so many of us!

I'll edit the thread title now.

• Advertisement

We've never said anything to our neighbour about it ,as in we nver blamed them because we have to live beside them and apart from parking issue they are good neighbours but my dad went ballistic and said we should have gone nuts at them about it but its us that has to live here, but from here on i just could not care less about anyone thats doing this stuff cos its driving us bonkers.

We tried to take the issue up with the clampers at the time as they said someone will be out in an hour or so but they never came which to me showed that A: they didnt honour their contract B: We couldnt park in our spot and C: we are now responsible for high insurance as they didnt do their job in clamping their car and if our car was in spot that it should have been in it would not have been hit. But they started spouting all legal stuff so I just left it at that but to me they are partly to blame? :confused:

We are currently in process of changing mgmt company as they are so useless at sorting problems so we'l deal with it on our own and with clampers,i suppose thats only thing we can do.

But i know there must be so many more residents with the same issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Chinafoot wrote: »
    Do you have a management company or residents association you could contact about this?

Yes, sorry no, sorry I meant yes.
    There is a management agent, who you never hear from. Once a year they send a bill, two week slater they send snotty letters because they haven't been paid. Every few months they send around a "news letter", full of crap; last time they sent the newsletter they forgot to change some of the street name so it would appear the same newsletter also goes to Chieftons Way (and most likely every other estate they claim to manage.

I've had similiar problems with parking in Barrons Hall, it appears to be mainly the apartments causing the problems as their parking is may a minutes walk from the apartment.

Any dealings I've had with them they are absolutely useless.
    Suzieb I hadn't heard that the management company (ie the estate) was in the process of trying to get rid of the management agent (SPM) (admittedly I missed the last AGM on account of work), what is the story with that?
    I was gonna ask at the next AGM what the process is for putting out the management contract to tender.

If you are living in a house AFAIK you actually own the parking space (check your deeds) since it is private property the clampers may not be able to clamp a car parked there, suppose if you put a warning up on the space you could operate your own clamping regime, tempting but you could really pi$$ someone off and regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Never heard of a clampers service?? This with neveille management co? Im up in Brackenwood same problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭liverbird

You see this is why barons hall is in a mess, the last AGM 20 people turned up.

The directors did change to another management company from SPM but SPM called an EGM ( Can they even do this ?) stating some of the residents were unaware of the changeover.

SPM are having this meeting on the 10th feb in the bracken court, it would help if everyone can turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Wer contesting the charges so arent allowed to vote in agms or dont receive newsletters etc-never did!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 brendem

Well my car was clamped a few weeks back. For the past 4 years I parked my car at the back of my house in a space that was not mine. There were always spaces around us that were not used so I figured it was ok. My wife uses our first space and our second space is outside the next door neighbours back gate. I didn't want to park there because there is no footpath and I didn't want to block access to her gate. Anyway when I got clamped, nobody knoked on my door or even left a note on the car saying not to park there. That would have been the neighbourly thing to do, but instead they just called the clampers. They were perfectly within their rights to call the clampers, but there were plenty of other spaces available and they didn't even try to ask me to move. 120 euro release fee is a pain in the ass as well as having crap neighbours........

It's not always easy to know who own's what car though and SPM royally f*cked up by putting down the site numbers instead of house numbers.

It'll be interesting tomorrow night.

brendem wrote: »
    120 euro release fee is a pain in the ass as well as having crap neighbours........

With all due respect, I'd consider those who park in other people's spaces to be the crap neighbours. Nobody should have to tell you not to park there or leave a note for you. It's not your spaceso you don't park there unless you get permission from whoever does own the space. I'd have called the clampers too.

Brendem why should they ask you to move? You shouldnt be parked in someone elses Designated space anyway.
    Especially knowingly as you have been doing it for so long.

And just because there is plenty of other free spaces why should someone who has a designated space, that you have taken without permission, use someone elses designated space?

None of your points are valid and it will teach you to park in someone elses space next time.

On another note this so called EGM with smiths tomorrow night has not been advertised to residents of Barons Hall. I am on a mailing list which some residents send on info etc from Smiths and I havnt received anything in weeks and the time and date of this EGM has never been confirmed :confused:

So how can people expect change when most of the residents are not notified? Is that not the whole point of this EGM being called by Smiths as residents complained that they knew nothing about the changeover?

I intend to go to EGM tomorrow but it would help if I knew what time it was at so i'm not hanging around hotel all evening!

suzie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 brendem

Lads and Lasses,
    As I said, I freely admit that I was in the wrong, but it is vrey poor form to call the clampers if a "neighbour" is in your spot for the first time and you don't try to contatct them to move. Like I said, I had been parking there for 4 years and nobody asked me to move. I would have had no problem in doing so and was actually being a good neighbour by allowing the person next door access their spot easily. If I had persisted in parking in the spot, knowing that someone else wanted to use it, then that would be bad form from me. I find your attitudes typical of the lack of neighbourhood spirit. Good Luck.

brendem wrote: »
    I find your attitudes typical of the lack of neighbourhood spirit.

Well personally I think "neighbourhood spirit" involves staying out of neighbours designated spaces and parking in your own instead. The fact that you were parking there in order to be nice to someone else is irrelevant and any neighbourly points you think you earned there are completely negated by parking in someone elses spot. They obviously have a problem with it, you got clamped. And if you do it again, I hope you get clamped again. It's selfishness like that that leads to bad atmospheres in neighbourhoods.

Hope the meeting sees some sort of movement guys. Can't be a fun situation.

So how can people expect change when most of the residents are not notified? Is that not the whole point of this EGM being called by Smiths as residents complained that they knew nothing about the changeover?

I intend to go to EGM tomorrow but it would help if I knew what time it was at so i'm not hanging around hotel all evening!

suzie

It's on at 7:30 or 8:00 sorry can't remember the exact time, I got a notice but maybe because we'd already paid SPM, having not being informed of any changes going on.
    IIRC the notice came out around the start of January (enough time for people to forget about it!!).

Interesting my sis in law got a call from SPM earlier to ask if she was coming to the meeting, she hasn't lived in BH for nearly two years:confused:

Advertisement