Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Movie Stills Advice Please!

• 21-01-2009 11:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, im hoping one or two of you may have a few pointers or ideas for me.

I started working tonight on the set of a short film, with quite a major scottish actor in the lead role (so i dont want to **** it up!).

Anyway, tonight was a kind of settling in period, giving me an idea of when and where i can shoot from, when im getting in peoples way when i can use flash etc etc.

The shots i got seem pretty good (unfortunately im not allowed post them right now) all things considered, but i know they could be better.

i struggled a little with the clash of lighting, shadows, not to mention the mass of people involved, not to mention the fact i really didnt want to annoy the HUGE soundman! :eek:

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any tips as to how to handle the next 4 days?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I was on a tv prduction set and was talking to their stills guy. He was using a blimp for his camera (basically a specifically made sound proof box with different attachments for different lenses for the soundproof box...he was shooint with a 70-200 2.8 L lens). They cost a fair whack too but it totally kills the sound of the camera so not to distract anyone.

Try get the shots on the rehearsals when they aren't actually rolling and seeing how things are looking before they are filming. Just after the scene is shot too if you can before everyone relaxes, or during loud parts (if any). If you've got a long enough lens get further back from the action and try to anticipate your shots and see where people are likely to be moving from/to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

pete4130 wrote: »
    I was on a tv prduction set and was talking to their stills guy. He was using a blimp for his camera (basically a specifically made sound proof box with different attachments for different lenses for the soundproof box...he was shooint with a 70-200 2.8 L lens). They cost a fair whack too but it totally kills the sound of the camera so not to distract anyone.

Try get the shots on the rehearsals when they aren't actually rolling and seeing how things are looking before they are filming. Just after the scene is shot too if you can before everyone relaxes, or during loud parts (if any). If you've got a long enough lens get further back from the action and try to anticipate your shots and see where people are likely to be moving from/to.

Cheers, i think i might pass on the blimp right now! :D

Yeah, i've been shooting on the rehearsals, unfortunately its a really pokey flat thats being used for the set so it can be quite awkward and intimidating.
    Hopefully tomorrow will open my eyes a little more.

Once your getting ok shutter speeds you should be fine. bring your fastest glass and if it's all lit indoors, as what aperture and shutter speeds the cameras are using so you can try to match them to get the same exposure as they are shooting with. You can also ask them what colour temperature (in Kelvin) their lighting is at, so you should hopefully be able to match it perfectly on camera or later on in photoshop/postprocessing so your white balance is the same as theirs.

You could always bring a HUGE towel or something and wrap it around your camera to try subdue any shutter noise?

Thanks again, I never thought of trying to match up with the cameras...makes sense but i overlooked it.
    it would be good to get the same "look" that they are getting.

As for the sound thing, im happy to stick to shooting during rehearsals TBH, thats tricky enough with the steadycam guy barging all over the place without doing it when rolling! :eek:

I hope you get some good shots. I know its a tough thing to do, especially as its in a tight space....nobody cares for the stills person!

• Advertisement

There is some acting going on in there somewhere.....! :D

3217923120_7956637356.jpg

Advertisement