Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

09 AUDI A4

• 21-01-2009 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭

Just passed by the local halting site there and a young lady traveller beside us pulled in in a 09 AUDI A4 this is up by Kilbarry

How can somebody afford something like that with no income?

The world is a strange place!

This thread will probably be cut but i cant help but be annoyed seeing the amount of tax payers money being spent on Gardai etc etc (overtime was quoted at 500,000 euro in Waterford) and then they have free bins etc etc and we have to pay and then i see that how do you buy a car like with no income?????

Its not on!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭LittleBear

How do you know she has no income? Just because shes a traveller doesn't mean she cant work?

Maybe she wants to live in a Caravan, and spends her money on a nice car?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭steven22

travellers are very good at making money ...

either by labouring, buying stuff and selling it on for profit like horses, cars, property etc. Also by knocking at doors selling furniture.

also alot of travellers have been left land by relationd that have died off. This is not a case of drugdealing as travellers, well most of them hate drugs.

Can you define no income? As regards social welfare payments to travellers, many recieve social welfare payments for attending traveller specific courses run throughout the city i.e the subla centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Multivan

Yeah this is all true but it just didnt look right!

But as the other poster stated she could have worked for it and i dont want to have a go at travellers.

just couldnt belive my eyes when i saw it pulling into the muck holes in the ground etc etc

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Travellers are known to be hard workers. They make money but prefer to live in those type of conditions (within reason) unlike others who like big houses. However, saying that, there are also other type of travellers which go for big houses etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Well OP you should see what some travellers are driving around in down by Rathkeale. I saw a 07 BMW 335i no less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Sully wrote: »
    Travellers are known to be hard workers.

Come off it! Sweeping statement much?
    Why does everyone here have so much respect for travellers?

This is the internet ffs, must we be required to praise:D and commend:D the noble traveller even here?

*edit, had to cut the sh1t outta that post there after reading the charter. Un-fu(kin-touchable, they are makin fools of everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hellfireie

maybe she went to her local credit union ..............................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Sully wrote: »
    Travellers are known to be hard workers. They make money but prefer to live in those type of conditions (within reason) unlike others who like big houses. However, saying that, there are also other type of travellers which go for big houses etc.

Generalisations about travellers is not allowed......
    I know a few travellers some are hard working and some are lazy... just like the rest of the population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Bloody students how can they afford to buy a 09 AUDI A4 and Complain about the introduction of Fees?

Oh, Wrong Thread :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

While I loathe sweeping generalisations and stereotyping...

But the pharse that "Travellers are known to be hard workers" had me splitting my sides..

I do not know one Traveller in gainful employment. Now maybe all the lazy ones are living in my town:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

But the pharse that "Travellers are known to be hard workers" had me splitting my sides..

I do not know one Traveller in gainful employment. Now maybe all the lazy ones are living in my town:confused:

not all of them, plenty down this direction too.
    unless they get grants or something to stand around with those ponies all day

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭steven22

well they are good at making money as proven by the 09 audi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I believe that alot of the cars and vans are bought through Hire Purchase Agreements or in England. So they dont ever really own them.

Thats surprises me as I am sure you wld need bank accounts etc to have a Hire Purchase Agreement in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

regardless of where they got the money from, if they are hard workers etc. I think the more important question would be if they pay tax on the money that they have acquired?
    Also one of the things I do find strange about the situation is that, generally, say one was living in a not so well to do area and you got such a car, also you were not obviously in a good job, the truth of the matter is you would be investigated by the Guards or the criminal assets bureau to see if the money was acquired legally.I know one or two characters that this has happened to over the years, however I have never heard of it happening to a traveller.So I think its worth while to point out that in cases like this its usually members of the settled community that are the ones investigated while the travelling community seem to be able to but new vehicles every year with out any state body investigating where the funds come from and if they are paying tax on the work that they are doing to facilitate such purchases.If they wish to be treated the same as every one else and receive welfare payments or whatever, then they should contribute tax, the same as every one else.(I know that they're are people in the settled community that do similar things, however its far more common to get arrested or fined for not paying taxes if you are in said community, and I am not saying that all travellers are like this, but it just appears to an outsider that some are and seem to get away with it)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

robtri wrote: »
    Generalisations about travellers is not allowed......
    I know a few travellers some are hard working and some are lazy... just like the rest of the population.

If there was an award for sarcasm id give it to you. Add "some" in front then if it keeps you happy. :)

I do. I know of very few who hold down a specific job in a local shop or whatever but they are usually self employed doing driveways, buying and selling, labour, carpets etc. They make a fair bit of money this way, despite living in poor conditions. I recall one family in particular who ran a bin service.

So yes, while you may see them in a different light and the news portrays them all as something else there are actually some fairly decent travellers who are hard working. Iv met plenty. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Yeah they work fairly hard alright, at swindling honest people out of their hard earned money. I'm making this assumption on any members of the travelling community both I and my family have ever dealt with. Lot of bad experiences so i dont care about saying it. they are untouchable. end of

Asmodean wrote: »
    Yeah they work fairly hard alright, at swindling honest people out of their hard earned money. I'm making this assumption on any members of the travelling community both I and my family have ever dealt with. Lot of bad experiences so i dont care about saying it. they are untouchable. end of

One of the biggest surfacing companies in the south east has traveller backgrounds. Clearly their clients don't have a problem with them. :)

There are plenty of them who do a god awful job so you gotta be careful. Just like any tradesman I guess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

When i was home over christmas there i saw some local kids teasing the horses on the haulting site. I was very upset by this, but the travellers didnt seem to mind.

I guess when travellers see a horses leg being pulled they can hack it. I cant however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

its as simple as rent a car man belive in it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

calafornia party haha

• Advertisement

When i was home over christmas there i saw some local kids teasing the horses on the haulting site. I was very upset by this, but the travellers didnt seem to mind.

I guess when travellers see a horses leg being pulled they can hack it. I cant however.

Give it a rest will you Brendan. If you have nothing useful to contribute to the forum then don't bother contributing at all.

Stick to the topic please folks and lets not swing this into another debate against travellers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Multivan wrote: »
    How can somebody afford something like that with no income?

*sigh*

Multivan said it, so it must be true.

How much is a 09 Audi A4

Why do we all dance around the maypoll and try to bend over backwards being politically correct!

Everytime i pass the halting site it has bins and waste dumped at the side of the road do they pay for bins? no

Do they pay rent on the halting site? doubt it

do they pay rent on the land the horses are on?

They get everything handed to them and i doubt this lady works as i know her to see,

Do they pay tax as somebody says earlier, then they pull in in this Audi A4 09, the kids in the area hardly have a stitch of clothes on them its not right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

How do you know its a traveller that was driving the car?

People from every goverment department along with city officials visit the site from time to time, why assume its a traveller?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

How do you know its a traveller that was driving the car?

People from every goverment department along with city officials visit the site from time to time, why assume its a traveller?

tow bar? :D

Please stick to the topic at hand rather then turning it into something completely different. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

thay have an 08 passat aswell. maybe there doing odd jobs for tom murphy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭flan59

Insider info tells me that they bought a new Audi from Tom Murphy and paid cash, it think it was G reg. they were deffo travellers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭X-Calibre

Alot of traveller families are known to be extremely rich for various reasons (property etc). I have some cousins from longford who've told me stories about some of the families they know. One of the stories involving them inheriting land with a massive house, only to live in caravans out the back and keep the horses in the house..

• Advertisement

Just to answer some poster who said maybe it was someone from the city visiting it wasnt i know this person to see and its hers alright

Advertisement