Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

09 AUDI A4

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I've been watching this thread a while now, and, in fairness the pro-traveller bias is very noticeable. The minute a negative comment is made it's classed as a generalisation.:rolleyes:

A couple of queries:

1. Sully lauds the travellers for their honest, hard-working work in resurfacing. Are these registered companies Sully? For Tax, PRSI, VAT? Do they have a C2. Do they have a safety statement/ Do they deploy the releveant H & S at their (work) sites?

2. Today I passed by the Lacken Road and Willimastown Halting sites. The amount of rubbish dumped adjacent to the Williamstown site has to be seen to be believed. No doubt it was someone other then the travellers who dumped it there.:rolleyes:

3. Lastly, why is it that every time a mere observation is passed on traveller activities, that the PC brigade jump on it?

Finally, the two lads on the front of the News & Star openly admitted to travellers being involved in that feud and all that went with it.

News and Star report

I wonder will any prosecutions arise?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Multivan

Freddie59 wrote: »
    I've been watching this thread a while now, and, in fairness the pro-traveller bias is very noticeable. The minute a negative comment is made it's classed as a generalisation.:rolleyes:

A couple of queries:

1. Sully lauds the travellers for their honest, hard-working work in resurfacing. Are these registered companies Sully? For Tax, PRSI, VAT? Do they have a C2. Do they have a safety statement/ Do they deploy the releveant H & S at their (work) sites?

2. Today I passed by the Lacken Road and Willimastown Halting sites. The amount of rubbish dumped adjacent to the Williamstown site has to be seen to be believed. No doubt it was someone other then the travellers who dumped it there.:rolleyes:

3. Lastly, why is it that every time a mere observation is passed on traveller activities, that the PC brigade jump on it?

Finally, the two lads on the front of the News & Star openly admitted to travellers being involved in that feud and all that went with it.

News and Star report

I tell you one thing! Since i complained about the dumping there, basicaly i took a picture and emailed it to john gormley and told him that these areas were dumping black spots that ironicly were less than 100 metres away from the Waterford Crystal visitors Centre i also had a chance meeting with counsillor Tom Murphy and i told him that i had sent this email and that i was extremely angry with it a couple of days later it was gone!

I urge anybody who is angered by this dumping to take a video camera and post it on youtube, that will be my next step or email pics to john gormley minister for the environment at minister@environ.ie

Dont just complain about something if your not willing to do something about it, that power lies with the people we just have to exercise it!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Freddie59 wrote: »

A couple of queries:

News and Star report

I know your feelings on travellers and I know you don't like ANYBODY saying anything good about them so forgive me but I am not going to respond as it would be like talking to a wall and just increase your frustration with me more. :)

I ask one more time people - lets stick to the OPs topic. If you want to have a fair, clean and honest rant about how they may not be obtaining the car in a fair way then by all means fire away. But please, don't drag it into something completely different and ruin another thread. Last warning lads. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

It's like this, the travelling community and the settled community are the same, both have their arseholes but both have their good folk aswell. There's a story from years ago about a traveller going into a main Toyota dealer in the south east looking to buy two or three new Hiace vans but he was snubbed by the salesman. About a week or so later, the same traveller bought three span new vans from a dealer in Wexford instead. I'd imagine the original salesmans boss wasn't best pleased ...

Sully wrote: »
    I know your feelings on travellers and I know you don't like ANYBODY saying anything good about them so forgive me but I am not going to respond as it would be like talking to a wall and just increase your frustration with me more. :).

Sully butty, the only one frustrated appears to be you. Another sweeping generalisation above. "You don't like ANYBODY saying anything good about them". Now, forgive me if I'm wrong, but can you back this up with facts?;)

Secondly, I raised several issues above, which you conveniently ignore, because it doesn't fit into your pigeon-holed view of the perfect traveller.
    I ask one more time people - lets stick to the OPs topic. If you want to have a fair, clean and honest rant about how they may not be obtaining the car in a fair way then by all means fire away. But please, don't drag it into something completely different and ruin another thread. Last warning lads. Cheers.

This thread has gone in several different directions, but the minute that traveller behaviour is queried you immediately warn people to get 'on-topic'. You yourself have strayed off it my friend.:)

I consider myself to be a fair person, and settled travellers (an extremely nice family who I know to this day) were reared around the corner from me in the 1970s - which was most unusual in itself.

However, that does not preclude me from commenting on anti-social behaviour by either the settled OR the travelling community. A reasonable discussion on traveller behaviour is impossible on this forum, as it is inevitably locked, because someone posts something representative of how a large majority of people feel.

Very sad really. But hey - this is PC Ireland Inc. To be expected nowadays.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    It's like this, the travelling community and the settled community are the same, both have their arseholes but both have their good folk aswell. There's a story from years ago about a traveller going into a main Toyota dealer in the south east looking to buy two or three new Hiace vans but he was snubbed by the salesman. About a week or so later, the same traveller bought three span new vans from a dealer in Wexford instead. I'd imagine the original salesmans boss wasn't best pleased ...

Exactly. But why is comment about the beahaviour of the activities of members of the settled community acceptable - but is taboo in the case of travellers? I'd be interested in people's views on that one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Feel free to PM me Freddie but we have had this conversation before. This forum is not biased in any direction (excluding the protection of Boards.ie in certain circumstances). Iv made my views clear in the past and I will not let anybody attempt to start another flamewar like we previously had.

If you wish to create a topic discussing aspects of travellers in general, I assume After Hours is where to go. If you have issues with Waterford Travellers, by all means create a topic and state your case in a civilised way but flamewars like we had before will result in bans/infractions. If you want to have a winge about how the mods of this forum treat traveller related discussions please take it to Help Desk or send one of us a PM with your comments.

Stick to the topic please.

Feel free to PM me Freddie but we have had this conversation before. This forum is not biased in any direction (excluding the protection of Boards.ie in certain circumstances). Iv made my views clear in the past and I will not let anybody attempt to start another flamewar like we previously had.

If you wish to create a topic discussing aspects of travellers in general, I assume After Hours is where to go. If you have issues with Waterford Travellers, by all means create a topic and state your case in a civilised way but flamewars like we had before will result in bans/infractions. If you want to have a winge about how the mods of this forum treat traveller related discussions please take it to Help Desk or send one of us a PM with your comments.

Stick to the topic please.

Sully, you and I have diametrically opposed views on travellers. That's pretty evident. Likewise there are others here who share similar views. However, the threat of bans/inrfactions, etc in order to proagate these views is distasteful. From either side.

Where in my reply above have I said anything that could constitute a ban and/or infraction? Just interested.;):)

PM sent.

Well after reading some of the posts i can say i was also angry to see this car as the travellers get alot of things for free including free bins etc, if they can afford a 09 Audi A4 then they can pay theyre own way and then they should be made cough up for the overtime that was spent on the Gardai etc etc.

Also do they get charged every 5 mins by the fire brigade out there when they have to put fires out out there? If i call the Fire Brigade i pay over 2000 for a call out.

We the tax payer foot theyre bill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Yabbadimday

Multivan wrote: »
    Well after reading some of the posts i can say i was also angry to see this car as the travellers get alot of things for free including free bins etc, if they can afford a 09 Audi A4 then they can pay theyre own way and then they should be made cough up for the overtime that was spent on the Gardai etc etc.

Also do they get charged every 5 mins by the fire brigade out there when they have to put fires out out there? If i call the Fire Brigade i pay over 2000 for a call out.

We the tax payer foot theyre bill

You're dead right,the fire service should only be available to those who can afford it.

• Advertisement

You're dead right,the fire service should only be available to those who can afford it.

Eh if you have an Audi A4 09 in front of a burning skip i would like to think you can afford it!

And by your logic then i shall tell the Fire Men when they call out to put a fire in my garden every two weeks that i cant afford it they'll tell me where to go.

Id prob get put in Jail if i called them out every two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭manus30

my uncle was in a car dealership in kilkenny a few years ago. a traveller came in with his son and two plastic bags full of cash. he bought a new pajero jeep there and then for cash...
    im sure he paid his taxes when receiving that cash...
    pro traveller people really amaze me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

Price of the most expensive 09 audio on carzone.ie and the cheapest 09 Audio on carzone. Any campsite ive had to go to there are always top of the range Hiluxs and audios parked there. Travellers make there money honestly and dis-honestly. Of course certain traveller families steal and con people, anyone who says other wise is just daft, But what annoys me the most is how nothing can be said against them and how they are always portrayed as the victims in Irish society.

angry_fox wrote: »
    Of course certain traveller families steal and con people, anyone who says other wise is just daft, But what annoys me the most is how nothing can be said against them and how they are always portrayed as the victims in Irish society.

The problem is there are groups of people who
    1) Defend them regardless (usually closely connected),
    2) Agree there is a large selection of bad travellers and another selection of honest decent travellers but are accused of being PC for not being totally anti-travellers,
    3) Anti-travellers.

Travellers get knocked a lot and defended a lot (tho probably the latter more so). People are probably scared to speak out (for many reasons) or not bothered as it doesnt effect them directly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

2) Agree there is a large selection of bad travellers and another selection of honest decent travellers but are accused of being PC for not being totally anti-travellers,
    3) Anti-travellers.

Travellers get knocked a lot and defended a lot (tho probably the latter more so). People are probably scared to speak out (for many reasons) or not bothered as it doesnt effect them directly.

Its pretty obvious that the con-artist and generally not very well liked travellers seam to spread themselves around the place more.
    I hate travellers, as does everyone i know. Our hate is based on our experience with travellers over the course of our lifetimes and is imo justified.

Cool?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Thanks Brendan. The world is a better place now because we know that. Fantastic. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

i once saw a traveller driving a new range rover sport, he had a horse trailer on the back full of TV's in boxes...hmmmmmmm!!!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

3) Anti-travellers.

pavee point
    Is one group that defend them no matter what. There was a halting site built for a group of traveller families up in Sligo. Council spent a lot of money putting in showers, toilets and after a few weeks they had wrecked the place, taken all the copper piping, tiles and whatever else. A person from pavee point came out and said that they were to far out from town and they were lonely.

angry_fox wrote: »

pavee point
    Is one group that defend them no matter what. There was a halting site built for a group of traveller families up in Sligo. Council spent a lot of money putting in showers, toilets and after a few weeks they had wrecked the place, taken all the copper piping, tiles and whatever else. A person from pavee point came out and said that they were to far out from town and they were lonely.

If pushed hard enough, they wont stand by them completely. Overall though, they are a pro-traveller group so I guess its what to expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Ah thats BS though. They shouldn't have to be "pushed hard enough" in order to draw a line between common decency and vandalism. Its that sort of attitude that discredits a lot of traveller groups because they will defend them tooth and nail no matter what. Fair enough if its a just cause because lets face it, all minority groups need a voice, but it shouldnt provide a carte blanche or commit to scapegoating, that only furthers the divide IMO.
    In this argument I definitely do not want to brand all travellers with the same brush but at the same time I think that it is only fair that I have a right to speak negatively about members of their community who have wronged me in the past. I suppose thats the crux of the problem though with all minority groups because it will always be a point of contention.

• Advertisement

It seems that theres certainly an egg and chicken situation going on anywho. i mean it seems that the law and rules and being tested to its limits and abused as with most people there cant be rules made for one group and a different set for others dont like that i pay my bins and my not so far away neighbours dont rules like that are bound to ruffle a few feathers and if i parked my new caravan up on our local green along with horse boxes i recon id be dragged outta my house.

Advertisement