Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

paypal stole my money :(

Options
  • 21-01-2009 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I tried to transfer money from my bank account to my paypal account on the 30th December. The money left my account but never turned up in my paypal. I rang paypal and they told me to fax a statement and my details to some number and also to get on to my bank. I checked with my bank who says the money has left the bank and there's nothing they can do. Meanwhile paypal emailed me back to say they have been "unable to locate" the money and basically they're not going to do anything about it.

Does anyone know what I can do? I can't afford to just let this go, nor do I want to.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Nothing new really, Paypal having been stealing money for years only they call it charges!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Are you sure you put the money in the right account? This is a major problem with this method of getting funds into Paypal, one wrong number, and the money is gone. If you used Internet or Phone banking, then you should be able to check what account number it went into. Otherwise, there's no way to know where it went, or to be sure it actually went to Paypal's account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

hope you didn't lose much money!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

you can ask you bank for details of where they transferred the cash (usually a swift/ chaps payment). They are obliged to keep records.

Tell them that the recipient is claiming non-receipt. the onus is then on your bank to prove they made the payment correctly. Once they can prove this, you can go to PayPal with the details an Paypal can work from there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

Welcome to paypal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

HarryD wrote: »
    Welcome to paypal

my antivirus does not like the page you are linking to. Any reason why you are posting links to malicious content

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

swingking wrote: »
    my antivirus does not like the page you are linking to. Any reason why you are posting links to malicious content

paypal own the anti-virus company?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

swingking wrote: »

If your antivirus doesn't like it, it must be malicious.

OP: The funds will turn up somewhere don't worry. Your bank can trace them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

that no paypal site is dodgy. It sounds so reasonable and rational but it's always linked to by scammers to justify why they want an untraceable bank transfer instead of paypal

When dealing with ebay at least my rule is no paypal=no sale

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

Me I dont do Ebay or paypal

I do credit cards only and buy direct from safe sources

I know toooo many victims from Ebay and Paypal

For me its even if I save 10% using ebay and paypal solutions if one transation in ten goes south I probaly lose out with stress and time wasted and lose the saving from the other 9 transactions

I prefer my track record of 100% safe methods which dont include Ebay and paypal

Derry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I've been using Paypal as a buyer and seller on ebay for about five years and i've never had any issues with them. When I withdraw cash it takes about 3 days to reach my account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    that no paypal site is dodgy. It sounds so reasonable and rational but it's always linked to by scammers to justify why they want an untraceable bank transfer instead of paypal

There is some valid warnings on there, about Paypal's policies and security, but there's also a hell of a lot of fud and misinformation. The key is, to know what Paypal's policies are, when they will and won't refund you, and use a credit card to fund all payments, as that will give you additional protection.

No Paypal = no sale, is a good motto.
    derry wrote: »
    I know toooo many victims from Ebay and Paypal

True, a lot of people get scammed on eBay, but more often then not, it's an obvious scam, and it's the pure greed of the buyer that gets them scammed. Buying TVs, PS3, etc in those fake Gar Da auctions, is one such example. What kind of fool believes they can get a 40" LCD TV, delivered, for 60 euro? If you fall for that, it's too good for you.

Other times, it can happen when a reputable seller just decides to go rogue, and not deliver, closes their account and takes the money before anyone realises what's happened. In that case, you can lose your money, but if you used a credit card to fund the Paypal payment, then you do have more of a protection, in the form of a charge back.
    derry wrote: »
    For me its even if I save 10% using ebay and paypal solutions if one transation in ten goes south I probaly lose out with stress and time wasted and lose the saving from the other 9 transactions

I've often saved more than 50% on eBay purchases. 4-channel radio controlled helicopter, shop in Limerick had them for 180 euro, got it on eBay for 75. Enclosure for a 3.5" hard disk, Maplin (not the cheapest shop, I know) had it for 60 euro, got one for 25 on eBay. Charger/USB cable for my phone, Carphone Warehouse wanted 10 euro, got it for 4.

Just some examples of the deals you *can* get on eBay, you do have to be careful though, and I have had deals go bad. In 100 purchases, I have had to dispute about 7 or 8, but have never once not gotten my money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

jor el wrote: »
    There is some valid warnings on there, about Paypal's policies and security, but there's also a hell of a lot of fud and misinformation. The key is, to know what Paypal's policies are, when they will and won't refund you, and use a credit card to fund all payments, as that will give you additional protection.

No Paypal = no sale, is a good motto.

True, a lot of people get scammed on eBay, but more often then not, it's an obvious scam, and it's the pure greed of the buyer that gets them scammed. Buying TVs, PS3, etc in those fake Gar Da auctions, is one such example. What kind of foll believes they can get a 40" LCD TV, delivered, for 60 euro? If you fall for that, it's too good for you.

Other times, it can happen when a reputable seller just decides to go rogue, and not deliver, closes their account and takes the money before anyone realises what's happened. In that case, you can lose your money, but if you used a credit card to fund the Paypal payment, then you do have more of a protection, in the form of a charge back.

I've often saved more than 50% on eBay purchases. 4-channel radio controlled helicopter, shop in Limerick had them for 180 euro, got it on eBay for 75. Enclosure for a 3.5" hard disk, Maplin (not the cheapest shop, I know) had it for 60 euro, got one for 25 on eBay. Charger/USB cable for my phone, Carphone Warehouse wanted 10 euro, got it for 4.

Just some examples of the deals you *can* get on eBay, you do have to be careful though, and I have had deals go bad. In 100 purchases, I have had to dispute about 7 or 8, but have never once not gotten my money back.

Yeah I'd pretty much have to echo this post, I've gotten electronics, books weird small presents for people, motorcycle parts, clothing - all at WAY cheaper than could be acquired anywhere in Ireland at all, including the North.

I've never been ripped off once, always pay with PayPal, if you just check the sellers details & you know, if something REALLY does seem to be too good to be true, it generally is. Common sense FTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 iluvmusic

So Paypal sent me back to my bank. The bank tried to trace the money but couldn't so they've sent me back to paypal again. Will ring them tomorrow.

I want my money back :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 iluvmusic

Paypal returned my money. I don't know if it was because the bank chased them or me ringing them, i just found it in my account!

So they weren't very helpful, but i got my money back. eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

:)

Advertisement