Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry Notes

Options
  • 21-01-2009 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

Hi guys, im looking for your help, so i got the christmas results back and I did really well in everything else but failed chemistry, I just can't seem to do well in the subject. I really want to do pharmacology in college so im looking to get around the 500 mark but chemistry is the only subject thats really dragging me down. The annoying thing is I actually really like the subject I just find it hard and its going to be very important for my chosen college course. So im just wondering would anyone have some notes that they would be able to give me it would be greatly appreciated !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

Have you thought about getting a revision book? They always seem to help.

Skoool.ie
    http://www.skoool.ie/examcentre_senior.asp?id=2083

is all I can find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭SmellySockies

Okay well when I did chemistry I learned all the experiments since they are easy to remember and are worth about 40% of the exam?? Skoool was good for its definitions list and less stress more success chemistry book is brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

The Rapid Revision book is great. Forget about the textbook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Chemistry Live and effective study are mutually exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I'm doing an access to science course and hadn't done Chemistry since 5th year (I switched to Art in 6th year). I got 96% in my exam. I used the following two sites to help with understanding things (along with the Chemistry book and notes from class).

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/

and

http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php

You say you enjoy the subject but don't do well in exams. Could it be the way you're studying it? You need to understand the basics first otherwise it won't make sense.

What areas are you finding difficult?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Scoobydooo

Thanks for the replies, its mainly the Organic Chemistry part of the course I'm struggling with and I also have some trouble with some of the experiment questions

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

From my experience of chemistry, I'd say don't go looking for notes. The best thing about notes is writing them yourself. It's how I studied chem for my LC, and it really embeds the stuff in your head if you do it right.

So if advice on what to do if you're struggling? Well the sites above and revision books etc can be a help alright. How accommodating/competent is your teacher. Ours was really nice, well clued in and had a good few years of LC experience. If you were ever stuck with anything she would make time to explain it and that really helped, sometime you just can't get your head around something until somebody else explains it to you directly and you can ask all the questions you want. Perhaps you could ask your teacher for some grinds maybe? Or even find someone else like a third level student to help? (Although you're teacher should be more acquainted with the LC material and so not confuse you with other stuff) Also it's true what they say that stuff does start to all come together and you review the course as a whole when you're studying. However it would not be wise to depend on everything "clicking" when you're a couple of weeks before the exam.

Anyway I'm sure you'll do great in the end because you sound interested and that is the main thing!

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Without intending to frustrate you and speaking as someone with a degree in it, there really isn't much chemistry in pharmacology to be honest so don't be worried if you're finding it hard.

Advertisement