Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much exercise for GSD puppy?

Options
  • 21-01-2009 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭

Just wondering, i have a 4 month old German Sheperd male puppy and i am anxious to take him walking with me.

I think a young dog should not be walked too much so i am looking for advise on how much exercise i should give him?

He is at that stage now where he seems to have tons of energy but i will hold off until i know more :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I think the rule of thumb is 5 mins for every month in age. You don't want to overwork the bones and joints as they're developing as it'll lead to problems later on.

You can also do some obedience training and the like with him. Mental stimulation tires them out just as much as physical stimulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

At four months of age, very short walks around the block and what exercise he gets playing with you in the house or back garden is more than sufficient. You don't want to strain those delicate growing bones - especially with a big breed like a GSD. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

can u clarify mental stimulation?

cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Mental stimulation = obedience training, tricks, sit, stay, fetch, all that jazz. There's loads of things you can teach your dog to do and loads of games you can play with him.

I had a good link a while back but I can't find it now, will edit if I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

Toulouse wrote: »
    Mental stimulation = obedience training, tricks, sit, stay, fetch, all that jazz. There's loads of things you can teach your dog to do and loads of games you can play with him.

I had a good link a while back but I can't find it now, will edit if I do.

thanks, if you can find that clip again id be grateful. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement