Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fedor - Baddest man on the planet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

great find!

thx a mil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

That was awesome! Cheers for posting those mate. That's the 1st time i've ever seen anything of the personal side of Feder; what a unique guy to say the least!

How many times did they use the phrase: "baddest man on the planet"? Funny how that's the phrase UFC use to describe Lesnar! UFC needs to sign Fedor!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭ColinJennings

I love Fedor. UFC should do whatever then need to get him in the octagon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

He's bad, but he's no Leroy Browne!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Good show. I always enjoy seeing him destroy Tim Sylvia

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I love Fedor. UFC should do whatever then need to get him in the octagon.

Why? Lesnar is arguably the bigger draw in the States right now. Fedor is just bad business sense at the moment.

Dragan wrote: »
    Why? Lesnar is arguably the bigger draw in the States right now. Fedor is just bad business sense at the moment.

Not necessarily.

It's very likely that Fedor would finish Lesnar convinvingly. If they got enough of a hype machine around him they COULD build him into a massive star. I do see where you're coming from in that the UFC would likely make more from Lesnar than Fedor but at the same time, it could be done.

Fedor, like it says on the documentary there, has gotten to the point where people tune in hoping to see him lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Who is this Fedor guy anyway? Have he ever fought in the UFC?

Good show, i got this from tsd last night along with the Fedor in NY documentary type thing.

Fedor's manager is Vadim Finklestein.
    Vadim Finklestein runs M1 Glogal.
    Fedor is the only real draw in M1 Global.
    Finklestein will only allow Fedor to fight in the UFC if they agree to also allow him to fight for M1.
    Seeing as M1 now work with Affliction, that's not gonna happen!

Fedor isn't in it for the money all that much, and even if he was, he gets paid a small fortune by M1 as it is.
    As long as M1 can keep putting recognised faces infront of him, he'll stay there.

Fedor has the big name fighters wanting to come to him.
    Look at how hard Randy tried!
    Unless the UFC change their polocies, Fedor will never grace the Octogon.

If there is a fight, it will be a cross promotion superfight.
    The last thing that the UFC want is a cross promo fight with the affliction champ, where Fedor runs roughshod over the UFC champ in a few mins!
    If Lesnar becomes as dominant as he promises to be, then in a year or so, I can see it happening.
    Maybe.

Not necessarily.

It's very likely that Fedor would finish Lesnar convinvingly. If they got enough of a hype machine around him they COULD build him into a massive star. I do see where you're coming from in that the UFC would likely make more from Lesnar than Fedor but at the same time, it could be done.

Fedor, like it says on the documentary there, has gotten to the point where people tune in hoping to see him lose.

If i was sitting at a table with Dana and the Fertita brothers and they were talking about signing Fedor i would call them idiots. Plain and simple. If Fedor a fantastic skilled and physical able athlete? Yes. Is he possible the number one fighter in the history of MMA? Yes.

However, he has things that go against them. Anderson Silva is possible the most impressive UFC champ at the moment simply because a very, very high percentage of his fights are exciting, have decisive victories and the guy is a skilled athlete and a joy to watch. That said, his PPV numbers are way too low and the reason why is the language barrier. People relate to fighters that can talk. The UFC is a predominantly English speaking market, whatever way we want to chop it.

At the moment, Affliction are putting a tonne of money into making Fedor a genuine name in the States. The history of MMA indicates that over the next 6 to 18 months Affliction will fold. Let them do the work, then pick Fedor up afterwards. It also works form the point of view of allowing current champs to level out, grow dominant and allow other newer heavy weights to make there mark and there name with fans.

UFC simply do no need Fedor to survive, he is not an essential piece for them and right now, simply would not be worth the bill he comes with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Sm0ke

If i was sitting at a table with Dana and the Fertita brothers and they were talking about signing Fedor i would call them idiots. Plain and simple. If Fedor a fantastic skilled and physical able athlete? Yes. Is he possible the number one fighter in the history of MMA? Yes.

However, he has things that go against them. Anderson Silva is possible the most impressive UFC champ at the moment simply because a very, very high percentage of his fights are exciting, have decisive victories and the guy is a skilled athlete and a joy to watch. That said, his PPV numbers are way too low and the reason why is the language barrier. People relate to fighters that can talk. The UFC is a predominantly English speaking market, whatever way we want to chop it.

At the moment, Affliction are putting a tonne of money into making Fedor a genuine name in the States. The history of MMA indicates that over the next 6 to 18 months Affliction will fold. Let them do the work, then pick Fedor up afterwards. It also works form the point of view of allowing current champs to level out, grow dominant and allow other newer heavy weights to make there mark and there name with fans.

UFC simply do no need Fedor to survive, he is not an essential piece for them and right now, simply would not be worth the bill he comes with.

I'm fairly sure that the ufc would want the best fighter in the world at the moment. Why else try to sign him? why else was there talk for nearly a year over fedor vs couture? Why have the UFC finally acknowledged that he exsists?

I'm sure the UFC fanboys and Dana would love him to be at ufc so they could see him lose.

you are right tough as Lesnar is the far bigger sale in america at the moment regardless of who is the more skilled right now.

also what do you mean by the bill he comes with ? do you mean as far as him fighting in M1 aswell ?

didnt the UFC refuse ti let him fight in his sambo competitions aswell when they were in negotiations?

def agree on afflliction folding, that could happen this saturday if Fedor loses.

Sm0ke wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure that the ufc would want the best fighter in the world at the moment. Why else try to sign him? why else was there talk for nearly a year over fedor vs couture? Why have the UFC finally acknowledged that he exsists?

I'm sure the would sign him too, but they won't bend over backwards to get him, pay him more than they think he is worth or sign a load of guys from Red Devil just because his management wants them too.
    I'm sure the UFC fanboys and Dana would love him to be at ufc so they could see him lose.

Dana is a business man, whether you like him or not. And, like him or not, i have never seen Dana jumping up and down at ringside screaming because his marquee fighter lost. Dana is a business man and a good one, he understands the power of marketing. Fedor, whether people want to admit it or not, is tough to market in America. When a massive percentage of your tickets and PPV sales happen in a relatively restricted market, you play to that market.

I imagine Dana has possible interest in Fedor for their whole world expansion thing, the simple fact is that they don't co-promote. And why would they? They have nothing to gain by promoting with M1 or Affliction. They sure as hell are not going to be strong armed into it simply to get a fighter. THey have always taken the stance that the UFC is bigger than any fighter, and they are right.
    also what do you mean by the bill he comes with ? do you mean as far as him fighting in M1 aswell ?

Nope, i mean how much trouble comes with signing Fedor. His management team strike me as being out to build a whole unit off Fedor, a fight team, a promotion, fight nights etc.
    didnt the UFC refuse ti let him fight in his sambo competitions aswell when they were in negotiations?

And i would too under certain circumstances.

def agree on afflliction folding, that could happen this saturday if Fedor loses.[/QUOTE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Lesnar vs Fedor could be huge, biggest PPV to date
    But Fedor would have to be built up among US fans first. That could be expensive, given what he gets paid to fight. Plus always the risk of him losing a warm-up/promo fight. All the fight footage from pride would be helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Sm0ke

I'm sure the would sign him too, but they won't bend over backwards to get him, pay him more than they think he is worth or sign a load of guys from Red Devil just because his management wants them too.

Dana is a business man, whether you like him or not. And, like him or not, i have never seen Dana jumping up and down at ringside screaming because his marquee fighter lost. Dana is a business man and a good one, he understands the power of marketing. Fedor, whether people want to admit it or not, is tough to market in America. When a massive percentage of your tickets and PPV sales happen in a relatively restricted market, you play to that market.

I imagine Dana has possible interest in Fedor for their whole world expansion thing, the simple fact is that they don't co-promote. And why would they? They have nothing to gain by promoting with M1 or Affliction. They sure as hell are not going to be strong armed into it simply to get a fighter. THey have always taken the stance that the UFC is bigger than any fighter, and they are right.

Nope, i mean how much trouble comes with signing Fedor. His management team strike me as being out to build a whole unit off Fedor, a fight team, a promotion, fight nights etc.

And i would too under certain circumstances.

def agree on afflliction folding, that could happen this saturday if Fedor loses.
    [/QUOTE]

good points, i guess not everyone sees Fedor in the same light as myself XD

never even taught of the language thing tbh until u said it either. I take it aswell that the bulk of US fans only watch UFC hence their lack of knowledge of Fedor ?

what I meant tho by Dana wanting him to lose is all the hearsay and crap taht was apparently coming out of their camp before the Tim Sylvia fight!

bring back pride or if Dream can really get going we wont need to !

and to add : I do like Dana his Blog is hilarious !

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭agardiner22

That was a brilliant documentary.
    Fedor is a MMA god

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

THE OLD ROCKY IV THEME WITH RUSSIA VERSUS AMERICA MIGHT SELL SOME PPV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

I actually think the Arloski/Fedor fight might be the most important fight of the year. Arloski, by most accounts, is a top 5 Heavyweight MMA fighter with plenty of American fans. By most accounts, he's training for Fedor like he's never trained before, and when he steps into the Affliction ring he's going to be 100% ready, fit and able. Fedor's preparation on the other hand has been rumored to be less stringent then previously, despite cutting a media tour early.

AA is probably the most athletic, well rounded (most athletic guy who is well rounded) guy Fedor has ever fought. AA's striking skills are as good as if not better then Crocop's in his prime. Randleman, for all his speed and strength was one dimensional. Dana White has gone on record and said AA is the only guy to leave the UFC he seriously wants back. So what does this mean?

Fedor is fighting a really good, well respected guy. And in my opinion, and of course I may be proven wrong, he is going to run right through him. Fedor is going to bash AA. If he does, Dana White will HAVE TO take this into consideration. If Fedor beats AA and Brock beats Mir (another big if) I think it's highly probably these 2 will meet.

I take Dragan's point that DW is all about the bottom $ but he is also in the business of putting the best fights on as often as possible. DW may have his faults but you can't deny the fact he puts on fights people want to see.

If Fedor wins and wins emphatically I think it's possible we could see a Affliction versus UFC NYE card or a AMerica versus Russia card including fedor and ufc fighters.

There, i've said it. Fedor to UFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭DenMan

He is something else alright. One of my old pals from watching WCW, Tank Abbott, is he still competing? I thought he was cool. Strong man, very powerful and stayed on his feet very well. Just curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

the only way we will see fedor in the ufc is if he ditches his management team, they seem unwilling to co-operate in reasonable negotiations. it is highly unlikely he will do this so therefore very unlikely we will see him in the ufc any time soon.

note: i think we shouldnt be talking about a lesnar/fedor superfight just yet. frank mir has a very real chance of beating brock. mark my words!!

danlen wrote: »
    the only way we will see fedor in the ufc is if he ditches his management team, they seem unwilling to co-operate in reasonable negotiations. it is highly unlikely he will do this so therefore very unlikely we will see him in the ufc any time soon.

note: i think we shouldnt be talking about a lesnar/fedor superfight just yet. frank mir has a very real chance of beating brock. mark my words!!

Fedor's manager isn't being unreasonable.
    He runs the rival orginisation (M1 not Affliction).
    It's not unreasonable to try and keep your only real star from your biggest rival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭agardiner22

True plus he seems to be a very loyal guy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

DenMan wrote: »
    He is something else alright. One of my old pals from watching WCW, Tank Abbott, is he still competing? I thought he was cool. Strong man, very powerful and stayed on his feet very well. Just curious.

Yes. He lost to Kimbo Slice last year. He is set to fight next month which in turn will set up a fight this year with Ken Shamrock.

Advertisement