Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Vodafone 3G SIM in O2 dongle - possible?

• 22-01-2009 12:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I won't be renewing my contract with O2 3G as the particular place where I use it, Vodafone has better coverage.

Question - Can I just replace the O2 3G SIM with a Vodafone SIM when the time comes? It's a Huawei E270

Thanks guys

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Depends on if it is locked or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

You need to get your modem unlocked by 02. I just finished my contract with them, need to provide my IMEI to them. If you have paid for it then you should be able to get it unlocked unless they are going ot refund you for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Depends on if it is locked or not.

Any easy way of finding out? I paid the €79 initial purchase price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If you haven't already unlocked it, then it won't be. You'll have to get O2 to unlock it.

jor el wrote: »
    If you haven't already unlocked it, then it won't be. You'll have to get O2 to unlock it.

Thanks for the info guys. Any idea if I can ring O2 and have it unlocked before my contract ends? I'm going to stick the 12 months out, but would be nice to know that it's unlocked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Any easy way of finding out? I paid the €79 initial purchase price

€79 is subsidized. Some modems real retail price is near €300. That is why the modems are locked. Only a modem bought independent of an operator at full price is sold unlocked.

They will charge a lot to unlock it before the contract ends and significant amount afterwards. The only value in unlocking before end of contract would be to use a local PAYG sim in another country.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭jimmyjim11

You can request one on o2 broadband forum here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

@watty - They won't charge you to unlock it before the contract ends. You're in contract, they don't care what you do with your modem.

@JohnCleary - Once you get your code get this software to help you unlock it www.o2.ie/broadband-unlock

All sorted folks, thanks for the advise re. O2 forums - They got back to me within 24hours of giving the IMEI of the device

Advertisement