Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slow Cooker recipes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭cobham

Depending on ingredients especially vegs, you will find a lot of liquid accumulates by end of cooking. Nothing evaporates or very little so go easy on added stock/tomato/soup... just enough to nearly cover ingredients. I would add herbs, seasoning and tom puree at end and maybe remove some liquid to a saucepan and make a thicker sauce from it by adding some cornflour.

I try and have ingredients hot before adding to the preheated stockpot. So meat/onions fried up a bit. Then add liquid pan to clean off and heat up before adding to stockpot. I might put carrots chunked into microwave to put some heat into them but not cook. Some stockpots have an automatic setting that does 'high' for an hour then sets to 'low'. I wait a while until I see the lid perking with escaped heat then turn it down. Depending on what is in the pot, this time can vary. And different models vary as well so you will get to know your own one.

That liquid is all goodness so if too much save for a soup or to start off another cassarole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Got a 1km piece of housekeeper's cut, put it in the beloved slow cooker with some smoked garlic, onions and stock. I have it on high for the past two hours, how long should I leave it in so it's still sliceable before it gets to the point where it's falling apart (which is no bad thing really, just want to be able to slice it)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Bassfish wrote: »
    Got a 1km piece of housekeeper's cut

Whaaah?

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Whaaah?

😄 Ha sorry, predictive text! 1kg obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

For anyone new to slow cookers I'd like to offer the following time saving tip....and I know it seems like a contradiction as you are slow cooking after all! Anyway, if I'm adding any liquid like stock, wine or tins of chopped tomatoes, I will generally heat these up before putting them in the slow cooker...otherwise the cooker will spend the best part of an hour just trying to get these up to temperature.

Loire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Bassfish wrote: »
    Got a 1km piece of housekeeper's cut, put it in the beloved slow cooker with some smoked garlic, onions and stock. I have it on high for the past two hours, how long should I leave it in so it's still sliceable before it gets to the point where it's falling apart (which is no bad thing really, just want to be able to slice it)?

Doing the same, 6 euro cut from Aldi? :)

I have it on for almost five hours now (half the time on low, half on high) and it split in two when I took it out there...but need to thicken the sauce a little with cornflour so it will be going back in shortly for another stint!

Doing the same, 6 euro cut from Aldi? :)

I have it on for almost five hours now (half the time on low, half on high) and it split in two when I took it out there...but need to thicken the sauce a little with cornflour so it will be going back in shortly for another stint!

That's the one :-) I took mine out after four hours and it's perfect. Melt in the mouth but holding it shape in thick slices. It's going into a pitta this evening and in the lunchbox tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭uberalex

A nice tip: Aldi do a fajita vegetable kit of onions, peppers and things like that with a nice spice packet thrown in. I chucked it into the cooker with some other veg and meat and it's a great quick fire and forget option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Just made the most fabulous brisket in my slow cooker recently!!

Brisket with caramelised onions:

1 brisket
    2 large onions sliced
    3 Garlic cloves, minced, or garlic paste if u have it.
    500ml of beef stock
    3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon of soy sauce
    Salt and pepper

First step, slice onions add to a frying pan and fry on a low heat for about twenty minutes, stirring the odd time.

While that's going, season the brisket well with salt and pepper. In a hot hot pan, brown your brisket on all sides until it crusts on the outside.

Lay your brisket on the bottom of your slow cooker dish and lay the onions on top and around it. Pour the stock in. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours minimum depending on the size of the brisket. Brisket is very tough so leave it for longer if needs be. I like it falling off the bone so I normally would leave it on for about 12. I think my slow cooker is starting to die on me so it took about 16 hours for me to get it how I wanted it.

If you want to remove some of the fat from the dish, wait til the brisket cools and you can scoop it off the top.

Amazing!!

I think the advice is to put veggies at base and meat sitting on top of same? So that would usually be onions/carrots for my concoctions. As for your slow cooker taking a longer time? I would suggest that you try not to open lid to check as you lose so much steam/heat each time and set back the cooking time.

• Advertisement

cobham wrote: »
    I think the advice is to put veggies at base and meat sitting on top of same? So that would usually be onions/carrots for my concoctions. As for your slow cooker taking a longer time? I would suggest that you try not to open lid to check as you lose so much steam/heat each time and set back the cooking time.

I've had it for a good few years and I normally put these in before I go to bed, so I don't open it. I think it's just coming to the end of its life. I normally would put veggies on the bottom for other things but I generally don't do that kinda thing. I use it for chilli every week, and i left it on overnight last time i made chilli and i had to cook it all day again because it wasn't fully done. It owes me nothing, though. I've done a lot with it over the years.

Right so... that is a decent chunk of time to leave overnight. I sometimes use a timer for socket to turn off if not around or if doing porridge out of whole oats that only take 3 or so hours.

I got a small one from Argos recently but took it back as TINY and misleading info on box as to capacity... I got a better small one from Lakeland in UK. But still have the bigger one on the go :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Got that 1kg housekeepers cut, will be leaving it on low as I have to go to town. Will 6 hours do it? Do you cover in liquid r just leave resting on veggies?

You need to get heat into good proportion of ingredients first. I would stir fry chunks of veg a bit, maybe blast carrots in microwave, into pot. Then sear outside of joint in pan and into pot on top of veg layer. Then add hot liquid... maybe stock from cube and boiling water or tin of toms heated in pan and to clean off last bits. I would then leave at least an hour on HIGH then reduce for at least 4/5 hrs or even longer. I would preheat the pot also while prepping the rest.

Perfect thanks. It will be on for 6-7 hours on low, might be too long?

No never had a 'too long' complaint!... the pot is very forgiving and could be on for 12 hours and be lovely. Remember little moisture is lost so no drying out. When adding liquid bring level to just below the joint. The veg will generate more liquid as cook and bring up level. Try and avoid removing lid during cook time save at very end to check or add some last minute stuff. I would season at end or remove liquid to a pan to make a thicker gravy/sauce with bit of cornflour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Most things take 4-5 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low.

Maiden voyage of my new one tonight.. Brisket again!

Without a doubt, nicest dinner I've made in a long time. Thanks for the tips on cooking the housekeepers cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

can anyone recommend a brand of slow cooker or somewhere that sells one

nicki11 wrote: »
    can anyone recommend a brand of slow cooker or somewhere that sells one

I got mine in Argos, Cookworks and only around €16.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

I know you can make hot chocolate in the slow cooker, which I plan to do over Christmas, as I've a salted caramel hot choc recipe I want to try out, but what about mulled wine? Presumably that would work too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

Neyite wrote: »
    I know you can make hot chocolate in the slow cooker, which I plan to do over Christmas, as I've a salted caramel hot choc recipe I want to try out, but what about mulled wine? Presumably that would work too?

I've done mulled cider, which worked very nicely. Especially after I poured brandy into it :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I'm doing a slow cooked bolognese today, can't wait to try it.

beertons wrote: »
    I'm doing a slow cooked bolognese today, can't wait to try it.

Should have fried off the onions, the dish was way too watery. I was a bit lazy this morning only frying the mince. But all the veg was cut and mixed in the same bowl. I won't give up though, I'll make it again.

• Advertisement

I have used the slow cooker to serve up mulled wine but prepared on conventional hob. Handy to have slow pot on the go at a steady heat for late arrivals. You dont want mulled wine to come to a boil as alcohol will burn off. I have used a pair of slow cookers to serve a choice of curry meals... prep in advance and plug in elsewhere to serve up and leave room on hob to do rice etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

beertons wrote: »
    Should have fried off the onions, the dish was way too watery. I was a bit lazy this morning only frying the mince. But all the veg was cut and mixed in the same bowl. I won't give up though, I'll make it again.

That's my concern about slow cooker bolognese. I'd imagine it would be best to prepare it as normal in the pan and just transfer it to the slow cooker for a nice long simmer? I usually simmer it on the hob for 2-3 hours.

That's my concern about slow cooker bolognese. I'd imagine it would be best to prepare it as normal in the pan and just transfer it to the slow cooker for a nice long simmer? I usually simmer it on the hob for 2-3 hours.

That's exactly what I do - you're essentially replacing the simmering stage with the slow cooker. The key benefits for me is the improvement in taste, the lower cost and the fact you can leave it there and head off / do something else without the place burning down :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Loire wrote: »
    But of course :)

Here's my easy, trusted recipe for slow cooker Spag Bol batch - probably serves 6 or 7 portions.

Turn the slow cooker to high

Ingredients
    1kg of mince. Lean steak mince is the best - don't be tempted by the cheap stuff - it's terrible!
    2 tins of chopped tomatoes
    1 glass of red wine (white would be fine too)
    2-3 cloves of garlic, sliced thinly
    3-4 carrots, peeled & diced
    3-4 sticks of celery, diced
    1 onion, chopped finely
    1/2 a punet of mushrooms, sliced thinly
    Good squeeze of tomatoe puree
    Mixed herbs (from a jar is fine)

Method

Put the 2 tins of chopped tomatoes into a jug and microwave for 90 seconds - tip into the slow cooker

Put the glass of wine into the same jug and microwave for 40 seconds - tip into the slow cooker.
    (Microwave wine I hear you ask :eek:? Been doing it for ages and it's perfect....you just want to get it warm). The rationale behind the last 2 steps is to bring the "liquid" ingredients up to temperature rather than the slow cooker taking an hour to do the same thing.

Fry the mince in batches on a medium-high heat until browned...add to the slow cooker as you go.

Fry the onions and garlic for a minute. Add the carrots, celery and mushrooms & fry for another few minutes...add the lot to the slow cooker

Add a good squeeze of tomato puree and a dash of mixed herbs.

Give it all a good stir and Bob's you uncle. You can leave it on High for a few hours or turn it down to Low when it starts to bubble (about an hour) if you want to leave it cook for longer.

All that you need to do then is boil your spaghetti before serving.

If you don't finish it all you can always re-heat the next day (and it'll be even nicer) or freeze in portions.

I always grate a good bit of cheese when serving and as you've probably opened a bottle of wine for the dish then it would be a shame to not finish it off ;)

Loire.
    I'm hoping to make this in the morning, just wondering, as I have no microwave, can I put the wine in a saucepan to heat it or put it in cold?

Also, am I better too cook everything fully first and then put it into the slow cooker, or just brown it off and let the slow cooker do the cooking?

Any help appreciated. I have tried spag bol once and it was a disaster, so I'd like to get it right this time!

I'm hoping to make this in the morning, just wondering, as I have no microwave, can I put the wine in a saucepan to heat it or put it in cold?

Also, am I better too cook everything fully first and then put it into the slow cooker, or just brown it off and let the slow cooker do the cooking?

Any help appreciated. I have tried spag bol once and it was a disaster, so I'd like to get it right this time!

Hiya,

Heating the wine in a saucepan would be fine. I'd only bring it up to a warm temperature though.

I'd just brown meat and fry the veg for a few mins...leave the bulk of the cooking to the slow cooker

Hope it works out!

Loire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

A question folks.

I hear a lot of you saying X hours at high, OR Y hours on low.

I just got a new slow cooker today! Well, new to me anyway, friend doesn't use hers so it's now mine. Haven't used one before.

Anyhow, I think I would cook most things on high for an hour or so first, then low for many hours after. I just think getting things up to temperature would be a good idea to start off with, but that might not be right.

I would also brown any meat and sweat veg first. Now I know that kind of defeats the purpose of a slow cooker, but to me, it seems to be MADE for long slow cooking of cheaper cuts, so my prep as above doesn't seem too unworthy for the end result!

What do you do?

Prep on the stove first
    In the slow cooker on high for an hour then low,
    or any other combo?

I suppose it does depend on what you are cooking, but I would use shin beef, housekeepers cut, corned beef, leg of pork and lamb that kind of thing.

thanks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Spiced beef in a slow cooker. Yay or nah ?
    If its a go, what do I need ? I'm think to leave it cook overnight on christmas eve to be ready Christmas morning.

horgan_p wrote: »
    Spiced beef in a slow cooker. Yay or nah ?
    If its a go, what do I need ? I'm think to leave it cook overnight on christmas eve to be ready Christmas morning.

Was thinking the same thing myself, but given the day that's in it I'd be slow to try something new...thinking of just going route 1 and boiling it with the ham on Xmas eve...

Just to edit....boil the ham and the spiced beef separately!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

12 chicken drumsticks
    1/2 cup of soy sauce
    1 cup coca cola

I'm in the process of cooking it for 6 hours!

Going to reduce the liquid (in a regular saucepan) after the 6 hour slow cooking and serve the sauce over the chicken over rice.

I shall report back!

Very excited about my new baby. Anyone got any good stuff I should try out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Cooking Club Pulled Pork by Sparks is really good.

Really, really good.

Really, really, really good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Merged.
    amdublin - Please check this thread & The Cooking Club for recipes.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

amdublin wrote: »
    12 chicken drumsticks
    1/2 cup of soy sauce
    1 cup coca cola

I'm in the process of cooking it for 6 hours!

Going to reduce the liquid (in a regular saucepan) after the 6 hour slow cooking and serve the sauce over the chicken over rice.

I shall report back!

Very excited about my new baby. Anyone got any good stuff I should try out?
    how did it turn out? was it nice?

casio4 wrote: »
    how did it turn out? was it nice?

Well!

I reduced the sauce for about a half an hour, with hindsight I may have reduced it a little too much as the flavour was very intense.

It was very nice but a little salty (the soy). I am going to alter the volumes next time:
    12 chicken drumsticks
    1/2 cup of soy sauce - I am going to use 1/4 cup next time
    1 cup of coca-cola - I am going to use 1 & 1/4 next time

I'll post a pic now

Rustic looking I think.

It was 10.30 before I was eating so just had a small amount

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

can anyone recommend some chicken recipes for slow cooker, really struggling to find any tasty chicken dishes?

• Advertisement

has anyone tried this?

Zelda247 wrote: »
    can anyone recommend some chicken recipes for slow cooker, really struggling to find any tasty chicken dishes?

Your post in the Cooking Chat thread reminded me that I meant to put up my chicken, chorizo and chickpea stew recipe for you. I make it in the slow cooker using large breast fillets cut into 3 and/or thighs with the skin on.

Half a ring of chorizo, sliced (I freeze the remainder)
    Chicken of choice
    Sliced carrots, celery and onion
    A red or yellow pepper, sliced
    2 crushed cloves of garlic
    A tin of tomatoes
    A tin of chickpeas, rinsed and drained (we're recent converts!)
    200ml of hot water mixed with a chicken stock cube
    A couple of tablespoons of wine if you have some open
    Salt and black pepper
    A heaped dessertspoon of flour
    Half a teaspoon of hot chilli powder (optionalbut it gives a lovely heat )
    Olive oil

Fry the chorizo in a dry pan until it starts to crisp. Remove and put it into the slow cooker. Add the chicken to the pan and quickly seal. Put it in with the chorizo. Add a little olive oil to the pan and put the sliced veg in. Fry gently until it starts to soften. Add the garlic and chili powder, and after a minute add the flour. Stir well. Add the stock, and wine if using. Stir it well, add the chickpeas and a little salt and plenty of black pepper.
    I cook this in the slow cooker for 4 hours on high and the chicken doesn't dry out, or one hour in a casserole dish in the oven at 180C

Here's what it looks like: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95732940&postcount=6262

Korma, tikka, madras, masala. Use the korma base in the shortcut list, and adjust the spices accordingly. I love cooking chicken dishes in the slow cooker.

any chicken i cook just seems to taste dry and flavourless despite the sauce being tasty.... i think maybe the answer is to cook chicken in the slow cooker for a max of 4 hours? appreciate your thoughts.

any chicken i cook just seems to taste dry and flavourless despite the sauce being tasty.... i think maybe the answer is to cook chicken in the slow cooker for a max of 4 hours? appreciate your thoughts.

The recipe I posted above can sometimes be in the slow cooker for longer than four hours but I'll usually turn it down to the Low or Keep Warm setting.

Of course, if you were to cook it on Low you could leave it for twice as long but I never have so I can't say what effect that has on the chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Crock pot for sale in currys at 29.99. Will be trying a few of the recipes here in one I picked up yesterday.

Can highly recommend the Fruity Lamb Tagine recipe on the BBC Food website, I made it in the slow cooker last week and it was DIVINE!... my hubby loved it and even tasted better when reheated from frozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭WittyNameForMe

354854.jpg
    This technically is a soup recipe, but when served with rice it almost feels more like a curry.

Slow Cooker Thai Chicken Soup

Ingredients:
    2 tablespoons red curry paste
    2 12 ounce cans of coconut milk
    2 cups chicken stock
    2 tablespoons fish sauce
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    2 tablespoons peanut butter
    1½ pounds chicken breasts, cut into 1½ inch pieces
    1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into ¼ inch slices
    1 onion, thinly sliced
    1 heaping tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
    1 cup frozen peas, thawed
    1 tablespoon lime juice
    Coriander for garnish
    Cooked white rice

Instructions
    Mix the curry paste, coconut milk, chicken stock, fish sauce, brown sugar and peanut butter in the slow cooker bowl.

Place the chicken breast, red bell pepper, onion and ginger in the slow cooker, cover and cook on high for 4 hours, or 8 hours on low.

Add in the peas and cook for ½ hour longer. Stir in lime juice and serve with coriander and white rice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Can highly recommend the Fruity Lamb Tagine recipe on the BBC Food website, I made it in the slow cooker last week and it was DIVINE!... my hubby loved it and even tasted better when reheated from frozen.

Was it this one http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/12751/fruity-lamb-tagine

If so, did you reduce the liquid for doing it in the slow cooker?

• Advertisement

Yes that's the one. No I did not reduce, I would say though if cooking in a slow cooker only add the apricots about an hour before eating as they go mushy.

Advertisement