Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slow Cooker recipes

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

My favourite slow cooker recipe at the minute is a minced beef tomato-ey stew. It's a bit like Sloppy Joes so you could have it on burger buns.
    Halved baby potatoes or cubed new potatoes cook very well in it.

1lb/500g of lean minced beef
    1 large onion, chopped
    1-2 carrots, diced
    1 stick of celery, diced
    A crushed clove of garlic
    A tablespoon of flour
    Half a tin of chopped tomatoes
    A mug of hot water mixed with a beef Oxo cube
    A tablespoon of tomato purée
    A dash of Worcestershire sauce
    Salt & black pepper
    A good pinch of Italian herbs or mixed herbs

Sauté the veg in a little oil until it starts to soften, then add the mince and garlic and fry until the mince has browned, breaking it up as it cooks. Lower the heat and stir in the flour, let it cook for a minute. Then add the stock, tomatoes and purée, stirring well. Add the Worcestershire sauce and herbs, and salt & pepper. Put it all into the slow cooker and add the potatoes, stirring it well so the potatoes are immersed.

I give it 5 hours on high, and by then it tastes amazing and the meat is really tender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Anyone got a slow cooker recipe using minced pork?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭54and56

Anyone ever see a divided ceramic slow cooker pot? looking for one, trying to maximize my time by cooking 2 lentil dishes for lunches

Loads available for a discounted €7.49 in Aldi Sandyford/Beacon.

1ztzqg.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

You pulled pork aficionados will balk at this but I got the Dublin meat company cajun rubbed shoulder of pork. Stuck it on low for 15 hours, shredded it and mixed with 1.5 bottles of barbecue sauce.

Divine, and so little work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I have some lamb in the freezer and would like to make a curry in my slow cooker, has anyone got a simple recipe please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,801 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'm presuming that you're looking for an Indian-style curry.

For 2lbs lamb...
    2 tsp ground cumin
    2 tsp ground coriander
    2 tsp curry powder
    1 or 2 tsp of ground chilli (depending on your taste)
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 knob ginger grated
    2 cloves garlic minced
    1 tbsp tomato pureé
    1 tin chopped tomatoes
    2 medium onions halved & finely sliced
    2 peppers cut into chunks

Garnish with fresh chopped coriander leaves & a squeeze of half a lemon.

If you wanted to bulk it up you could throw in a tin of chickpeas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Made a batch of lentil curry for my lunches. Very simple and tasty. It made a huge batch so will stock the freezer in work for a good while.

2 cups puy lentils
    3 tblspns Pataks tikka masala paste
    2 tblspns cumin
    2 tblspns garam masala
    2 cloves of garlic
    1 onion
    2 tblspns cumin
    1.5 tblspns chilli flakes
    chicken stockpot
    2 tins tomatoes
    2 sweet potatoes
    4 carrots
    2 courgettes
    3 peppers
    half a cauliflower

I threw it all in my 6.5l slowcooker, gave it a mix and for left it on high for 4.5 hours. Great dish to make to clear out the veg drawer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Hey all

Looking for a good recipe for ribs in the slow cooker...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod Note: threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Teeley

athtrasna wrote: »
    Made this again today

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/slow-cooker-lamb-and-pasta

Tweaking it everytime I do it. Minced lamb comes in packs of just over 400g so I only used one of those and swapped out the tinned tomatoes and 500ml of water for a carton of passata and about 100ml of water. Reduced the amount of pasta too. Definitely the best batch yet. I think next time I might add some mushrooms and maybe a splash of red wine.

Sounds delicious!..do you add the redcurrant jelly? If yes do you think it's possible to leave it out or can you suggest a substitute?! Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Teeley wrote: »
    Sounds delicious!..do you add the redcurrant jelly? If yes do you think it's possible to leave it out or can you suggest a substitute?! Thanks.

I do. A sauce I make that requires redcurrant jelly suggests raspberry conserve as an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Hey all

Looking for a good recipe for ribs in the slow cooker...

http://i.imgur.com/cxo0ITY.gifv

cxo0ITY.gifv

Thank me later.

[edit] Anyone know whether and how I could embed that gif / video?

Evil_g wrote: »

cxo0ITY.gifv

Thank me later.

Can anyone recommend a decent BBQ sauce? To use for the above recipe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

cxo0ITY.gifv

Thank me later.

From my own experience getting anything that isn't you standard Chef / KP sauce is usually a safe bet to go with. I can't recommend any particular brands (since there's no specific one I get every time) but that method hasn't set me wrong yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Kat1170

The sauce they are cooked in ??

Sorry, I thought to serve with the ribs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭eman66

Have this on the go at the moment - http://addapinch.com/cooking/slow-cooker-shredded-beef-recipe/

Probably the easiest thing I've ever "cooked" bar boiled eggs!!

FYI I buy 29oz jars of Montreal Seasoning for cooking steaks here http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0014D1E1Q?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00 Saves a fortune buying the tiny bottles and sachets and means I always have plenty of seasoning on hand which came in handy this morning.
    gucci wrote: »
    I meant to come on here and thank you, made this a couple of weeks ago, and made the beef nachos that are linked on the actual recipe.....so easy and so rewarding......it was a big hit with us!! (especially combined with home made guacamole that for once was made with avacados at the right stage of ripeness!)
    What did you guys use for the beef broth in that recipie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Glebee

cxo0ITY.gifv

Thank me later.

Ive tried that. Out of this world fall of the bone ribs......

Dont forget to take the membrane of the back of the ribs. makes a hugh difference in my opinion...
    And also a toast under the grill at the end to make it crisp up slightly....
    Sweet Jesus I need ribs now...

hey all just wondering if the following would be possible...

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fish-recipes/keralan-fish-curry/

looking at doing this in the slow cooker, put everything bar fish into sc for 6 hours low and addinbg fish for an additional 30 minutes at the end to cook fish and help reduce the dish a little

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

My concern would be whether the fish would ooze liquid into the curry (maybe that would only happen if the fish was frozen), and being in slow cooker it wouldn't reduce so the curry sauce and flavours would be diluted.

You could cook the fish separately at the end and stir it in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

My concern would be whether the fish would ooze liquid into the curry (maybe that would only happen if the fish was frozen), and being in slow cooker it wouldn't reduce so the curry sauce and flavours would be diluted.

You could cook the fish separately at the end and stir it in?

I think cooking a recipe like this in the slow cooker would cause everything to go to mush and wouldn't be very appealing at all.
    Slow cookers are great for cheaper cuts where slow cooking tenderizes the meat. But fish would disintegrate totally in my opinion.
    Only my opinion though .

The fish would only be added at the very end, when the lid is off to let it reduce a little

cxo0ITY.gifv

Thank me later.

Want to make this today bit all I can find are Bacon ribs. Will they do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭atilladehun

They look delish.

I wouldn't think so. Pork ribs are common enough. Did you shop around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

No no no.
    Plain boiled bacon ribs are lovely but they are not a substitute for pork ribs for BBQ

Pork ribs are common enough. Did you shop around?

Na, just checked the local supermarkets Tesco/Dunnes and Aldi hence ended up with bacon ribs :(

I do actually like bacon ribs but usually have them boiled and have them with some boiled and buttered baby spuds and cabbage (yummm) and I dip the ribs in brown HP sauce. They won't be wasted I assure you!!!

Went to Fenlons butchers in Stillorgan and picked up three racks of pork ribs which are now in the slow cooker covered in that lovely BBQ marinade. Can't wait for dinner tonight :p

Patww79 wrote: »

Are they not too salty??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I've always been able to get Pork Ribs in Superquinn/Supervalu. Haven't gotten them in a while though so not sure how available they are nowadays.

• Advertisement

cxo0ITY.gifv

Thank me later.

That GIF drove me crazy trying to figure out the ingredients. Must have watched it 20 times :o

So, here it is in glorious YouTube with a pause button!!!

First time I made it I made the mistake of using Cayenne Chilli Pepper instead of Cayenne Pepper and as I didn't have plain old Chilli Powder I used some dried chillis. To say it was a spicy was an understatement!! Too hot for the kids so I ended up eating ribs for a couple of days out of pure stubbornness. :o

Made it again with proper Cayenne Pepper and Chilli Powder with a 480G bottle of €0.95 Tesco BBQ sauce as the base and it worked out 100%. It's a keeper for the winter that's for sure.

Stick it on low before heading out to work on a Friday, pick up some chips on the way home along with some beers and wine for myself and Mrs Jean and family movie night is sorted ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

First time I made it I made the mistake of using Cayenne Chilli Pepper instead of Cayenne Pepper and as I didn't have plain old Chilli Powder I used some dried chillis. To say it was a spicy was an understatement!! Too hot for the kids so I ended up eating ribs for a couple of days out of pure stubbornness. :o

Made it again with proper Cayenne Pepper and Chilli Powder with a 480G bottle of €0.95 Tesco BBQ sauce as the base and it worked out 100%. It's a keeper for the winter that's for sure.

I have been cooking with chile peppers and making my own chili powder (note the difference in spelling) for over 30 years, and nothing about these two paragraphs makes sense to me. Cayenne pepper is nothing but powdered cayenne chile pods. Chili powder is a combination of spices, such as ground chile pepper, ground cumin, salt, and garlic, used as the spice base for making the dish "chili". What did you actually use?

By the way, boiling bacon ribs to get the salt out and using them as if they were fresh pork ribs resulted in an inedible mess when we tried it. And I'm from Texas and I know what ribs are and how to cook them. It's difficult to find good ribs for making BBQ around here that aren't already cut apart and covered with some flourescent red sauce.

Speedwell wrote: »
    I have been cooking with chile peppers and making my own chili powder (note the difference in spelling) for over 30 years, and nothing about these two paragraphs makes sense to me. Cayenne pepper is nothing but powdered cayenne chile pods. Chili powder is a combination of spices, such as ground chile pepper, ground cumin, salt, and garlic, used as the spice base for making the dish "chili". What did you actually use?

Used the one on the left last week as the "Cayenne Pepper" along with crushed chillis. Used the newly acquired one on the right this week along with a generic "Chilli Powder" which worked out fine.

20160922-21251474576078.jpg
    Speedwell wrote: »
    By the way, boiling bacon ribs to get the salt out and using them as if they were fresh pork ribs resulted in an inedible mess when we tried it. And I'm from Texas and I know what ribs are and how to cook them. It's difficult to find good ribs for making BBQ around here that aren't already cut apart and covered with some flourescent red sauce.

If you are anywhere close to Stillorgan then tip into http://fenelons.ie in the Shopping Centre (Mall for ypour Texans but then it's hardly a "mall" :p) and you'll be able to buy all the unadulterated plain baby back pork ribs you can shake a stick at for €8.99 a KG. They have even removed the membrane on the back of the rack. Happy days. :D

There should properly be little to no difference between the contents of those two jars. I would be interested in seeing what whole dried chilies you used, though. I am a big fan of Aji Panca as an ingredient for my homemade chili powder, but I also got a bag of Bhut Jolokia the last time I placed an order, and we've been having some pyromaniac fun with those since. They have a lovely, fruity, complex flavor, if you can manage to taste past the heat. I bottled some, warmed in hot oil, in a large Kilner bottle and tasted the oil five months later... divine stuff. If you're a Satanist. :D

By the way, that's my contribution to the slow cooker recipe book: "Stew" a handful of whole dried chilies (chipotle is fun on the mild end, jolokia about as hot as I would go... scorpions and most of the "7-pots" are just too violent) in a neutral-tasting vegetable oil or refined coconut oil for several hours on low. Bottle in sterilised Kilner bottles, portioning the chili pods out between the bottles. Keep three months or longer before using. After the oil is used, add more warmed oil and keep a further three months. This should work two or three times on the same batch of pods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭ellejay

Thought this might be helpful to some other users, I cooked potatoes in my slow cooker last night and they were lovely.

They tasted like baked potatoes.

They were medium sized and cooked on high for 5 hours, didn't wrap in tinfoil.
    Maybe I should have?

ellejay wrote: »
    Thought this might be helpful to some other users, I cooked potatoes in my slow cooker last night and they were lovely.

Maybe I should have?

No, they just steam in tinfoil. Never wrap baked potatoes in tinfoil.

ellejay wrote: »

Maybe I should have?

What kind/size of pots did you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭ellejay

Zelda247 wrote: »
    What kind/size of pots did you use?

rooster potatoes, medium size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Hi guys - would this recipe be ok in the slow cooker? (just worried the amount of liquid wouldn't reduce down)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

_feedback_ wrote: »
    Hi guys - would this recipe be ok in the slow cooker? (just worried the amount of liquid wouldn't reduce down)

I would say it would be fine, keep an eye on it and add a drop of water if it starts to get really thick, but I'd say with the lid on it won't reduce too much on a low heat.
    (You could add stock but this would increase the levels of salt)

It would be grand, but my main criticism of making stews in the slow cooker is that it doesn't get hot enough to melt the onions, and is quite watery as a result. A good stew IMO should be cooking in a thick pot for hours so that the veg all starts to literally melt into the sauce. There's nothing like it! A slow cooker can't hit that level of melty goodness unfortunately.

Fwiw I actually stay away from water-based dishes like stews in the slow cooker as a result. I think they just don't reduce down in a nice manner, or if they do, they still stay watery throughout the reduction unless you start adding in flour.

This slow cooker lasagna looks good - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqR86aQOZIE

Anyone here tried it?

It would be grand, but my main criticism of making stews in the slow cooker is that it doesn't get hot enough to melt the onions, and is quite watery as a result. A good stew IMO should be cooking in a thick pot for hours so that the veg all starts to literally melt into the sauce. There's nothing like it! A slow cooker can't hit that level of melty goodness unfortunately.

Fwiw I actually stay away from water-based dishes like stews in the slow cooker as a result. I think they just don't reduce down in a nice manner, or if they do, they still stay watery throughout the reduction unless you start adding in flour.

I must say I do agree with you on that, can I ask what you find cooks best in the slow cooker?

I must say I do agree with you on that, can I ask what you find cooks best in the slow cooker?

Things like bolognaise are amazing! Chilli and curries, both meat based and veg lentil based ones (actually I made a lentil one that was ridiculously good) too have worked well for me. Even simple things like following the instructions on a jar of Patak's curry paste led to one of the nicest curries I'd had in a long time. Pretty much anything non-water based will be lovely, I just think that a dish where you're expecting the water to dissipate like when on the hob / in the oven will lead to disappointment.

• Advertisement

Things like bolognaise are amazing! Chilli and curries, both meat based and veg lentil based ones (actually I made a lentil one that was ridiculously good) too have worked well for me. Even simple things like following the instructions on a jar of Patak's curry paste led to one of the nicest curries I'd had in a long time. Pretty much anything non-water based will be lovely, I just think that a dish where you're expecting the water to dissipate like when on the hob / in the oven will lead to disappointment.

Thanks so much. Where do you normally get your slow cooker recipes from?

_feedback_ wrote: »

It looks like a lot of liquid for the slow cooker. I tend to use no more than 500ml, so you'd need to cut either 250ml of the ale or 125ml each of the ale and tomato liquid.

OR

You could leave the liquid as it is and throw in a handful of pearl barley.

Thanks so much. Where do you normally get your slow cooker recipes from?

This thread itself is a great resource, there was a pulled pork recipe posted a while back that I'm really keen to try, then after that google all the way (bbc good food and allrecipes are usually a good bet). I tihnk once you get past the initial hit and miss of finding what you think works adn what doesn't, there's no stopping you.

What I like about the slow cooker is how bloody easy it is to cook in it, it typically is usually a case of throw everything into the pot then sit back and let it run for 4 - 8 hours. There's the issue of having to take all day to cook it, but I'll usually lash something for the next few days on one evening after that day's dinner is eaten, then you've maybe the next 3 days of eating taken care of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Not withstanding possible added salt issues, I find if you stir in some gravy granules for the last half hour it thickens up the sauces in stews/ casseroles.

This thread itself is a great resource, there was a pulled pork recipe posted a while back that I'm really keen to try, then after that google all the way (bbc good food and allrecipes are usually a good bet). I tihnk once you get past the initial hit and miss of finding what you think works adn what doesn't, there's no stopping you.

What I like about the slow cooker is how bloody easy it is to cook in it, it typically is usually a case of throw everything into the pot then sit back and let it run for 4 - 8 hours. There's the issue of having to take all day to cook it, but I'll usually lash something for the next few days on one evening after that day's dinner is eaten, then you've maybe the next 3 days of eating taken care of.

The one thing I found did not work well with the slow cooker is chicken.

• Advertisement
Advertisement