Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slow Cooker recipes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Not withstanding possible added salt issues, I find if you stir in some gravy granules for the last half hour it thickens up the sauces in stews/ casseroles.

A small spoon of cornflour in a drop of cold water is great to thicken up a stew right at the end.
    Quite often I'd add a can of chickpeas or haricot beans to a casserole or curry and that would act as a thickening agent. Ground almonds are also a nice addition at the end of a curry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

I've gone off using the slow cooker. I don't like having something plugged in for hours when I amen't at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

I've gone off using the slow cooker. I don't like having something plugged in for hours when I amen't at home.

Do you unplug the fridge when you leave too? :D

Do you unplug the fridge when you leave too? :D

:D suppose not

:D suppose not

Haha. I do know what you mean though. Used mine the last day and had a burst of paranoia during the day that it was going to burn down the house.

As long as there's no damage to the wiring it should be fine. There isn't actually a lot of power (in an I^2*R sense) running through it.

http://www.sustainableliving.uconn.edu/articles/crockpots.php

Should really say what I made in the slow cooker since that's the point of this thread. It was super simple so hopefully it will encourage some people to try experimenting.

I made meatballs in tomato sauce a few days ago. Meatballs came from the butchers so no prep for them (think there was 12-16 meatballs). I browned them in some oil in the pan (seals in the flavour) the evening before and kept in the fridge until the morning to prevent bacterial/germ growth.

Tomato sauce was made off the top of my head so this might not be exactly right. Heat oil in a sauce pan. Add some crushed cloves of garlic and fry gently. Add x2 tins of chopped tomatoes, x2 tablespoons tomato paste, x1 tablespoon nutmeg, x1 tablespoon Worcester sauce and some salt and pepper. Let it simmer gently for 30-40 mins to reduce. Blitz it up using a blender and you're done.

Put the meatballs in the slow cooker and cover with sauce. Put slow cooker on Low for 6 hours and you're done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

x1 tablespoon nutmeg, .

Please tell me that's a typo!
    Even a teaspoon of nutmeg would be far too much imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Zelda247 wrote: »
    The one thing I found did not work well with the slow cooker is chicken.

Chicken thighs are your friend here

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jrby

Hi, does anyone use the ALDI or LIDL slowcookers....thinking about getting one, as they seem to be good value, if there are not any good, can someone recommend a decent one?

thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

jrby wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone use the ALDI or LIDL slowcookers....thinking about getting one, as they seem to be good value, if there are not any good, can someone recommend a decent one?

thanks

Slow cookers are very basic appliances so one is as good as the next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

jrby wrote: »

thanks

My one is an Aldi one. It's excellent! Going strong 4 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Chicken thighs are your friend here

This.

I usually take the skin of mine, brown them slightly in a skillet.

Then I throw them in the slow cooker with some chopped onions, carrots, quartered (but not peeled) spuds.

Throw in maybe half a cup of cold water, a teaspoon of tom puree, a chicken stock cube and some paprika

It's a chicken soup/stew concoction that my kids can't get enough of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

This.

Then I throw them in the slow cooker with some chopped onions, carrots, quartered (but not peeled) spuds.

Throw in maybe half a cup of cold water, a teaspoon of tom puree, a chicken stock cube and some paprika

do you cook it on low? and for how long?

do you cook it on low? and for how long?

Slow for 6-8 hrs, leave the bones in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

We do chicken breast and whole chicken in ours, but we don't mind shredded chicken.

We've done fajitas a couple of times recently - lots of veg, chicken breasts or beef, and the aldi specially selected jar/ spice combo. Tastes lovely, but messy to eat.

Added Aldi broth mix to the savoury mince the other day - really sucked up the moisture to the degree I didn't have enough water/ stock (or added too much broth mix). Going to try it in the fajitas mix next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

I see aldi have a ham fillet on offer... anyone recommend a nice recipe???

I see aldi have a ham fillet on offer... anyone recommend a nice recipe???

Score your ham (don't be afraid of it, be aggressive) into diagonal scores, in opposite directions.

Pierce ham with some cloves along the score lines (about a dozen should do)

Mix a teaspoon of mustard powder with four or five tablespoons of brown sugar (I use Muscovado sugar) and a pinch of cayenne pepper. (Literally a pinch)

Add a little bit of coke (or any other cola) from a can (if using a bottle, about a cups worth is what you want) to form a paste with the sugar and mustard powder.

Rub paste into ham.

Place ham in the slow cooker, and pour in the remaining cola.

Cook on high for an hour/hour and a half (depending on your ham size) ***set your alarm***

(Do not lift the lid
    )

Turn down slow cooker to low, and cook for an additional 7-8hrs or so.

Eat. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭shalom

This.

Why don't you peel the onions?

shalom wrote: »

I think its the spuds that are not peeled.

• Advertisement

shalom wrote: »

Spuds.

The skin holds them together, plus that's where most of the vitamins and nutrients are, but also the skin is tasty too. :)

Sorry. Cola?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Is it necessary to use so much liquid in the slow cooker.
    For example, to do a joint of beef most recipes seem to fill the cooker with water/stock.

( have slow cooker with weeks still ain't used it :o )

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

La.de.da wrote: »
    For example, to do a joint of beef most recipes seem to fill the cooker with water/stock.

Definitely not. For stews etc I use half the amount of liquid recommended for oven/hob cooking. For a joint of beef I just add a mug of hot water, mixed with a stock cube for flavour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

As Dizzyblonde said, you don't need much liquid/stock for a joint of beef etc. I just usually add a cup.

Easiest thing to get you going with the slow-cooker is... buy a joint of beef, before you go to work in the morning put it into the slow-cooker along with some seasoning and a cup of stock. Stick it on low until you get home in the evening. Then eat!

I made this beef curry in the slow cooker today and it was really good, the beef was extremely tender (I used rib)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/slow_cooker_beef_curry_13533

The only thing I'd add is a teaspoon or two of sugar to counteract the acidity in the tomatoes. I added some to the leftovers before freezing them.

Have this in the slow cooker right now (added sugar, just in case) expect an update around 5.30/6pm. It

It has the house smelling wonderful by the way:D

• Advertisement

Have this in the slow cooker right now (added sugar, just in case) expect an update around 5.30/6pm. It

Did you use fresh chilli and ginger?

Did you use fresh chilli and ginger?

Yes.

A few things I believe must always be in the kitchen.

Onions.
    Chilli
    Garlic
    Ginger
    Scallions
    Cans of tomatoes.
    (You can make s wide range of dishes with them)

Was a bit annoyed that Mrs Stewart had made a chilli during the week, and forgot to inform me she had used the last of the tinned tomatoes.

I only found out after I had browned the beef, and fried the onions garlic, chilli and ginger with the spices.

Cue a badly dressed Alf, with the kids in toe headed off to the shop before 9am to get them. :mad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Yes.

A few things I believe must always be in the kitchen.

Onions.
    Chilli
    Garlic
    Ginger
    Scallions
    Cans of tomatoes.
    (You can make s wide range of dishes with them)

Was a bit annoyed that Mrs Stewart had made a chilli during the week, and forgot to inform me she had used the last of the tinned tomatoes.

I only found out after I had browned the beef, and fried the onions garlic, chilli and ginger with the spices.

Cue a badly dressed Alf, with the kids in toe headed off to the shop before 9am to get them. :mad

I never liked Ailsa, could never be trusted that one!!

It was delicious.

Simply delicious. I should add that I added some garden peas to it, about thirty minutes before I dished it out. (Love peas in curry)

uZ2a00.jpg

Kids loved it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Anyone recommend a vegetarian slow cooker recipe that kids/adults could all have tomorrow evening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Anyone recommend a vegetarian slow cooker recipe that kids/adults could all have tomorrow evening?

I've done sweet potato & chickpea curry in slow cooker. Lots of recipes online... Just see which variant you want to go for.

For the day that's in it you could swap sweet potato for pumpkin maybe...

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-slow-cooker-vegan-pumpkin-curry-recipes-from-the-kitchn-211457

I am planning to do a beef stew tomorrow but fancy making it with tin of tomatoes instead of stock, any thoughts if this would work well?

I am planning to do a beef stew tomorrow but fancy making it with tin of tomatoes instead of stock, any thoughts if this would work well?
    Why dont you want to use stock? No reason you cant use both.

Why dont you want to use stock? No reason you cant use both.

Just hoped for something a bit richer, hence the tomatoes.

Sorry. Cola?

Don't knock it til you try it.

What is cola? Caramelized Sugar in liquid form. Adds great taste.

I do a mean beec stew with tomatoes as its base, also some paprika etc.
    Ingredients

2 - lbs of Stew Beef
    4 - Cups of warm water
    4 - teaspoons of Beef Bouillon Granules
    1 - medium Onion, sliced
    3 - medium Carrots, sliced
    6 - Red Potatoes, quartered and diced
    2 - Tablespoons of Butter
    1/3 - cup Tomato Paste
    1 - teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
    1 - teaspoon Salt
    1 - teaspoon Sugar
    1/2 - teaspoon Black Pepper
    1/2 - teaspoon Paprika
    Instructions

Melt the butter in a large sauce pot over medium heat.
    Add in the stew beef cubes, brown for about 10 minutes.
    Add 4 cups of warm tap water.
    Add sliced onions.
    Add Worcestershire Sauce
    Add Salt
    Add Sugar
    Add Black Pepper
    Add Paprika
    Cover, let simmer on medium-low heat for 1 hour.
    Add carrots
    Add Potatoes
    Add Tomato Paste
    Add Beef Granules, stir all ingredients well.
    Cover again, simmer for about 45 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
    Serve warm and Enjoy!

Leave skin on the spuds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The beef stew (or casserole as others would call it) that I make includes tinned tomatoes and beer, no stock.

I start with the holy trinity carrots/celery/onions fried with bay leaves and sometimes Thyme. Then add the beef and a table spoon of floor. Then a tin of tomatoes and a bottle of ale. Lid on and fuhgeddaboudit for a few hours.

Basic but beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Don't knock it til you try it.

What is cola? Caramelized Sugar in liquid form. Adds great taste.

Our Christmas ham is always glazed in the oven with cola and spices. You're right it's gorgeous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

To cook a joint of beef, I first brown the outside in frypan, it is called sealing, i lay carrot, onion on bottom and put in half a cup of water, and lay beef on the veg , close and come back 6 hrs later, and it is beautiful, then I make the gravy from the liquid on bottom of slow cooker,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 147 ✭✭REM76

I tend to avoid any vegetables in a slow cooker. Great for meat, but veg tends to turn to unappetising mush.

• Advertisement

My Beef Stew with tomatoes turned out very nice indeed.

I used, stewing beef, onion, carrots, parsnips, red potatoes with skins on chopped in half, 1 tin of tomatoes, soup mix (a dried mix of lentils and beans) stock cube, hot water, chilli flakes, paprika, worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper, cooked on slow for 8 hours.

REM76 wrote: »
    I tend to avoid any vegetables in a slow cooker. Great for meat, but veg tends to turn to unappetising mush.

Depends which vegetable you use. Harder, root vegetables work well, so carrot, parsnip, and potato. To use softer vegetables, like say peas, add them an hour or two before the end of cooking.

What's everybody's favourite slow cooker chicken dish? I just never can get right with chicken

What's everybody's favourite slow cooker chicken dish? I just never can get right with chicken

Ive done Pulled Chicken a few times. Just treat it like anything else. Stock, chicken, some veg. Chicken on the bone is best as it gives more flavour to the meat.

If you dont premarinade chicken breast or put it in a rub the night before, the meat will be a bit bland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Chicken on the bone is best as it gives more flavour to the meat.

I've cooked chicken thighs before in the slow cooker, but had a job to get my family to eat it. The bones make everything v awkward and messy and they hated picking through them.

Any solution to this - do people remove the bones and skin before or after cooking? Or maybe it's one of those things people are into or they're not.

I've cooked chicken thighs before in the slow cooker, but had a job to get my family to eat it. The bones make everything v awkward and messy and they hated picking through them.

Any solution to this - do people remove the bones and skin before or after cooking? Or maybe it's one of those things people are into or they're not.

After a few hours in the slow cooker you should be able to easily slip the meat off the bones with a couple of forks. Removing the bones before oooking means you miss out on the added flavour. Removing the bones prior to serving means it'll be easier for the family to eat.

I will point out that when I was a kid I always opted for breast meat when we had poultry, because I hated the idea of removing bones or cartiledge from the bit I was about to eat. It doesnt bother me any more though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Tried sourdough bread in the slow cooker a few days ago. Probably came out one of the best sourdoughs i've baked, crusty where it touched the cooker and soft crust from the steam everywhere else. Preparation as normal, put it in the (buttered) crock at room temp, left to rise, then 2 and a half hours or thereabouts on high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Patww79 wrote: »

That sounds very interesting! Could you persuade her to share the recipe with us?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Advertisement