Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slow Cooker recipes

1282930313234»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭OU812

I have a cast iron dutch oven (no enamel) which seems to be different to what most people use, Le Creuse etc. It requires treating with oil and you bake it to maintain the glaze. I wanted it to double up as outdoor crockery for camping, which it will definitely be ideal for.

I tried slow cooking ribs for a few hours in it the first time I used it, and it got so hot that they completely burned to the sides and it took days to get all the burn off. Lovely! I've never burned anything before in my entire life so i was actually fairly devastated!!

I've since made one of the most delicious stews I've ever eaten, but that was on the hob. I'm not sure if inside the oven is just too hot for it (min 140). Does anyone else have a cast iron; any tips? I don't want to use tomatoes or lemon in the recipes because the acidity absorbs the metallic flavour from the iron.

dutch-oven-5qt-1-494x600.jpg

I'm very intimidated by this yoke tbh

Cooking with cast iron is a totally different experience. You have to allow for residual heat in the iron (walls, base, even lid). It’s great to cook with but you really need to do it properly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭54and56

Taken from the No Chat Amazon Bargain Thread - 6.5L Morphy Richards Sear & Stew slow cooker.

€29 delivered inc duty etc if you have Amazon Prime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭54and56

Instant Pot copy on sale in Aldi tomorrow for anyone looking for a slow cooker / pressure cooker combo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Ryath

54and56 wrote: »
    Instant Pot copy on sale in Aldi tomorrow for anyone looking for a slow cooker / pressure cooker combo.

Thought it was pricey at first but it double's as air fryer to.

Seems to be a new model. Sort of tempted I have a instant pot and air fryer already but there's times I've been tempted to get a second of both but storage is an issue. I'll wait and see for feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Does anyone ever make bolognaise in their slow cooker by just throwing in mince and a bit of chopped onion and carrot and then pouring in a jar of Dolmio or something? Ive looked at slow cooker recipes for bolognaise but tbh for the amount of effort and ingredients involved in online recipes I might aswell leave all those things bubbling away in the pan they tell you to brown the meat in anyway and save myself the hassle of cleaning the slow cooker afterwards.

Exact same for question for chicken curry, Im just looking for easy lunch recipes for work that I can do in a single go in one pot then scoop into a lunchbox and out the door, can I just dice a chicken breast and throw in some peppers and onions and a jar of sauce (I dont want to faffing with 10 different spices and yoghurt etc, I love the Lidl curry sauces way more than anything Id make from scratch myself)

Will these simple things cook in a slow cooker or will it turn out a mess after 6-7 hours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Not browning the mince does lead to a bit of an odd texture to the meat, but it's not entirely unpleasant. That being said, I usually do bolognese or chilli in the dutch oven these days.

You can absolutely do them the way you say - just throw the ingredients in and let them cook away. The result won't be as good as if you treat them with a bit of time and love though - but sure that's always the way in the kitchen. The results will be perfectly edible though and can be easily improved by adding a few things like a stock pot/bay leaf or two/msg/fish sauce etc.

Oh yeah I should have said Ill brown the meat and the onion a little bit in the pan first but after that do you think the Dolmio will be okay mixed with brown meat/onion/diced raw carrot/some peas in the slow cooker on high for 6-7 hours? It wont turn into a burned or dried out mess? I can throw some beef stock in there for liquid aswell I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Yeah, you'll be fine doing that - leave the lid on it and it shouldn't lose too much moisture.

Though perhaps not on high for the whole time - 7 hours on low will be more than enough assuming it gets to a reasonable temp - or if your slow cooker has an auto function it will start on high and turn itself down after an hour or two.

Perfect thanks, will see how it goes.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I made this or as close to it as I could yesterday and it was delicious! I was unsure as the stewing beef I had didn't look great but after 5 hours on high in the slow cooker it was falling apart with tenderness. Yum! I reckon I will be trying a few more slow cooker recipes over the next while, I have the OP bookmarked now for inspiration.

• Advertisement
Advertisement