Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi Servicing - Not a dealer

Options
  • 22-01-2009 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi. Been shopping about for an Audi service. Still not entirely happy. Got a quote from Park Motors for about 450. Brady Garages for 410. Autoplatz for 380. No one seems to be able to quote for a service in detail. I want a proper computer diagnosis, oil change, tuning, examination .. yukity yuk .. an itemised quotation .. 300+ for an oil change, new wiper and wash fluid, and wash is a scam.

Am I being unreasonable. What exactly should I be asking for in an Audi service. Are there any garages that listen and will do what i ask. I can change wipers and fluid.

Does anyone know what SIMI do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Well do you need the diagnostic carried out? Have you a fault with the car? Is it minor service or major service (depending on mileage)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

bzpc26 wrote: »
    Hi. Been shopping about for an Audi service. Still not entirely happy. Got a quote from Park Motors for about 450. Brady Garages for 410. Autoplatz for 380. No one seems to be able to quote for a service in detail. I want a proper computer diagnosis, oil change, tuning, examination .. yukity yuk .. an itemised quotation .. 300+ for an oil change, new wiper and wash fluid, and wash is a scam.

Am I being unreasonable. What exactly should I be asking for in an Audi service. Are there any garages that listen and will do what i ask. I can change wipers and fluid.

Does anyone know what SIMI do?

You see this is what garages are up against...

(1) Unless you have a fault with your car, you do not need a "proper computer diagnosis". Whether you go to an authorised dealer or an independent outlet, if there is no problem to diagnose, then your car will not be hooked up to a diagnosis system. Unless there is a light on at the dash or a performance problem with the engine, the car will not be hooked up to diagnose a problem that obviously isn't there.

(2) Engine "tuning" is no longer necessary or possible. Engines are now equipped with and fully controlled by several closed loop electronic control functions and an ECU that constantly adjusts the operation of the engine and monitors performance.

I'm not having a go at you here OP, but you have to get some basic level of familiarity with what you need and you need to take ownership of finding out what you need to know, in respect of your servicing and maintenance requirements. If you ring up a garage and say off the top of your head that you want a computer diagnosis with a service when you don't need one, they won't start educating you, they'll just quote you the price for hooking up your car to their diagnosis system, and add that onto the price of a service! And I can assure you that if there is not a problem with your car, and I mean if the engine light is not on and the car is driving fine, it will not be hooked up to a diagnostic system, but if you ask for it you'll certainly be charged for it!

I suggest that anyone who drives a car should do a course on engine fundamentals and be able to have an honest and informed conversation with an aftersales dept or independent garage with regard to what they actually need.

Advertisement