Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What health issues worry you?

• 22-01-2009 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

Is there something you've read about that you worry you might develop in later life? A hereditary disease? Something that hasn't been talked about in the media much but you think is affecting men's health?
    Personally, I worry about my nut sack obviously, but also diabetes and other diet issues. I know how bad my diet can be, and while its a relatively recent thing (snacks and sugary foods were generally kept out of our diet as kids) its something I wonder about when I'm chomping down biccies or whatever.

What is it that concerns you, that you'd like to improve, or that you feel needs to be looked after? What would you tell guys to get checked for?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Kidney stones.

Not serious, but fúck me I hope I never have to piss out a rock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i'd be most concerned about the mid-region the meat and two veg

hate the tought of catching something nasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Probably Diabetes for me. I've pretty much been out of action for the past 9 months because of a lung injury suffered playing soccer (recovered now thankfully) but my diet over that period would seriously put the diet of a morbidly obese person to shame. Diets been good for the past 10 days though, so hopefully by Feb i'll have gone cold-turkey on most of the rubbish I was throwing back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Sudden death

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Kidney stones.
    Fizman wrote: »
    Probably Diabetes for me.

+1 to both of them......

Heart Problems seem to run in the family, along with Alcoholism, I'll have to keep an eye on both.

Thinking im getting RSI too, thats not good, Leaving Cert in a few months...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Cancer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Mental Health - Depression occurring in most male family members; uncles, father, grandfathers, once middle age hits. 1 broken marraige as a result. 2 suicides so far, and 2 other alcoholics. All seperate members.

Definitely hereditary, but how can you prevent something like that? I'm 27, oldest grandchild, if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Definitely the big 'C', especially anything to do with bowels or stomach, closely followed by any kind of dementia / alzheimers etc. I've given my wife orders to shoot me if anything like that happens :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Definitely hereditary, but how can you prevent something like that? I'm 27, oldest grandchild, if you know what I mean.

Yeah the hereditary things are the hardest to deal with, there are plenty of alcholics in my family and yes it occurs to me that therefore I should try and drink as little as possible, but that means being defined by what came before, living a certain way because of other people's mistakes? I'd rather just get drunk tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Nearly everyone in my family who has died since I was born died of cancer - my sister has commented on it a few times and she says half-jokingly, half-seriously that we're all pretty much ****ed! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

The main thing I worry about is diabetes. I have a really bad diet and it's a wonder I haven't developed it by now.

Also I could potentially become overweight later in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭rondog

HIV .After seeing 'philadelphia' and reading blogs of HIV patients and seeing first hand the effects and symptoms I can safely say im scared sh1tless to sleep around and as for blood transfusions-not a fcukin hope unless thoroughly tested.i probably sound a bit melodramatic but it scares the bejaysus out of me.

• Moderators Posts: 51,881 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Cancer or high blood pressure related problems. Have a history of both in my family.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I'm lucky that both sides of my family are quite healthy (no cancer or heart disease or anything like that) and I take good care of myself, but I do have some irrational worries like sudden death, or dying while under general anesthetic or something like that... I guess I worry a bit about mental illness as well. I see so many mentally ill people around me - some quite severe - and I worry that I could end up like them. They seem oblivious to it, so I could be oblivious to it too...

rondog wrote: »
    HIV .After seeing 'philadelphia' and reading blogs of HIV patients and seeing first hand the effects and symptoms I can safely say im scared sh1tless to sleep around and as for blood transfusions-not a fcukin hope unless thoroughly tested.i probably sound a bit melodramatic but it scares the bejaysus out of me.

Assuming you're a heterosexual male living in Western Europe you have little to worry about... especially if you keep very risky behaviour to a minimum.

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Assuming you're a heterosexual male living in Western Europe you have little to worry about... especially if you keep very risky behaviour to a minimum.

Really a very naiive thing to say. Sounds like something someone would say in the 80's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Spiderman80884

Cancer is the big one for me. I smoke too which is just a bit reckless. I was down at the doctor this week because I've had a burning sensation in the right side of my neck. She had a look at it and found a lump of some description. I have to go and get an ultrasound on it on Monday and wait for a week or so for results.

Having had a good feel around the area in question she was somewhat reassuring in that she said that the lump she felt didn't seem to be attached to anything and it wasn't hard so it could just be a glandular thing.

That said, I am ****ing cacking it right now. I haven't told the other half yet and don't plan to unless something is drastically wrong. Here's hoping (and praying!)!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I guess main ones would be diabetes which runs in the family and also cancer which is in both sides of the family. My uncle on the fathers side had liver cancer but has made a full recovery and my grandmother on my mother's side died of cancer last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Hopefully you'll be ok, good luck with the ultrasound.
    Cancer is the big one for me. I smoke too which is just a bit reckless. I was down at the doctor this week because I've had a burning sensation in the right side of my neck. She had a look at it and found a lump of some description. I have to go and get an ultrasound on it on Monday and wait for a week or so for results.

Having had a good feel around the area in question she was somewhat reassuring in that she said that the lump she felt didn't seem to be attached to anything and it wasn't hard so it could just be a glandular thing.

That said, I am ****ing cacking it right now. I haven't told the other half yet and don't plan to unless something is drastically wrong. Here's hoping (and praying!)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Cancer and HIV, they are the only ones that are really scary.

Really a very naiive thing to say. Sounds like something someone would say in the 80's.

Nope. Check the stats.

Out of the roughly 350 or so new HIV cases in Ireland every year, only a handful (i.e. a dozen or so) are heterosexual, non-drug using, Irish males.

It's a topic I know really well, as I started researching it about 10 years ago when a family member died from HIV.

Basically a heterosexual man has to have hundreds of unprotected sexual encounters (i.e. vaginal sex) with a HIV+ woman for him to catch the virus.

Women aren't so lucky, and neither are gay men, but it's still very hard for them to catch HIV from a single incidence of unprotected sex with a HIV+ person.

There is loads of research on this topic, but you can start here.

/Please don't interpret this as "AARRRGH is saying don't use condoms"
    //I don't want to derail this thread, we can take it to PM if you want to discuss further

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

There's no history of anything major in my family but I still worry I'll get cancer. People have been smoking around me for as long as I can remember so that will increase the chances. I'm pretty much worried of getting any mental issue. And then there's things like breaking something but that would most likely be my own fault if it happened.

Advertisement