Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible/worthwhile/stupid?

Options
  • 22-01-2009 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭

Is it possible, worthwhile or just plain stupid to teach yourself the fiddle with no help from someone who knows what they're doing?

I thought myself guitar from tuition books and CDs and would like to think i've a decent ear for music. But anyone I've asked has said the violin is too complicated an instrument to teach yourself. That if you learn it the wrong way it's very hard to un-learn it. But then again these people were trying to get me to shell out for lessons off them at the time...!

Could any real-life players out there give me an opinion? Better still does anyone here have a success story of having successfully thought themselves? Or should I just shut up, scrape together my remaining coppers and get on with a lesson? Thanks guys!!

PS how hard is it to tune a violin???? ;) Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Strings.ie

Fiddle/Violin is a hard instrument but I don't see why it isn't possible to teach yourself. Having said that, a good teacher is going to be able to steer you clear of bad habits that will need to be undone at a later stage and more importantly push you each week. The trouble with teaching yourself is it is too easy to not bother this week and be too relaxed about it all. If you know you have a lesson next week and teacher is expecting you to have practised that can really help.

Tuning is G D A E. Good luck with it though, its one of the most versatile instruments on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Thanks very much!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

I would very much agree with what strings has said. While it is possible to teach yourself, I would recommend getting yourself some lessons as teaching yourself can cause you to develop bad habits. A good teacher will be able to motivate and challenge you and will also help in the development of a style, greater understanding of the music, etc. Maybe try your local comhaltas branch for affordable lessons? Best of luck. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Go for it!
    Fiddle is hard but fi you have an ear for music and some good books it is possible,if you fail you can get lessons!;)

Advertisement