Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alfa Romeo GTV enquiry

• 22-01-2009 1:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hey guys,

am considering buying a late 90s model Alfa GTV 2.0. Can anyone tell me any experiences they've had with this car, good or bad? Is the Lusso the highest spec one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

tooler7 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

am considering buying a late 90s model Alfa GTV 2.0. Can anyone tell me any experiences they've had with this car, good or bad? Is the Lusso the highest spec one?

Take a look on www.alfaowner.com, its a mine of information. I have no expreience of a GTV to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,824 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Great car although the 2l is a bit pointless. I'd go for the 3l V6. You need to know what you're getting into, so if I were you I'd do some research on enthusiast websites and do not buy one from any dealer, only buy from an enthusiast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

i know tooler well, hes only 20, so 2.0l is probably the max he can go! he also typed that message out at my flat, in case any mods are wondering why the IP's are the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

wealth of info on alfaowner alright.
    I have a 3.0 V6 and it's great.

the 2.0TS is still agreat engine though but the usual oil level and timing belt checks are necessary.

In generally they are an expensive car to maintain, but look fantastic :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Main issues with the GTV are oil, belts and suspension bushes. All need regular attention. The Twinspark makes it a nice little sports car, the V6 makes it an animal. I'm getting one next:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

as mentioned above, check the oil regularly, check the belts, check the coolant and check the bushes. I have a 3.0 V6 - drinks oil, just ordered new bushes, replaced the coolant bottle and hoses recently. And get a car with a metal impeller in the water pump as the plastic ones tend to break and will cause serious issues.

Also the pre tensioner under the driver seat has a fit sometimes and the air bag light comes on. easy fix though.

And no matter how you feel about the issues you've heard - it's a great car!

@cjt156 - when you're going to get one drop me a pm, I'll be selling soon. Or upgrading the engine in it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If LHD isn't a problem, there's also a 2.0V6 turbocharged engine.:)

steve06 wrote: »
    I have a 3.0 V6 - drinks oil

the V6's don't tend to use any oil...... wassup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I had a 2L 00 Black one. I loved it, really really loved it. Here are the plus and minuses for me anyway...

PLUS
    Stunning looks, the styling is amazing.
    Great fun to drive
    Nice noise
    Leather seats

MINUS
    A little underpowered for a 2L engine
    The doors were about a foot wide! Mind where you park
    My back demister didn't work, had to get a new fuse box
    The usual problem with a low down car (lights shining in from jeeps behind...)
    The steering arc was bad
    One day the key code just didn't work, had to be reprogrammed. (all faults fixed under warranty from Alasta Autos)

I know there are more minuses than pluses, but it was worth it. Great car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

3ps wrote: »
    This oil thing seems to vary from car to car. We have a 130,000 mile 156 2.0 in the family from new and it's never used any noticeable amount of oil - it just stays at the full on the dipstick from service to service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Anan1 wrote: »
    This oil thing seems to vary from car to car. We have a 130,000 mile 156 2.0 in the family from new and it's never used any noticeable amount of oil - it just stays at the full on the dipstick from service to service.

I'd have to agree...my 1.8TS 156 used approx 1l of oil every 10k miles

i agree it varies from car to car, but I thought that was only on the TS?
    from what I can gather the V6 shouldn't use anything.

@cjt156 - when you're going to get one drop me a pm, I'll be selling soon. Or upgrading the engine in it...

I'm committed to keeping the current 156 until it becomes a financial drain (don't say it! - 115k miles and no major issues yet). When it goes I'll be hunting far and wide for a well maintained late Phase 2 V6 in Rosso with tan leather.
    I was considering something with a semi-sensible JTDm but whenever I hear that 3.0V6 through a Ragazzon I go weak...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

My auntie's cat's cousin's owner's uncle had a GTV, and it collapsed into a mini black hole which ate his garage, so be warned!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,824 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Anan1 wrote: »
    If LHD isn't a problem, there's also a 2.0V6 turbocharged engine.:)

G'luck trying to legally export that out of Italy ;)

cjt156 wrote: »
    I'm committed to keeping the current 156 until it becomes a financial drain (don't say it! - 115k miles and no major issues yet). When it goes I'll be hunting far and wide for a well maintained late Phase 2 V6 in Rosso with tan leather.
    I was considering something with a semi-sensible JTDm but whenever I hear that 3.0V6 through a Ragazzon I go weak...
    how about black with tan leather and a ragazzon midsection with a powerflow rear ;)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=f9kuzKhm73E
    3ps wrote: »
    She's just a thirsty b!tch... If I don't sell her and upgrade to the 3.4 supercharged engine I hope it'll be better :D

how about black with tan leather and a ragazzon midsection with a powerflow rear ;)
    Ohh, matron...I'm gonna have to clean this mess up now!

I'm in Shankill and have seen and heard your car on the road; me likey mucho bueno!!

yea the video doesn't do it justice.

Advertisement