Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What makes a good photo and what makes a bad photo?

• 22-01-2009 2:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I'm doing an essay on photojournalism, and I was just wondering what are the key aspects I should be talking about. I.E focus, shutter speed etc etc etc.....

I don't want to just waffle about a photo, i'd like to talk about it in a semi-competent way!

Thanks for any tips!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I'm doing an essay on photojournalism, and I was just wondering what are the key aspects I should be talking about. I.E focus, shutter speed etc etc etc.....

I don't want to just waffle about a photo, i'd like to talk about it in a semi-competent way!

Thanks for any tips!

The message the photographer is trying to convay and how he did it and to what degree if sucess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

The Photographer .. end of.

When you see a fantastic shot, do you ever think of aperature, shutter speed, lens, camera etc. I don't.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

The how is compostion shutter apeteure ISO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 batman84mac

Covey wrote: »

The Photographer .. end of.

When you see a fantastic shot, do you ever think of aperature, shutter speed, lens, camera etc. I don't.

Yeah but I have to explain the mechanics of the photo, ie the depth of field, blah blah blah... I just was wondering if anyone had any tips on what areas to concentrate on.....

I've a 3000 word eassy to do!

Yeah but I have to explain the mechanics of the photo, ie the depth of field, blah blah blah... I just was wondering if anyone had any tips on what areas to concentrate on.....

I've a 3000 word eassy to do!

I have to study this, I'll pass on links tomorrow

• Advertisement

I have to study this, I'll pass on links tomorrow

Thanks very much, any help is greatly appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

How much do you already know?

I'm a great fan of Heather Angel, as she explains technique alongside photos that represent clearly what she is doing in relation to the light levels, equipment, etc.,...

http://www.heatherangel.co.uk/links.aspx

Her books used to be easily found in Dublin public libraries and you could try there.

Also, what level of comprehension are you being asked to express in your essay? Some more guidelines and I'll happily find links to what would best suit.

By Googling

essays photography dof explained

I found some really nice sites, including this one:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/fototech/htmls/depth.html

And this might help:

http://www.waikatophotosoc.org.nz/page/librabry-list.html#m

Here's hoping we get to read the final essay. There is talk of a photgraphy magazine on Boards.ie and this would be an ideal piece to publish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The use of the technical aspects in the photographic process are tools that a photographer uses to create an image that tells a story.

It's like a painter has different tools available such as canvas size, type of paint, colours, brush size & type etc. etc. All these choices will change the look of the final painting.

As photogaphers we also have a wide selection of tools to use. Each choice made will change an aspect of the image. A good photographer will have control over as many of these variables as is necessary to arrive at the final photograph that will convey the message that is intended.

For the essay you could examine various creative options, their effects & how this effect can be utilised to better convey a message.

Post #1000 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

CabanSail wrote: »
    For the essay you could examine various creative options, their effects & how this effect can be utilised to better convey a message.

This is a very good and interesting angle.

I'm finding a lot of references to culture, iconography and subliminal visual messages on the internet and this is a good example of what is being written.

http://vcj.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/2/3/265

Perhaps looking at postcards would help extend the parameters of your essay, Batman?

They are the most accessible photos any culture has and well worth studying.

The question is "what makes a photo good/bad".

I take it that means we're looking at a series of Photos (end product) and some are good and some are bad, to our eye. So what makes them good or bad.

For me that rules out all kinds of tools. All cameras (including pin hole) can make good photos, even great photos. So too all lenses, all aperatures and all dof (whatever that means). Photography is not that dissimilar to painting and I doubt many would say paint or brushes are what distinguises a good from a bad painting.

Likewise we would rule out the photographer as all photographers are capable of making a good photo, albeit some are probably not capable of making a good photo consistently (though thats a different topic). Also, a good photo may indeed be made by total accident, which indeed may well distinguish photography from painting.

So what does make a good photo then, if all of the above can make a good photo.

Firstly, I think we have to look at who "perceives" a photo to be good. I might think a photo good and you may think it bad, which to my mind firstly says that "the eye of the beholder" has something to do with it. You could go on forever about what influences that "perception" but far too long for here.

Then of course you have "elements" of the photo that can render it good or bad, even both to different people. Things like "atmosphere", "empathy", "composition", "Mood", "Niceness", "grittyness", "clarity", "Mystery", etc. I could probably add another 100 words to that list and that may very well not be exhaustive. These are all personal to the individual and for instance one might perceive a photo good because its "Nice" and another bad because it's "Twee".

Too big a subject to go into in a posting, but thats my "elvenesque" view of the topic. Wouldn't mind to have that essay to do actually.

T.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Surely you'd have to argue it's the viewer's interpretation at some point. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", and all that.

I mean we all know people who like pictures that we don't and vice-versa. You can get very tecnical, but I think you should mention (at least when you're wrapping the essay up), that at the end of the day it's a personal taste issue, shaped by our past experiences, upbringing and culture. - Would an African tribesman find the same beauty in a Lake scene as a busy inner-city busines man would?

Well, that's just my view anyway!

Hope you do well in the essay anyway! good luck!

Thanks to everyone for their help on the topic!

I have to pick five photos and write 300 words on each one and say why they are good photos, and what the photographer did to make them look good.

I then have to select five photos, which I believe are poor photos and explain why it's a poor photo. As a budding journalist, I never pay too much attention to the photography end of things, although I'm starting to!

Thanks to all for their suggestions and help!

I have to pick five photos and write 300 words on each one and say why they are good photos, and what the photographer did to make them look good.

I then have to select five photos, which I believe are poor photos and explain why it's a poor photo.

aah, a bit different than the original post then :pac:

Post up the five bad ones here and you'll get plenty of ideas :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I think doing the Poor Photo's is going to be harder than the Good Photo's.

Good luck

Covey wrote: »
    aah, a bit different than the original post then :pac:

Post up the five bad ones here and you'll get plenty of ideas :D

Yeah sorry for the confusion!! The photos have to be taken from the national dailies, all ten of them. I have several good ones from Gaza and from the inauguration, but finding bad ones isn't quite so easy.

I may try to use local papers as there's always some pretty poor photography on the go there!

Yeah sorry for the confusion!! The photos have to be taken from the national dailies, all ten of them but finding bad ones isn't quite so easy.

Aside from the Times maybe, that should be a piece of cake :)

Advertisement