Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PCA course- help please.

• 22-01-2009 3:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

hi folks. have the dreaded pca in the near future and i was wondering has anyone any tips on getting through it. anything would be helpful. thankyou in advance!!.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MORRI

dont go flat out from the start, pace yourself. Watch the video (might be in the useful links thread) and dont panic it isnt that bad;)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭PC Inwaiting

Go here http://www.psni.police.uk/index/careers/pca-test.htm and watch the video.

It doesn't look too bad, its just the timing which screws you over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭TSG 15

hi folks. have the dreaded pca in the near future and i was wondering has anyone any tips on getting through it. anything would be helpful. thankyou in advance!!.

Have a look at the post I put on the fitness thread around 22 December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 JuiletBravo

i have mine very soon worried too have you done your yet ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Sadie OOO!!!

i have mine very soon worried too have you done your yet ????

Have my test tomorrow....Bricking it!! :o All you can do is try your best. Same as me!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

Have my test tomorrow....Bricking it!! :o All you can do is try your best. Same as me!!
    good luck mate. is your vetting complete is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Griffer2

Good Luck Sadie...!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭given1

best of luck m8t, let me know how you get on!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭goodcopbadcop

Given how are you getting on did your knee ever get the ok?

Dont worry about the Pca anyone unless you are extremely unfit and even then it is achievable as I have seen first hand in Garnerville. Just make sure not to touch the cones or miss any obstacles as this will set you back...

Given how are you getting on did your knee ever get the ok?

Dont worry about the Pca anyone unless you are extremely unfit and even then it is achievable as I have seen first hand in Garnerville. Just make sure not to touch the cones or miss any obstacles as this will set you back...

alryt gcbc!! how you geting on?? i heard your one to fear in garnerville, wont say my source;) got all the clear finally there earlier this month, so just waiting on the phonecall, if i only had missed training that night i probably would have went in with your squad:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭goodcopbadcop

given1 wrote: »
    alryt gcbc!! how you geting on?? i heard your one to fear in garnerville, wont say my source;) got all the clear finally there earlier this month, so just waiting on the phonecall, if i only had missed training that night i probably would have went in with your squad:mad:
    #

u should been a blue then! damn, would of been good meetin u and your knee.

Im one to fear? in what way, who says that.... hope ive not got a bad name :eek:

#

Im one to fear? in what way, who says that.... hope ive not got a bad name :eek:

believe me the knee wasnt a pretty site before the op and mst certainly still not, still waiten on the hair to grow back:D lol well he didnt say you were one to fear but going by the description that was given of you i assumed you would be;)

me too small world

#

believe me the knee wasnt a pretty site before the op and still isnt, still waiten on the hair to grow back:D lol will he actually never said you were one to fear but going by his description of you, i assumed you were;)

p.s his intials go by M*. A, guessed yet?;)

me too small world

best of luck too, should you not be in bed:p

cheers mate . Probably should but wide awake and just watching that PCA vid over and over and over lol

cheers mate . Probably should but wide awake and just watching that PCA vid over and over and over lol

its probably the nerves!!i would dread the thought of having to do it but the feedback on it seems to be that its more than achieveable, so you gota take the postitives out of it!!

totally i am a little nervy.. but nothing i cant make in to positive energy. i have upped my physical performance in the gym which should help, but from the letter i got, the PCA and BMI are both considered but i guess that a fail is still possible at this point.... have no heard of any boardies that have but there is always a first...

totally i am a little nervy.. but nothing i cant make in to positive energy. i have upped my physical performance in the gym which should help, but from the letter i got, the PCA and BMI are both considered but i guess that a fail is still possible at this point.... have no heard of any boardies that have but there is always a first...

if youve prepared yourself m8t go in with every bit of confidence and with that positive energy keep a postitive attitude:) every1 on the board will be rooting for you and sadie ooo tomorow!!!

well folks. did the pca today tuesday. thought it was quite tough and although they did not tell us if we had passed i think ill be saying goodbye next week as i dont think i did well enough to pass. anyone else at the 12 o clock sitting.

• Advertisement

i was there at 12..... and i feel the same dont think what i did was good enough either and have resigned myself to a big fat NO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Penis Eye

did they say when you would find out? just dont count yourself down and out till yuou get that letter!!!

Penis Eye wrote: »
    did they say when you would find out? just dont count yourself down and out till yuou get that letter!!!

No mate they did not say . but i am sure some pencil pusher will put me out of my mysery soon.... i was rubbish knocked things over and almost came to a stop at one point ......thank god it was a private humilation....

but no one asked me to show any id to prove who i was ... i should have sent some on on my half

JB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭squirrel81

No mate they did not say . but i am sure some pencil pusher will put me out of my mysery soon.... i was rubbish knocked things over and almost came to a stop at one point ......thank god it was a private humilation....

but no one asked me to show any id to prove who i was ... i should have sent some on on my half

JB

:p good thinking. Aw, Im sure you wil be fine, fingers crossed for y'all :)

i was there at 12..... and i feel the same dont think what i did was good enough either and have resigned myself to a big fat NO

hey jb. which applicant where you out of curiousity. like to put a name to the face. i was the 2nd in and had white t shirt on. and not a lady either. where you the first one in wearing the rugby top?.

yea i remenber you .I was no. 3 all in navy.I was rubbish I was the colour of a London bus when I finnished and thought I was going to cough up a lung. But not hopeful . Any idea when we find out

JB

im sure yous done grand, all you can do now is suffer the agaonising wait, fingers crossed for yas that yous pass!!!

yea i remenber you .I was no. 3 all in navy.I was rubbish I was the colour of a London bus when I finnished and thought I was going to cough up a lung. But not hopeful . Any idea when we find out

JB

think its 10 days we find out. i never knocked anything over but i burnt myself out in the first two laps and was hammered lap 3. fella just said you done ok and thanks for coming. im honestly in limbo now at the minute cause i havent got a clue if i did well enough. ps given are you going to change your name now to given the turn coat now that he is gone to city. lol.

think its 10 days we find out. i never knocked anything over but i burnt myself out in the first two laps and was hammered lap 3. fella just said you done ok and thanks for coming. im honestly in limbo now at the minute cause i havent got a clue if i did well enough. ps given are you going to change your name now to given the turn coat now that he is gone to city. lol.

thats what i hate about things like that they always leave you shi**ing yourself:(

p.s lol nope he'l allways be a geordie ledge and ill always love him;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭James_UK

Must this only be done if your BMI is over 30 because mine is 20 ;o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

James_UK wrote: »

If someone is deemed to be overweight (BMI over 30) they can be asked to attend a PCA. BMI is only used as a guide though. Muscular people tend have higher BMI's due to the fact that muscle is heavier than fat. It'd be a bit harsh to fail someone for being built like a tank. :eek:

I imagine that if a BMI is considered to be particularly low, the person could be either failed, or asked to attend a PCA.

yes but your also only 16. maybe by the time your finally old enough to start thinkin bout applyin u might have put on a few stone!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭James_UK

Penis Eye wrote: »
    yes but your also only 16. maybe by the time your finally old enough to start thinkin bout applyin u might have put on a few stone!!!

14 my dear :D But I've always been pretty skinny and been told to put on weight... :S

14 my dear :D But I've always been pretty skinny and been told to put on weight... :S

I think what Penis Eye is getting at is that you are way too young to be worrying about your BMI for PSNI recruitment purposes. It'll be about 4 years before you can apply. Most guys don't start bulking up until they're about 16 or 17. Trust me, you'll soon get to the point where your problem is keeping the BMI down. I should know. :rolleyes: :D

My advice to you is to stop worrying about recruitment. Get your education, get some life experience behind you and by the time you apply, everything else (including the BMI) will fall into place.

Chances are that the process could be a lot different in four years time anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭integra1

carlty888 wrote: »
    I think what Penis Eye is getting at is that you are way too young to be worrying about your BMI for PSNI recruitment purposes. It'll be about 4 years before you can apply. Most guys don't start bulking up until they're about 16 or 17. Trust me, you'll soon get to the point where your problem is keeping the BMI down. I should know. :rolleyes: :D

My advice to you is to stop worrying about recruitment. Get your education, get some life experience behind you and by the time you apply, everything else (including the BMI) will fall into place.

Chances are that the process could be a lot different in four years time anyway.

Exactly what I was thinking Sir C! Plenty of time for PSNI recruiment JUK, enjoy being young! We are all stressed enough in here, you chill my man!:D

• Advertisement

got the letter and passed the test. have also passed vetting Aswell. so hopefully now my merit will be good enough to get into training. 850-865. thankyov for all your support and advise also it was greatly appreciated.

niceeeee one chief congrats. im really happen for you lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭surfrunner

got the letter and passed the test. have also passed vetting Aswell. so hopefully now my merit will be good enough to get into training. 850-865. thankyov for all your support and advise also it was greatly appreciated.

Well done mate. Hope the get the call soon. Did they let you know about vetting or didi you call them?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭MustBeCrazy

Well done! All that worrying for nothing thankfully :)
    Hope you get the call soon.

well dun sadie oooooooooooooooooo thats great news. now you have one less thing to worry about you can focus it all on the waiting.

• Advertisement

Congratulations Sadie. I'm sure you're glad to have that off your mind. :D

well done mate nice to know some on in my group got in .Unfortunatly i did not get it and got a dear john at the weekend a bit dissapointed but i did what i could .

good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Ali08

Sorry to hear that JulietBravo. Good luck with campaign 15, not long til its open for applications now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

well done mate nice to know some on in my group got in .Unfortunatly i did not get it and got a dear john at the weekend a bit dissapointed but i did what i could .

good luck

Sorry to hear that J.B, can you appeal it at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭kelso69

Well done! Hopefully that Merit will get you in.

good luck

Sorry to hear that! As already said, give C15 a go!
    Sorry to hear that J.B, can you appeal it at all?

I don't think so as in a way the PCA was an appeal to the medical result, so wouldn't imagine you could appeal an appeal. But look into it to make sure!

hey juliet bravo im really sorry to hear that. i felt really bad when i read it!!!

i can only imagine how ur feelin to have gotten this far to have failed there. well on a brighter note if u can stick through all the hassle and waiting again sure the next campaign is in less than a month!!!

yeah sorry to hear about it. better luck for next year, just gives you a goal to work on and youll be better next time :)

really gutted to see that both of yous didnt pass:(!!! congrats sadie ooo and heads up juliet bravo, take the expierence of the campaign into 15 and hopefully it will be your turn:)

Advertisement