Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stabbing in perth

Options
  • 22-01-2009 5:49am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=77&ContentID=118915

Anyone heard much about this? Any inside info from backpackers? Irish tourists/backpackers always seem to get in the news down here for fights, stabbings, being found in the Yarra etc. Seen Irish people fighting twice in Northbridge, the only 2 times I've gone out there, we're not giving ourselves a good name are we?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Some Irish lads beat the shit out of a bouncer in an Irish Bar in Melbourne (Bridie O'Reilly's in Prahan). Think police are still looking for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

... by the looks of the name, reckon the author of that piece is probably irish too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I heard about stabbings and fights all the time in Knightsbridge when I was there. Lived in Knightsbridge for six weeks the only time we ever seen trouble was on Saturday nights when there seemed to be a lot of young Australians out. Bit like temple bar only younger. Most of the backpackers I knew stayed in on Saturdays (we always just had a party in our hostel). Never seen trouble the other 5 nights of the week I was out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

ye that was around the corner from me. happened last sat nite. obviously a total dickhead. you see a good few scumbags walkin around here tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Ive never seen a city with less police either walking or even driving by than Sydney. Nearly the only place you can regularly see them is when they drop in to check pubs out, I dont think I ever saw any walking the beat like elsewhere.

Lazy and all. A drunk Aussie couple were screaming the place down at each other walking through Kings Cross one night, there was a gang of about 6 cops were they walked by (still screaming) and they didnt say a word!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

shane86 wrote: »
    Lazy and all. A drunk Aussie couple were screaming the place down at each other walking through Kings Cross one night, there was a gang of about 6 cops were they walked by (still screaming) and they didnt say a word!

The screaming couple were probably normal looking compared to some of the sorts that are around Kings Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

the police over here are brilliant i think. very friendly. very efficient. relaxed and calm yes, but once they get going, they're very good. i've seen them coming around our placein sydney daily. the place was always gettin reported for drunken roudyness. had lots of patience with us. but they'd pull us on anything if we acted the bollix. there was one bloke that went a bit mental and whipped out a knife. very soon there was a few lots of police, and an ambulance, which eventually took ur man off for a psyche test i think. but ye, i think they're much better than the irish police.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

The_B_Man wrote: »
    but ye, i think they're much better than the irish police.

I dunno, still rank them as lazy. Can you really imagine Temple Bar (in terms of the concentration of pubs/clubs, comparable to the Cross) being allowed to be full of old alcoholics pissing themselves and causing trouble in the takeaways, junkies openly dealing or getting high, skanky junkie street prostitutes standing in doorways etc etc. They seem to tolerate alot more nonsense over there (I know all of the above happens here, but usually on more off the beaten track backstreets, not smack bang in the middle of tourist areas). There is a pretty classy looking restaurent across the road from the Empire nightclub, and on the street outside all the scobes hang about feet away drinking on the benches. It just wouldnt be tolerated here. I liked my hostel but the cross is one depressing looking kip, particularly in the daytime (oddly alot of the shadier types seem to go elsewhere at night, which is quite odd)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

shane86 wrote: »
    I dunno, still rank them as lazy. Can you really imagine Temple Bar (in terms of the concentration of pubs/clubs, comparable to the Cross) being allowed to be full of old alcoholics pissing themselves and causing trouble in the takeaways, junkies openly dealing or getting high, skanky junkie street prostitutes standing in doorways etc etc. They seem to tolerate alot more nonsense over there (I know all of the above happens here, but usually on more off the beaten track backstreets, not smack bang in the middle of tourist areas). There is a pretty classy looking restaurent across the road from the Empire nightclub, and on the street outside all the scobes hang about feet away drinking on the benches. It just wouldnt be tolerated here. I liked my hostel but the cross is one depressing looking kip, particularly in the daytime (oddly alot of the shadier types seem to go elsewhere at night, which is quite odd)

Na I liked the Sydney Police they where good blokes. Kings cross is a hole and most people go there because there probably looking for something cheap n nasty.

If you cleaned up Kings cross then all those eejits would be spread all over at least in Kings cross they know where they are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

I think the police here are very good. Compared with the gardai they're phenomenal. The gardai are always confrontational and if you're under 30 they may as well not exist because they won't listen to a word you say. Over here I have found them very approachable and reasonable in all of my dealings with them. If somebody gets beaten up/ attacked/ mugged they actually try to do something about it, unlike in Ireland where they always try to discourage you from pursuing anything because they're too lazy to bother filling out a few forms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Aaaaaand, that's about enough sweeping generalisations about areas, regions, police, vicinities, levels of violence and days of the week.

Cheers all and stay safe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement