Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivium thread

Options
  • 22-01-2009 5:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭

Didn't see this in the main thread lists so I decided to start it up myself.

I love Trivium. Corny statement yes, but the truth sounds corny sometimes.

Travis Smith is one of the most amazing drummers in history. Cory shreads like a beast and Matt is the creative genius that brought them all together. Couple that with a heavy and fast baseline from Paolo and you got yourself a nice little track to dance along to, or get whiplash from headbanging so much:).

Matt Heafy is a legend as far as I'm concerned. He writes the riffs so heavy and awesome and then it'll come to the melodic softer parts and it's just beautiful, like.

Ascendancy is an utter materpiece and Ember to Inferno is one of the most awesome debuts I've ever heard.

More later...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

I only know 1 song by them which i had on my ipod which was 'shotgun wound to the head of trepida' (i think thats right)

I love it, the solos, the riffs, the vocals, but im afraid almost to get any more of their stuff as i reckon i could get very childlike and embarrassing.......well that and i kinda forgot about them there too.

Must check out more of their stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

cianl1 wrote: »
    Didn't see this in the main thread lists so I decided to start it up myself....

You didn't see one because I would imagine that most people in a Rock and Metal thread wouldn't want one. If Trivium are the future of Metal then I'm jumping off the train before Conductor Ulrich comes to make sure we are all paying for our tickets.
    I love Trivium. Corny statement yes...

At one point Trivium played in Dublin about 6 times in 18 months (2 sets of Ambassador 2 night dates as headliners, an Iron Maiden support and I believe a single night again in support to someone at the Ambassador) and I was witness to all those gigs. They're not too bad live but I wouldn't pay for an album because they're not the studio band. I might illegally download one imo
    Matt Heafy is a legend as far as I'm concerned...

You are entitled to your opinion but you are wrong. Matt Heafy is a prat. He once told fans at a Machine Head concert that his band represented the old school, which ticked Robb Flynn off so much, he shouted at a kid who was giving him abuse (yes, thats right, some 12yr old at a Machine Head gig with Trivium in support was abusing Rob Flynn!) that the old school didn't start with Trivium....it was quite classic, I have the bootleg somewhere. I just think some of Trivium's fans have this idea that they have restarted something in the Metal genre and I don't agree, they're just another average band.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I thought they were ok, a guilty little pleasure you could even call them. But yer mans vocals started to grind after a while, but the riffs and solos were top quality. Drumming wasn't half bad either.

I picked up Ascendancy for about €15 and I wasn't dissapointed.
    Middle of the road metal but good nonetheless.

Then all of this crazy touring started, I saw them once during that six show period and I thought they were awful. It felt like they had been exposed as an over-produced studio only band. Then stories started circulating about ego trips they were all having, followed by a touring schedule that would give Metalllica or RHCP a run for their money.

I gave a listen to The Crusade, and it was so bad that I didn't even put it on my ipod.
    It really was like the nose dived a turd onto a cd, and I can only imagine in their arrogance, expected the world to lap it up.
    I mean, everyone has heard their song The Anthem (we are the fire), and I'm sure everyone cringed when they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Its OC metal but I like it, especially yee-aaah yee-aaah ye-aaawwwrrrhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Its OC metal but I like it, especially yee-aaah yee-aaah ye-aaawwwrrrhhh

Hahaha ! :D

They have one or two alright songs, just can't stand the hetfield like vocals and the massive egos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

What's OC metal?

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

I think Ascendency is awesome, the res tof their stuff is not great, nothing special. I thought Ascendency had some great moments on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

What's OC metal?
    I was about to ask the same question. Anyone know what it is?

As for Trivium, I was at Download 2005 where they were the first band to play on the Saturday. I was quite impressed with the energy of their performance considering it was 11:30am and I was very hungover. When I got Ascendancy I quite liked it. Their recent releases haven't done it for me though and I saw them in concert a couple of years ago in Dublin and they really seemed like they were plodding along, going through the motions.
    I mean, everyone has heard their song The Anthem (we are the fire), and I'm sure everyone cringed when they did.
    I certainly did :). Maybe they peaked too early?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

What's OC metal?
    Old school metal?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭RHRN

I went to see them on the first night of the Crusade tour. Definitely the most disappointing album so far. They only played the Rising (the only song I really liked) and Anthem (lolno). Shogun was a good return to a good Trivium though (god that sounds stupid...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Orange County metal ie the type of metal that characters in the OC would listen to, if they were to listen to metal

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Ascendancy and Ember To Inferno were quite enjoyable at the time, but I'm not really into any of their other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Dante

Ascendancy and Ember To Inferno were quite enjoyable at the time, but I'm not really into any of their other stuff.

I completely agree

Ember to Inferno = Class
    Ascendancy = Class
    The Crusade = ****
    Shogun = **** but not as bad as The Crusade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭cianl1

Nah I kinda disagree...slightly.

I do get where you're coming from, when I first got it didn't think it was anything special, but it started growing on me. Still no where near the quality of the first two though, no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I dunno, I quite like them, went off them a good bit a while back, but i quite like them.

They were the first band I ever went to see, so they'll always have that, damn good gig too.

I was actually referring to the album, if you look at the first post you'd see my stance on the band themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I saw one of those interpretation videos of their song 'Pull Harder on the Strings of your Martyr' or whatever the hell it was called. It was god awful. Can't believe they're allowed pollute the airwaves with tripe like that.

I do love a bit of debate.:rolleyes:

Old school metal?
    Maybe it's Over Clocked Metal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 ForTheLoveOf_Fi

trivium. im quite un decided. ascendency was amazing, i picked up the album cheap and was very pleased. i love songs 'dying in your arms' and 'pull harder..'. but wen 'anthem(we are the fire)' came out it was a different thing altoggether! the crusade was so bad! while i admire them for pushing the boundries and trying new things, it hardly paid off. i know there newer stuff now but i cannot comment as i have not heard it first hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

seen them at the ambassador a few years ago,all the kids i work with were raving about them. tbh they were good live but to my ears they would be better as a metallica/maiden cover band(both bands they've apparently been influenced by).

got a loan of that "pull harder ......." album and it didn't do anything for me.

i'd call them a mickey mouse band(they're from orlando i believe):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

saw them in the ambassador a while back.. apart from the crusade (which was rubbish) they arent that bad ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Snake Pliisken

Max Power1 wrote: »
    saw them in the ambassador a while back.. apart from the crusade (which was rubbish) they arent that bad ;)

They're in your favourites list in the other thread....

The Crusade was them trying way to hard, it just didnt work.
    I still like their other albums but Matt is no lyricist, Ember... has some good lyrics on it but the rest is uninspired tripe, only made more obvious when he doesn't scream.

Two of my fave guitarists in the biz though, Travis needs to learn how to play live, goes way ahead of himself sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Mattallica

You didn't see one because I would imagine that most people in a Rock and Metal thread wouldn't want one. If Trivium are the future of Metal then I'm jumping off the train before Conductor Ulrich comes to make sure we are all paying for our tickets.

At one point Trivium played in Dublin about 6 times in 18 months (2 sets of Ambassador 2 night dates as headliners, an Iron Maiden support and I believe a single night again in support to someone at the Ambassador) and I was witness to all those gigs. They're not too bad live but I wouldn't pay for an album because they're not the studio band. I might illegally download one imo

You are entitled to your opinion but you are wrong. Matt Heafy is a prat. He once told fans at a Machine Head concert that his band represented the old school, which ticked Robb Flynn off so much, he shouted at a kid who was giving him abuse (yes, thats right, some 12yr old at a Machine Head gig with Trivium in support was abusing Rob Flynn!) that the old school didn't start with Trivium....it was quite classic, I have the bootleg somewhere. I just think some of Trivium's fans have this idea that they have restarted something in the Metal genre and I don't agree, they're just another average band.

It's kinda retarded to say that you're entitled to you're opinion. but you're wrong, because then it's not an opinion... ****ing idiot! And yes, i know the post was ages ago, but your retardedness seems to stand the test of time

Mattallica wrote: »
    It's kinda retarded to say that you're entitled to you're opinion. but you're wrong, because then it's not an opinion... ****ing idiot! And yes, i know the post was ages ago, but your retardedness seems to stand the test of time
    I'm not sure why you bothered to register just to abuse a poster over something they wrote over a year and a half ago. Please be aware that per the charter, personal attacks are not allowed. The general guideline on Boards is to attack the post, not the poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Mattallica

Malice_ wrote: »
    I'm not sure why you bothered to register just to abuse a poster over something they wrote over a year and a half ago. Please be aware that per the charter, personal attacks are not allowed. The general guideline on Boards is to attack the post, not the poster.

Sorry bout that!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Trivium :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

actually i thought shogun was an excellent album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Max Power1 wrote: »
    This was my opinion a year and a half ago, and Im standing by that.

• Advertisement

I still want to know what OC metal is!

Advertisement