Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site Layout

• 22-01-2009 10:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭

I have worked in various offices and all have different drawing procedures but something that always fascinated me was the site layouts for planning permission.

Previously I always outlined to the centre line of the road red on the site layout and site location map and outlined the red in blue on the site location map.

Now I have to just outline the site to the edge of the road (IMO its more accurate to determine the centre line of the road than the edge on OS maps). How do the rest of yous do it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Edge of the road here Slig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

Edge of road here.
    I have done it to centre of road in cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Centre of road, just like a Land Registry map.
    Much easier to determine position of centre of the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

interresting, there doesnt seem to be any set way.
    It does bring up the question of site area. I have never had an application invalidated because of either method.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I suppose thats why I do it to the centre of the road, seems logical as thats the way the only other Government body /legal standard require it(Land Registry / Law Society).

So it wasn't a huge leap for Planning Application.

I'm not sure where marking to the edge of road came from. I assume it has some logical history. Interesting...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Generally the edge of the road here, except when its a privately owned road then its to the center for planning, on land registery maps normally to the center, you could of course use the center of the road for planning particurarly where the site area would be a bit small otherwise!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

If Land Registry maps available I follow them to the centre of the road, if they are not available then just to the edge. The area I always put to the fence not including the raod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

Normally for a house to the edge of the site boundary rather than the centre of the road. With large houses we would only outline what's within the cartilage of the house and the access to the house in red and the rest would be outlined in blue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,270 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Roadside boundary of site which in my case would usually be a hedgerow for a site in a rural location.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

for me its the site boundary for one simple reason.

You are asked on the application form for the site area.

The CDP usually requests a minimum site area, and defines it as being land occupied.

Therefore if the min site area is 0.5 acres and i show 0.5 acres to the centre of road, then obviously the land occupied is not meeting the minimum requirement.

It keeps everything clear to everyone, from planner, to client, to landowner etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Around the boundaries or the site as they physically appear on the ground - fence / wall / (near side) edge of ditch .

The site location map , and site layout map submitted for planning do not purport to define the extent of the site .

now completely different story when preparing maps for land reg or similar documents . Then maps are prepared by certified original little deed maps supplied by a solicitor . Sometimes a site will comprise two or more parcels of land which you have to "composite" to determine the overall holding . Often , not always , the boundary in this context , extends to a road c/ l .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

sydthebeat wrote: »

The CDP usually requests a minimum site area, and defines it as being land occupied.

Therefore if the min site area is 0.5 acres and i show 0.5 acres to the centre of road, then obviously the land occupied is not meeting the minimum requirement.

It keeps everything clear to everyone, from planner, to client, to landowner etc.

Agree here. It makes more sense to me for your site boundaries to be as they are phisically on the site. Also, although unlikely, the centre of the road is liable to change if the road is widened on one side.

There are also alot of cases where the ownership does not extend to the centre of the road such as when it adjoins a newly constructed road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭DvB

sydthebeat wrote: »

Agree, i've always done it this way, even for land registry maps (scheme map for example) I (or we as all the offices i've worked in have done the same) take it to the edge of the individual physical site boundary, if the carriageway, verge & footpath are to be taken in charge by the local authority or a management company its much easier for legal transfer maps later on. Have never indicated a site boundary to the centreline of a road, not to the best of my memory anyway.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Advertisement