Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bitch has not come into heat since accident/shock?

• 22-01-2009 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

(I have also posted this on another board looking for advice)

A friend of mine has a 7 year old springer bitch. He had a very bad accident, witnessed by the dog 2 years ago. Without going into details, she basically saved his life but didn't see him for 3 weeks while he was in hospital and probably had given him up for dead.

As she is a really special dog, and also from a very good line, he would like to breed her. However she has not come into heat, maybe with one short exception, since the accident. Can shock bring this on, or is it anything to do with her age?

I told him I would enquire on this board to see if anyone can help or knows. The vet just said "Oh its probably just one of those things".
    Are there any tests or examinations that can be done?
    And just aside, is 7 too old for a first litter?
    Thanks for all help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

Hi OP,
    The IKC's code of ethics states that a bitch should not be bred if she is over 8 years of age. Being honest, 7 seems quite old- she is at least middle aged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

For a first time 7 years is too old to bred. I would also get the bitch checked out medically by a vet ie scan bloods.

I dont want to scare you but my dogs mother died giving pups ( mother was 4 years old it was her second litter).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Harris

I am inclined to agree that she is too old. Also, she is so special to him that I don't think he would take ANY chance or risk with her health. It has obviously not happened for a reason so who are any of us to interfere with nature. She came from a very good line and breeder in Kilkenny so I am sure he could get a pup that is related to her.
    Thanks for help and advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I'd love to hear the story of how she saved your friend's life! :)

Are you allowed to tell it to us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Harris

I will check with him and then PM you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Can you tell me too? I'd love to hear. Maybe he wouldn't mind if you posted it on the forum? I'm sure loads of people would love to hear the story.

I'm always amazed at the lengths animals will go for the people they love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Graceland

I'd love to hear the story as well.

Advertisement