Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart sucks, Digiweb rulez!

Options
  • 22-01-2009 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi

I had Digiweb Metro for 3 years in Limerick - brilliant service.

Moved to Dublin, got Smart Telecom because Digi is not in the area.

And it sucks! Connection gets interrupted every 1h, have to wait another 5-15min for it to reset. Complaint 100 times. They did nothing, only sending me emails saying the reset my profile. I said, I am leaving them, so they organised an engineer to come today to check it, finally. Those people have no sense of customer care.

Will keep you informed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Must be interference, faulty line or unfiltered gadget/phone in your house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭DJ Alex Black

It's broadband dude :)

Phone has nothing to do with it.
    The quality of line is determined by the local exchange. Exchange is new and perfectly working, eircom assured me it has nothing to do with cables or switches.

Smart says, I am located far from them so signal gets weak. So they shouldn't even provide broadband if they can't supply it on that distance.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Unbearable wrote: »
    It's broadband dude :)

Phone has nothing to do with it.
    The quality of line is determined by the local exchange. Exchange is new and perfectly working, eircom assured me it has nothing to do with cables or switches.

Smart says, I am located far from them so signal gets weak. So they shouldn't even provide broadband if they can't supply it on that distance.

The quality of the line is determined by itself so to speak the local exchange has nothing go to do with it.

It sounds like you have snr issues. Smart have an excellent support forum and the lads there will look at tweaking the line and doing their best for people. The service there is second to none. On the other hand the customer support side of Smart does vary sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It comes on phone line. A phone ot fax or Skydigibox or PhoneWatch without good DSL filter will disrupt it. I wasn't suggesting that you are using an old style modem for analogue POTS. (DSL modems use analogue too but at much higher frequencies)

A special filter separates the analogue phone fuctions and DSL functions. It's EXTREMELY common for interuptions to be caused by items connected to the phone line in the house.

Distance mainly limits speed. Disconnections are interference, lack of home filters or faulty equipment, more often at home than the exchange.

Smart are excellent and provide uncontented BB.

Watty is correct.

• Advertisement

Thanks lads for indepth comments
    I am using smart thompsom modem

• Registered Users Posts: 28 stephenc_ie

If you hop on to their support forums the tech's may let you know specifics on your account:

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/index.php

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Sounds like an issue in your house to be honest, Smart are usually on the ball when it comes to profile changes and if its the case that you are still disconnecting it has likely more to do with faulty/no filters or something connected to the phoneline like a sky box than a problem at smarts end or a problem with the last mile.

it will also depend on your distance from the exchange...

there are a lot of factors that can influence your DSL signal.

quick checklist of some that you can and can't influence:

- distance to the exchange
    - protocol
    - in-house interference (electrical / DECT phones)
    - in-house interference (line - alarm/sky box)
    - splitters
    - junction points in the house
    - junction points in roadside cabinets
    - junction points inside the exchange
    - quality of the copper
    - rainfall in the area

do the best that you can with what you can influence.

S.

One problem solved - outgoing SMTP server.

The disconnection problems yet has to be evaluated. An engineer installed a splitter:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

One problem solved - outgoing SMTP server.

The disconnection problems yet has to be evaluated. An engineer installed a splitter:)

But is the splitter a filter ? If so, the engineer that you "smilied" at is on the ball.

The slitter splits phone and broadbnd signal. It reduces the speed slightly because it splits the bandwidth giving broadband a portion of it. They recommended not using it initially so that I have better speeds.

The slitter splits phone and broadbnd signal. It reduces the speed slightly because it splits the bandwidth giving broadband a portion of it. They recommended not using it initially so that I have better speeds.

A splitter is a frequency filter.
    It has 2 outputs:
    - one for the phone handset (lower frequencies)
    - one for the modem (higher frequencies)

DSL uses the higher frequencies of the phone line to communicate.
    Without a splitter any phone calls will interfere with the DSL signal causing it to error, or even drop completely.

Installing a splitter in the house lessens the interference that the modem will receive which, in theory, improves the quality of signal.
    It does not effect the speed of the DSL modem.

How far are you from your exchange?
    That's the ultimate factor in how good a signal you can get.

S.

Thanks for info.

It looks like Smart was telling me stories from the very 1st day using my lack of knowledge.

They said I am relatively far from an exchange.

With splitter dsl signal was interrupted only once after installing it. Monitoring it today, but it looks like what you just said about filtering, is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Hi there - you should use a splitter. Sincere apologies if you were told otherwise.

Any more problems either PM me directly or post on our forums - will do all we can to help. The forums will work you to get the best speed for the distance from the exchange using different interleaving and profile settings etc.

Sure

Looks ok for now

Advertisement