Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Darkroom question

• 22-01-2009 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi,

I was thinking about taking up photography as a hobby. At the moment I have a digital camera, the pics I take look good on the LCD viewer but when I print out the pics the quality is not the best, due to crappy printer or maybe crap camera.

Anyway I was thinking about getting a camera that you put film in and then developing them in a dark room. Is that something that would be possible for a total amateur or would I just be wasting my time.
    Is it a complicated process and how expensive would it be to setup my own Darkroom?
    What would be a decent type of camera to start off with as well.?

Any advice is really appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Easily done, unless you want to start printing, you don't even need a darkroom. You can grab a light proof bag from most decent camera shops called a darkbag, from there, it's a matter of popping the film out of the canister and on to a spool, before popping it in to a light proof tank, from there, you can do the rest from your shower or bath!

You can just scan the results from here, and print them digitally.

If you wanted, you could pick up a decent second hand film SLR on eBay, and work from that.

The process itself isn't that complicated, though it may seem so when you start. After a while, you'll be flying through film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

It's not at all complicated to process your own film, or print your own photo's but I'm thinking by the time you have your darkroom set up it might be edging on the expensive side, it might be worth your while looking into a DSLR it could quite possibly work out cheaper in the long run.

I'm not even sure where you'd go to buy an enlarger, in a bricks'n'mortar in Ireland. ebay might be your best option.

as for a film SLR, have a wander into Conns or Gunns (in Dublin)and have a chat with some of the sales reps. you could probably pick one for around the €45 €50 mark secondhand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Maybe, before you go down that route at all we can investigate what you feel is crappy about your prints. What camera do you have ? What printer ? Do you have examples online of any shots you've taken ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Where are you located? (I really wish people would fill that out or post it)

Anyway .... I assume you are talking about Black & White. As said above, to develop you film can be done easily at home.

Setting up a Darkroom can be a bit more fun. It's ussually easier & cheaper to use one that is already set up. This will depend on your location. Dublin Camera Club have two darkrooms for use by members. You could check other camera clubs & see if they have something similar. Not only does this give you use of the equipment, there will also be people around to help you to print.

Printing in the darkroom is a bit magic. Wish I had more time to do some. Soon .... soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭thefizz

If you would like to learn how to develop film and make prints in a Darkroom then you are welcome to attend a Beginner's Darkroom workshop I will be teaching in Dublin on Saturday 21st February. It would give you a feel for the process before you go buying gear etc.

Peter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭chiliconparmi

Hi,

Thanks for the responses. I’m located in Tallaght, Dublin. I was thinking colour and black and white photos.

The digital camera I currently have is a Fujifilm FinePix s6500fd. On my PC the pics look really good but when I print them the look pixilated. I don’t have a printer myself but have tried printing on one of the photosmart printers, think it was a HP. I don’t have any pics on this PC, I’m in work, when I get home Ill post some pics to show the quality.

thefizz, do you have details on this course, the location and price etc, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭thefizz

The workshop is run in Airfield Trust in Dundrum. All the details can be found on our web site at www.fpworkshops.com

Let me know if I can help.

Peter

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The Fujifilm FinePix S6500fd is a good camera.

If you are going down the Film route I would not advise doing colour. It's quite advanced & very expensive for the home, Black & White is the way to go.

What quality are the pictures you are taking? You camera will take various quality jpeg as well as RAW. You are best shooting at as high a quality as possible. To really get the best out of your system RAW is advised but you need to work on the images a bit more.

You will find out that there is a lot that goes into getting a good quality print. Assuming that your file is OK, the next thing is the printer has to be capable of the quality you are looking to achieve. The Paper & Ink need to be correct & the software has to be set to reflect what is loaded into the printer.

Lots to learn, but it's all good fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭chiliconparmi

Not sure how to check any of that. I know what a jpeg is but I don’t know how to set it on the camera. I just have the dial on auto. There is a good macro setting on it, I messed around with that a few times.

What software would you recommend, Photoshop? Or would that be too complicated.

Is it possible to print digital photos that look as good as developed photos. If it is then maybe I’m looking at this the wrong way, instead of buying darkroom equipment I could buy a good quality printer, Ink and paper. As I already have a digital camera.

It is possible to get very high quality from both Film & Digital.

May I suggest that at this stage you don't buy a printer. If you want to improve the quality of your work you will get the most out of learning how to use the camera you have. It is a very good camera you have & really good to learn about photography. There is an exciting world out there when you venture away from 'Auto'

I would suggest you read the manual & ask here about things you don't understand. There are a lot of very helpful people who post here. When you have photo's you want printed then the easiest, and cheapest, option is to have them printed online. You will get advice here as to where to send them.

If you want to get hands on help then you may consider joining a camera club. Tallaght has an active club & I am sure you will be welcome as a visitor there. If not there are others around that may suit you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

CabanSail wrote: »
    The Fujifilm FinePix S6500fd is a good camera.

If you are going down the Film route I would not advise doing colour. It's quite advanced & very expensive for the home, Black & White is the way to go.

What quality are the pictures you are taking? You camera will take various quality jpeg as well as RAW. You are best shooting at as high a quality as possible. To really get the best out of your system RAW is advised but you need to work on the images a bit more.

You will find out that there is a lot that goes into getting a good quality print. Assuming that your file is OK, the next thing is the printer has to be capable of the quality you are looking to achieve. The Paper & Ink need to be correct & the software has to be set to reflect what is loaded into the printer.

Lots to learn, but it's all good fun.

The buffer cant handel raw too well on that fuji..... You will wait about 3-5 seconds between each shot for the buffer to clear which i find is a pain in the backside

Advertisement