Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC - Future Upgrades

Options
  • 22-01-2009 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Had an engineer out today as my service was kinda sketchy. Turns out the contract installation guys had installed the modem on the wrong point, was told by the engineer that he was surprised we were getting any service at all.

Anyway to the point after he was finished had a little chat with him and he mentioned that UPC are definitly planning to upgrade their network to provide at least a 100Mb service and that in the coming weeks there is going to be an upgrade to 50Mb for those on 20Mb. No mention what the lower packages will be upgraded to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Really hope this is true :D

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

50MB!!!!!!!!!And I thought i was in heaven on 20MB....sweet jesus...terrible customer support, but as long as it doesn't break, what a product!

Have read there planning 50MB early this year and 100MB by late 09/10.

So that would tie in with what you are saying.

I wonder though 50MB as on virgin in the uk is on a new version Docsis3.0, which require new modems, but i believe it is even possible to reach 50MB on newer Docsis1.0 modems.

Wonder will they be swapping modems or just pushing current ones to there limits.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

lambchops wrote: »
    Had an technician out today as my service was kinda sketchy. Turns out the contract installation guys had installed the modem on the wrong point, was told by the engineer that he was surprised we were getting any service at all..
    FYP. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

God ****ing dammit! UPC I will wait only so long before I destroy your back haul.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

i'm a new customer with upc and the speeds that speedtest are showing are ridiculous

395482198.png
    395482926.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    i'm a new customer with upc and the speeds that speedtest are showing are ridiculous

395482198.png
    395482926.png

WTF try download this file and tell me the speed http://ftp.esat.net/pub/linux/debian-cd/4.0_r6/alpha/iso-cd/debian-40r6-alpha-CD-7.iso

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Such a slow upload speed... :confused:

I've tried heanet for an ubuntu download ,usually its around 2.2mb - 2.5mb

I've tried heanet for an ubuntu download ,usually its around 2.2mb - 2.5mb

Holy crap have u rebooted your modem recently? and what part of dublin u in?

• Advertisement

had to turn off the modem a couple of times due to errors with routers and stuff. haven't had it off for a few days now ,modem has two phone ports on it aswell.

had to turn off the modem a couple of times due to errors with routers and stuff. haven't had it off for a few days now ,modem has two phone ports on it aswell.

When did the speed change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭rh555

Download speed of 2.5MByte/sec is 20Mbit connection which I assume he has. To get speeds over 30Mbit on cable u need DOCSIS 3 modem which I am guessing he doesn't have because I don't believe UPC is issuing these as of yet. On a normal DOCSIS 2 modem these speeds are impossible and therefore clearly wrong.

I read that Speedtest.net sometimes gives crazy results and I guess thats the case here.

If you have a router attached to a cable modem it can give false speeds, ie local network speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

And the jpeg he's attached showing a download speed of 3.9MB/s?

cisk wrote: »
    If you have a router attached to a cable modem it can give false speeds, ie local network speeds.

thats what i was thinking myself ,some sort of internal loop. at the moment it's modem - wifi router - lan router.
    any tests i've done have been done on the lan router ,so it's probably that.

getting loads of lags today ,never get dropped or disconnected just unresponsive. not familiar with these things because my eircom connection never gave any trouble.
    might have to buy a linksys router as mentioned in other threads.

Yep you cant go wrong with Cisco mate routers :)

rh555 wrote: »
    Download speed of 2.5MByte/sec is 20Mbit connection which I assume he has. To get speeds over 30Mbit on cable u need DOCSIS 3 modem which I am guessing he doesn't have because I don't believe UPC is issuing these as of yet. On a normal DOCSIS 2 modem these speeds are impossible and therefore clearly wrong.

I read that Speedtest.net sometimes gives crazy results and I guess thats the case here.

And im guessing you are wrong you can get alot more the 30Mbit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS#Speed_Table

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Cow Moolester

I posted this a couple days ago here!

UPC rang saying that the lines in my area had been upgraded and that since I'm on a 20mb package I will be upgraded to the new speeds for free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

And im guessing you are wrong you can get alot more the 30Mbit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS#Speed_Table

Aye, DOCSIS 2.0 lets you get about 38Mbps raw data throughput. That's only if you're the only one on your cable segment using their connection at that time. So the HEAnet speed is possible. Speedtest one's are a bit crazy though!

UPC will need to go DOCSIS 3.0 though to get achievable 40Mbps packages, if that's what's coming in. Otherwise, everyone will be sharing that ~38Mbps of throughput on the segment. Contention will take on a whole new meaning! Two 40Mbps subscribers will only get 20Mbps average when the two of them are downloading at the same time :D:eek:

Either that or they're going to have to give a channel to each 40Mbps subscriber using v2.0, totally unfeasable.

• Advertisement

Well he was still wrong lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

We're to cheap to pay the extra €10 EUR a month to get 20Mbps so I hope we get upgraded to 20Mbps when they start upgrading! Might actually pay the extra €10 EUR if that means getting 38Mbps (or even 50Mbps with a new modem/router)!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well in the Netherlands, UPC has 120mb/10mb BB for just €80 per month!!!
    24mb/2.5mb for just €30

http://www.upc.nl/internet/

Once UPC start going over 20mb for these prices, Eircom are f$%ked :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

bk wrote: »
    Well in the Netherlands, UPC has 120mb/10mb BB for just €80 per month!!!
    24mb/2.5mb for just €30

http://www.upc.nl/internet/

Once UPC start going over 20mb for these prices, Eircom are f$%ked :D
    That appears to be a fibre connection not the stadard cable they use here.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lambchops

I posted this a couple days ago here!

UPC rang saying that the lines in my area had been upgraded and that since I'm on a 20mb package I will be upgraded to the new speeds for free
    I remember seing your post about getting the phone call about the upgrades! I was talking to one of thier own engineers who lives where he can't get ntl! and even he seemed exited about their upgrades because of what he could eventually get in his area when they go live where his lives!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

That appears to be a fibre connection not the stadard cable they use here.

I checked that, it is EuroDOCSIS 3.0 not Fiber To The Home (of course being cable it is a Hybrid Fibre Coax network with Fibre to the Node), they only use Fiber in the name as a marketing thing, just like Virgin Media (previously NTL) does in the UK.

Basically their products entitled "Fiber Power" use DOCSIS 3 modems, while the other products, without "Fiber Power" in their name, use DOCSIS 2 modems.

http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/irol/19/191835/news/091508.pdf

Cool to see what we might get down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭garytuohy

they were checking lines around clonshaugh and I asked and they said they were upgrading!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭J_Dublin15

For sure they are not shaping torrents right now, thats all I am going to say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I never thought I would say this, but I actually don't know what I am going to do with anymore bandwidth. I am on 20Mb atm. I have run out of things that I want to download. At this stage I download a movie( legally of course ;) ) every once and awhile, and a beta or demo of a game whenever a decent one comes out. Everything else I do could be easily done on a 6 Mb line.

Untill decent TV channels start appearing online I Don't really think I am actually getting much of an advantage from my 20 Mb connection. Anyone feeling the same as me ?

P.S Don't get me wrong, its great to see them constantly upping their game, 5 months ago before I had the 20Mb connection I would have been extactic about the upgrades. As it is at the moment though, its simply nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I know what you mean. I'd considered downgrading my 20Mbps but just can't bare to let it go. I'd probably be the same with 50 too!

Advertisement