Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Problem with Rafa Benitez...

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

just out of interest

is Rafa buying any bright youngsters
    18-20 yrs or even younger

Lauri Dalla-Valle - 17 year old Finnish kid, just been called up to their senior side for a friendly (albeit it's basically an A squad)
    Daniel Pacheco - 18 year old signed from Barcelona. Played in several pre-season friendlies last year.
    Kriztian Nemeth - 20 year old Hungarian under 21 international (13 goals in 8 matches at that level)

are probably the three most likely to make it here, but there are numerous other talented players in the reserve and youth teams (Nathan Ecclestone, Damien Plessis, David Amoo).
    Insua and El Zhar have been the first to really break through, though i doubt El Zhar has a future here, Insua certainly does and hopefully he's the first of many who'll break through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i just had to thank one of NTLbells post :( i feel horrible.
    i cant believe it

NTL you should put that quote in your sig:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Lauri Dalla-Valle - 17 year old Finnish kid, just been called up to their senior side for a friendly (albeit it's basically an A squad)
    Daniel Pacheco - 18 year old signed from Barcelona. Played in several pre-season friendlies last year.
    Kriztian Nemeth - 20 year old Hungarian under 21 international (13 goals in 8 matches at that level)

are probably the three most likely to make it here, but there are numerous other talented players in the reserve and youth teams (Nathan Ecclestone, Damien Plessis, David Amoo).
    Insua and El Zhar have been the first to really break through, though i doubt El Zhar has a future here, Insua certainly does and hopefully he's the first of many who'll break through.

You're a better man than me, I wouldn't have the patience to give a full and complete answer to that question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I'm not a Liverpool fan however....

Villa are fourth, and they are doing WONDERFUL! Liverpool are third and are doing quite well too, they're only third on goal difference. And 2 points behind the leaders, but do have a game in hand.

Anything above fourth for Liverpool is a good result! This is probably the hardest league in the world and you're still in the race. Remember who your opposition is, Manchester United. The World Club Champions, European Champions, and the Premiership winners. It seems to me that anything other than coming first is not good enough. If you compare yourself to Man Utd today, you will always lose.

Sure Rafa has made some questionable decisions, but have some faith in him. No manager can be expected to win straight away. Look at Fergie. Mourinho is different, Ranieri signed a lot of his players and he had millions to spend.

What's the solution? Stick with him, or get a new manager? Keep sacking everyone who doesn't bring the PL to Anfield? Man Utd went 3 years without winning it, but the fans and board stuck with him and eventually, they got it again.

Even IF Man Utd/Chelsea win the PL again, you have next year to build upon. Every season Liverpool gradually improve. If you do win it, everyone who doubted him should strip off, walk down Grafton Street, singing You'll Never Walk Alone, and posting it on Boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

i just had to thank one of NTLbells post :( i feel horrible.

I feel violated..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

IvySlayer wrote: »
    What's the solution? Stick with him, or get a new manager?

No choice, he will be off in the summer, if not before.

Boggles wrote: »
    No choice, he will be off in the summer, if not before.

stated like a fact.

Where is he going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

IvySlayer wrote: »
    strip off, walk down Grafton Street, singing You'll Never Walk Alone, and posting it on Boards.

I think that's already been done by Mr Alan

stated like a fact.

Where is he going?

Madrid Fhact!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Unearthly wrote: »
    I think that's already been done by Mr Alan

i'd never do that.

its a Utd song dontcha know! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

The man is delusional as Fergie said he's 'demented' now. It's like he spent all of his time over the summer listening to the worst of the worst Liverpool fans and Run_to_da_hills types and cooked up conspiracy theories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Ferguson calling anyone demented is hilarious beyond belief.

Ferguson calling anyone demented is hilarious beyond belief.

He called him disturbed not demented. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Is Arsene Wenger gonna get even half the abuse that Rafa gets here or in the media??? He's won nothing in five years, had Van Persie had on the bench, are in serious danger of not qualifying for the Champions League, yet it's Rafa who's getting stick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

monkey9 wrote: »
    Is Arsene Wenger gonna get even half the abuse that Rafa gets here or in the media??? He's won nothing in five years, had Van Persie had on the bench, are in serious danger of not qualifying for the Champions League, yet it's Rafa who's getting stick

Difference is, Wenger has spent a pittance compared to Rafa.

Had Wenger had the silly money to spend that Rafa has, I think Arsenal would be right up there ala their period from '98-'04.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Silly question but would you swap Rafa for Wenger ?

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

At various stages throughout the the last 4 years, I would have - for varying reasons..

Saying that, he has done very little, certainly nothing as significant as winning the CL, in the last 3 or 4 seasons to show that he would be more capable than Rafa. Ultimately, I am very happy with how Rafa has done and I am very confident that he will improve on his achievements.

Charlie wrote: »

Had Wenger had the silly money to spend that Rafa has, I think Arsenal would be right up there ala their period from '98-'04.

Silly money? Give me a break.

20 million a season

No, i wouldn't. I'm one of the few, it seems, that is still behind Rafa and believe that he can bring the league title to the club.
    Not that i don't rate Wenger or anything

I don't think Rafa has had 'silly money'. Certainly not for a club which has expectations on it to be challenging for league titles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

No, i wouldn't. I'm one of the few, it seems, that is still behind Rafa and believe that he can bring the league title to the club.

not at all i think every united fan on the planet is 100% behind raffa and hope his contract is extended to infinity tbh

I don't think Rafa has had 'silly money'. Certainly not for a club which has expectations on it to be challenging for league titles

correct. Biscan, Traore, Diao, Unhappy Owen/Gerrard + 20 mill a season does not equal champions

Silly money? Give me a break.

20 million a season

In comparison to Wenger, I would say he has spent silly money. Just look at the turnover rate of players he buys. Very wasteful imo.

In comparison to Wenger, I would say he has spent silly money. Just look at the turnover rate of players he buys. Very wasteful imo.

Ah yeah, compared to Wenger. But even if Wenger has money available to him, will he spend it?? I'm not sure about how much he has. It looks they're getting Arshavin, so he obviously has funds. I just think he's obsessed with the economics of it all

Ah yeah, compared to Wenger. But even if Wenger has money available to him, will he spend it?? I'm not sure about how much he has. It looks they're getting Arshavin, so he obviously has funds. I just think he's obsessed with the economics of it all

I think that's a myth, which he has allowed to be perpetuated for the benefit of the club's image. Better him looking like a miser, than the club having an image as being skint.

But it seems clear from what the board and Arsene have said on a number times, that he has to work to a very tight budget because of the stadium. They had expected it to be reaping it's regards by now, but unfortunately with the way the housing market went, they are finding it very difficult to shift alot of the apartments built on the old Highbury site.

I think that's a myth, which he has allowed to be perpetuated for the benefit of the club's image. Better him looking like a miser, than the club having an image as being skint.

But it seems clear from what the board and Arsene have said on a number times, that he has to work to a very tight budget because of the stadium. They had expected it to be reaping it's regards by now, but unfortunately with the way the housing market went, they are finding it very difficult to shift alot of the apartments built on the old Highbury site.

Well i stand to be corrected cos i have no idea about Arsenal's financial situation. But when you think about Wengers big money buys, a lot of them have been flops like Wiltord, Jeffers, Reyes etc. Some of them have been alright, Henry was not too bad, got a few goals for them!!!!!!!
    I just wonder if Wenger is weary now of spending a lot on one player these days. Though, i suppose he is splashing out on Arshavin.
    What Arsenal need is a Mike Ashley to bring them on to a sound financial footing and have them challenging again, hey Charles?!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

To the person who, earlier in the thread, asked why Rafa isn't playing Keane more often:

The reason he's leaving him on the bench is, to make a point to Hicks/Gillett/Parry, who bought him in over Rafa's head.

EDIT: I can't be a***d trawling back thru the thread looking for the exact post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Its not really a question about highly people rate Rafa but more about highly people rate Wenger.

Their is no smear campaign against Rafa people generally look at situations and made a rational judgement on what they personally think is right or wrong. The stuff that Rafa has to contend from the media and the fans is a direct result of the fact that if your going to approach football like he does in order to keep people happy you NEED to WIN things regularly.

Alot of people seem to forget that football is about entertainment. The players and managers are their to provide the fans who pay to watch the games entertainment. If like Wenger you provide some of the most captivating sexy football ever seem in the premiership your gonna get ALOT of leeway with both your own fans and fans of other teams.

If like Rafa you approach each match as a tactical game of chess in which substance is valued much more highly than style then to keep people entertained and happy you need to win and win often. I think never was this more true than when it comes to Liverpool fans who have looked the other way at the game not maybe being played in the traditional Liverpool way as they crave that league title and hows its won at this stage is of little importance.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Apparently Spurs would consider taking Robbie back for £15million!!?? Just read it in a link on the Liverpool thread!

opr wrote: »
    Its not really a question about highly people rate Rafa but more about highly people rate Wenger.

Their is no smear campaign against Rafa people generally look at situations and made a rational judgement on what they personally think is right or wrong. The stuff that Rafa has to contend from the media and the fans is a direct result of the fact that if your going to approach football like he does in order to keep people happy you NEED to WIN things regularly.

Alot of people seem to forget that football is about entertainment. The players and managers are their to provide the fans who pay to watch the games entertainment. If like Wenger you provide some of the most captivating sexy football ever seem in the premiership your gonna get ALOT of leeway with both your own fans and fans of other teams.

If like Rafa you approach each match as a tactical game of chess in which substance is valued much more highly than style then to keep people entertained and happy you need to win and win often. I think never was this more true than when it comes to Liverpool fans who have looked the other way at the game not maybe being played in the traditional Liverpool way as they crave that league title and hows its won at this stage is of little importance.

Opr

Yeah but how long will the Arsenal fans put up with the entertaining football without winning anything?
    You do make a good point, but i've been entertained plenty of times since Rafa took over.
    Rafa is cautious, of that, there is no doubt. It's well known that he likes to base his teams play on the great Milan team of the late eighties whom he admires so much.
    I'm not just saying this in hindsight or trying to re-write history, but genuinely the greatest away performance i have ever seen from a team at Anfield was Rafa Benitez's Valencia in the Champions League in, i think, 2002. They won one nil and i had no complaints. It was a joy to watch. Their passing and movement was something to behold and if Rafa could get the players he wants, i think that is the kind of performance he strives for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Its clear from this thread that a lot of United fans want Rafa gone. So he must worry them otherwise why would they be bothered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,923 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think Benitez has gone into Houllier territory with opposition fans. They don't rate him much, but the unknown is who Liverpool get to replace him, or will he be able to turn it around and prove them wrong.

I think opposition fans would love this Benitez to stay as long as possible, as he doesn't seem to get the tactics right to win the premier league, hence, never making Liverpool a major threat. However, there is enough talent in the squad, that if Benitez suddenly cops on to it, they may win the leauge.

It would also be funny as f*ck to see some people's reactions were he to be sacked in the morning. Pighead would have a field day trawling up the old posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I, as an Everton fan hope Liverpool keep Benitez as manager for infinity as he still wouldnt have a clue who to pick for the next match - I mean who is he gonna pick tomorrow - God knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I, as a liverpool fan hope liverpool keep benitez as manager for a very long time he is a fantastic manager and givin full control, he will make the club great again.

He will be remembered in the same way as shankly,paisley and fagan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

redzerdrog wrote: »

He will be remembered in the same way as shankly,paisley and fagan.

Hardly

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Hardly

True, I mean winning a European Cup means nothing these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Hardly

Is it after taking you 17 days to come up with that reply? Was it really worth bumping the thread for that? I'd hazzard a guess at hardly!!!

Advertisement