Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish for Primary Ed. Any ideas???

Options
  • 22-01-2009 1:42pm

Im repeating higher irish for this years leaving and ive just started studyin now. i did pass irish for last years lc and i got a b3. how can i get a c3 in higher? thats 55%, just over half. anyone that did higher hav any shortcuts or know which questions are easier then others???
    need help!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭corkhero

Did my leaving cert 2 years ago.

Id focus on the oral as that has high marks.

the listening also gives marks away for free.

listen to irish radio and tg4 if u have the chance. u wil notice u are understanding stuff more as time goes and your hearing lots of different accents.

not sure what poets are on this years course.

also the essay is vital. id practice a lot on that given how high the marks are.
    wouldnt worry as much about stair na gaeilge if its a c3 your looking for.

damn, the oral in my view is the hardest part...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭crunchycorner

i need to get a C3 in irish for primary ed too...and irish is probably my worst subject! i really don't like it but i'd say i could get a C3 if i try hard enough..only got 52% in my christmas test tho. thing is our irish teacher is like the worst in the school.. he's only done 2 essays with us since fifth year! But i'm starting grinds shortly so hopefully i'll get it..

By the way, thanks to this god dam recession a lot of people are telling me the points for primary teaching will go up a fair bit cos people see it as a safe job (which doesn't really make sense to me cos i thought lots of teachers are being let go!!). someone said the points for mary i would go up to 505 but how would they know this already?? What do you guys think??

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

i think learning the oral is the best general way of studying irish because it helps so much when it comes to essays and the comprehensions. Dont just learn the material of by heart by actually understand what your saying, why your saying it this way, the grammar in your sentences. Do it this way and it becomes a lot more fluent and casual as you try to speak it.

If your a risk taker, for the poets, everyone believes "Da m'bfheidir aris" and "an mhathair" will be coming up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

I'm in the exact same boat except I'm doing french... Did pass since 5th year and I've just moved up to honors today as I need a HC3 in a language for a course I want to do

I've enrolled in a extra classes and stuff but just work hard and you'll be fine (and hopefully I will too);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Firstly, if you're bad at Irish then is primary teaching really for you? Please don't start the course and then not be able to teach a high level of Irish to the kids. It just means that the cycle of students with little or no Irish will continue.

Think about a few current topics in society, for example, the economy, and start writing essays on such topics. Get a teacher to correct them and keep writing them until they are perfect. Make sure you have plenty of different phrases that can be used in essays. Find out which mode you are most comfortable with. If you can write great short stories, or speeches, stick with them. Make sure you can write in the different tenses. Practice comprehension questions over and over, and then practice them again. Paper 1 is important and easy marks can be picked up from it.

For Paper 2, find out which poems/prose texts are likely to come up. Practice answering the types of questions that generally come up.

For the oral, find someone who will speak Irish to you. Practice it whenever you get the chance. Be able to answer questions using the Modh Coinníollach, for example, what you would do if you won the lotto, or if you were Minister for Education.

Finally, be as comfortable as you can be with the language. Don't simply learn off things. Yes, for the Leaving Cert this may seem like the easiest way, but you will do yourself no favours in the long run.

Best of luck.

dood.... that all sounds so hard. im not complainin (well, i am actually), but i just want the easiest way to get through this. i understand wat your saying about if im not good at irish i shouldnt be doing primary ed, but ive done my research. my aunt is a teacher and so are a couple of my moms friends. ive spoken with a lot of different sources. they all say theyve forgotten most of their irish. all of them. no joke. its just the leaving cert and then the college coursework you have to get thru. and u just have to pass it.
    dont get me wrong im goin to do my absolute best for the lc, but im not goin to do anything that will just complicate things.

yeah im def not spending too much time on stair. for an ordinary level student thats impossible/ridiculous. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Redbhoy

Id have thought the stair is the easiest place to pick up marks. You only need to write a few sentences on a topic and there is a good choice.

Listening to RnaG or Radio na Life 106.4fm is good practice for Oral and Aural. It tunes your ear in and theres a max of 45% for those two alone. Make a good effort at those two and you should be able to pick up the extra % in the written papers easily enough.

Ive read somewhere that this is the last year of a 4 year course so the poems and prose that havent been up in the last 3 years are likely to come up. You never know though.

oh really?! were did you here that?? that would be awesome...

oh yeah just a quik question about the course:
    which poems are the dánta dualgais breise ones???
    so confused...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

[quote=[Deleted User];58725297]
    which poems are the dánta dualgais breise ones???
    [/quote]

http://www.skoool.ie/examcentre_senior.asp?id=2092
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

doood...:o
    thanx.

[quote=[Deleted User];58725257]oh really?! were did you here that?? that would be awesome...[/QUOTE]

On here.
    4th down
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055428060

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

[quote=[Deleted User];58724500]dood.... that all sounds so hard. im not complainin (well, i am actually), but i just want the easiest way to get through this. i understand wat your saying about if im not good at irish i shouldnt be doing primary ed, but ive done my research. my aunt is a teacher and so are a couple of my moms friends. ive spoken with a lot of different sources. they all say theyve forgotten most of their irish. all of them. no joke. its just the leaving cert and then the college coursework you have to get thru. and u just have to pass it.
    dont get me wrong im goin to do my absolute best for the lc, but im not goin to do anything that will just complicate things.[/QUOTE]

And then you have to teach the kids Irish. Seriously, if you are not willing to comply with the conditions of the job then don't do it.

Take my advice above and start learning Irish properly or don't bother with primary school teaching. People like you is why people arrive in 1st year and think that the only verb is 'Ta'.

janeybabe wrote: »
    And then you have to teach the kids Irish. Seriously, if you are not willing to comply with the conditions of the job then don't do it.
    Take my advice above and start learning Irish properly or don't bother with primary school teaching. People like you is why people arrive in 1st year and think that the only verb is 'Ta'.

Im far from fluent but would feel confident enough to teach primary school kids Irish. But I have a major interest in the Irish language and culture.

I think the love of Irish needs to be instilled in kids before they try to learn it otherwise they wont want to learn it.

to janey.

dood, do you have a problem with this? i was just asking for some pointers. and yes i will be able to teach irish. its only primary level. the skill is the teaching!!! i think i know wat im doing, thankyou for your imput.
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

[quote=[Deleted User];58732424]to janey.

dood, do you have a problem with this? i was just asking for some pointers. and yes i will be able to teach irish. its only primary level. the skill is the teaching!!! i think i know wat im doing, thankyou for your imput.
    :mad:[/QUOTE]

Are you serious? I'm in a primary teaching college now and believe me, you need to be fluent in Irish to teach the children it. Firstly, Irish is taught through Irish now in the colleges and we have to teach Irish through Irish to the children. That means, not explaining or using English at all in an Irish lesson in a primary classroom. Most people in the course who got a c in their leaving cert Irish are often struggling with the demand for good Irish throughout the year.

To say "Its only primary level" is an absolute misjudgement on what is expected of you in terms of Irish. If you're only scraping a c3 in your Irish in Leaving Cert, I would seriously consider doing this course.

Look at it this way. How do you expect to teach a class of children a language you barely understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

[quote=[Deleted User];58732424]to janey.

:mad:[/QUOTE]

This argument is completely unprofessional. You will be paid to teach the language so you should be aiming to make sure you know what you are doing.

Your casual attitude is exactly what gives teaching a bad name. Taxpayers are getting fed up with this attitude. You seem to get annoyed when posters suggest that you should endeavor to cover the course properly and not just go for the bare minimum. Imo if you dont feel passionate about something then it's very difficult to teach.

You haven't even started training to be a teacher and you're already trying to find ways to cut corners. Why do you want to be teacher?

because im great with kids and i know il be good at it.
    its just one detail, you cant judge me. god, i was just asking about the irish lc!!!
    your a damn spastic. i didnt ask for professional advise. jeeze.
    no point pickin an argument with me im just gonna laugh at you:
    haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Kenzie Salmon Lightning banned for 5 days for personal abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

In b4 lock :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

[quote=[Deleted User];58741186]because im great with kids and i know il be good at it.
    its just one detail, you cant judge me. god, i was just asking about the irish lc!!!
    your a damn spastic. i didnt ask for professional advise. jeeze.
    no point pickin an argument with me im just gonna laugh at you:
    haha.[/QUOTE]

Very reassuring to know that someone who uses name-calling in an argument could be out there teaching future generations within three years:rolleyes:

Maturity also helps when you are responsible for a group of children.

I'm not surprised you think you're great with kids! Wonder how they'll feel when you start calling them names...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

'It's only ___________ level' is never a good approach to take when preparing to teach.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

You have no business in primary teaching if you don't have the required level of Gaeilge to scrape through the Leaving Cert. Seriously. Great points made by janeybabe and dolliemix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 needHelp!!

Hi There!

I am looking for advice! I never did Irish in school as i lived outside the country for a number of years. At the time i didnt realize the opportunity i was losing out on. I studied Arts in college and realized i wanted to be a primary teacher, here is the problem. So instead of knuckling down to irish i decided maybe ill try another career and see what happens. So A Higher diploma and a masters later (all in IT and Business) and 1.5 years experience (in US now) i have decided that i should have stuck to my original decison! Now, i am motivated and i am hard working and passionate about this career.

Is it possible to learn irish by June 2010 leaving cert ?? :-{ I am thinking of returning to cork and moving back in with my parents in order to concentrate on the studies. So if you think it is possible, anyone have any advice on courses? or even heard of anyone learning irish in 18 months ?? :-{

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭RandomIrl

you could possibly get a good grasp of the basics of the language but learing irish from the very beginning and aiming for a c3 in a higher level paper, wouldnt be on a whole realistic.maybe a couple ofintense trips to a serious gaeltacht may help in someway. But best of luck to you if you decide to do it. if you do make sure you find out what poems will be on for the year you intend to take the exam in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

The best way I could see it being achieved would be to move to gaeltacht for a bit. Learn the rules and all that stuff. Its possibly achievable but i'm not sure tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 needHelp!!

I could put my head down for the year, get grinds, spend weekends in the gaeltacht?!! Thank you for your honesty though, maybe i should be more realistic...

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Spend about 5 - 10 minutes every night revising Irish grammar. If your written Irish is littered with mistakes, you'll be at a big disadvantage. Geta simple Irish Grammar book. Perhaps you could get somebody to explain the grammar first to yopu in English, So many people remember being in school and saying - 'Caol le caol agus leathan le leathan' yet not having a clue what it meant because it was never explained in English.
    I understand it now but didn't for some of my years in primary and early secondary school. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I'd say its fairly impossible to learn the language, become fluent enough to get through the orals, know what to listen for in the tape, and have the entire pass + honours course (a total of something like 10 poems, 6 stories and a novel ?) in one year... along with being able to write essays on the situation of the economy agus gach sort eile...

Maybe by Leaving Cert 2014

The other option I can think of, and I know requirements for primary teaching is HL C3 at LC level...but, if you did an Arts degree with Irish as a module.. I don't see how you could be refused. Obviously if you're competent enough to complete a degree in it, you've got the level. You're also going back to college while the recession is here, a good place to be, you're adding more things to your CV / education... All you have to do then is your hdip and...bam..

Advertisement